kat costa
United States
Paradise
California
flag msg tools
badge
Who dares disturb the Hobnob Goblin?
mbmbmbmbmb
Escape Room board games have been popping up like crazy in the past couple of years. They are meant to simulate the experience of being locked in a room and having to work together with your friends to solve puzzles and unravel mysteries in order to get out.

There has been an explosion in Escape Room board games in the last couple of years. Personally, I've never been in a real Escape Room or played a genuine Escape Room -themed game, but they just sound cool. I'm excited to try out this new genre.

Poll
Have you ever been in a real, physical escape-the-room setup?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Yes
45.9% 117
No, but now I kind of want to
34.9% 89
No, and I’d rather not
19.2% 49
Voters 255
Have you ever played an Escape Room app or video game?
Yes
34.5% 88
22.7% 58
No, and I’d rather not
42.7% 109
Voters 255
Have you ever played an Escape Room board game?
Yes
43.0% 108
34.3% 86
No, and I’d rather not
22.7% 57
Voters 251
Here are the top ten most-rated games in the Escape Room family, all published 2016-17. What do you think of them?
  Played and Liked Played and Meh Played and Disliked Have not tried Vote Count
Deckscape: Test Time 3.9% (9) 0.9% (2) 0.0% (0) 95.2% (218) 229
Escape the Room: Mystery at the Stargazer's Manor 8.3% (19) 3.9% (9) 0.9% (2) 87.0% (200) 230
Escape Room: The Game 11.1% (25) 3.1% (7) 0.4% (1) 85.3% (192) 225
Exit: The Game – The Abandoned Cabin 17.2% (40) 0.9% (2) 0.9% (2) 81.0% (188) 232
Exit: The Game – The Pharaoh's Tomb 11.4% (26) 4.4% (10) 0.9% (2) 83.4% (191) 229
Exit: The Game – The Secret Lab 18.3% (42) 1.7% (4) 0.9% (2) 79.1% (182) 230
Unlock! Escape Adventures 16.6% (38) 2.2% (5) 0.9% (2) 80.3% (184) 229
Unlock! The Formula 14.8% (34) 3.1% (7) 0.9% (2) 81.2% (186) 229
Unlock! The Island of Doctor Goorse 8.3% (19) 3.1% (7) 2.2% (5) 86.4% (197) 228
Total Voters 236
The Unlock! series of Escape Room games requires an app that provides clues and checks codes. What do you think of this?
I like it. There are multiple phones at every game table now, so why not use them to help us play?
31.9% 76
I don’t care.
39.1% 93
I don’t like it when a board game requires an app. I’m trying to get away from technology when I play analog games!
26.1% 62
I don’t like that specific app but am otherwise neutral or positive on apps in board games.
2.9% 7
Voters 238
This poll is now closed.   256 answers
Poll created by kataclysm
Closes: Thu Feb 1, 2018 6:00 am

If you enjoy these polls, you can subscribe to the TGIF Poll Subscription Thread.

New! If you are female, you can take part in the TGIF Women's Poll. Same questions, but the poll is only open to the 10% of us on BGG who are female or gender-diverse.

Discussion: What do you think of the whole Escape Room craze? Have you participated in it? What do you think is behind its sudden popularity?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For a moment I thought there: wow we all share the same thoughts... All answers are 100%... I was quickly scrolling and at question 3 I realized I was the first to answer the poll blush

I like escape card/board games and because of the time issue the alpha player problem isn't really a problem here. I do dislike the "creativity". Some escape room games want or expect you to look at unusual places (out of the box thinking) for answers to riddles or require you to look at things as if it wasn't a real escape room. If you want to simulate that you are locked up, then also keep it realistic. I don't mean fantasy theme here, for example I would mean:
let's say you have the exit door and you would need to look at the other side of the card for an answer to the riddle. If you think of this realistically then this would not be possible, since the door is locked and you can't look at the other side of the door.

Spoiler alert about Unlock! The Island of Doctor Goorse:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
This game is an example of what really irritates me. To solve this one and escape the island you need to look at the map and you'll see that the buildings make 2 numbers. In real life this wouldn't be possible, since you are ON the island and you don't see the island from ABOVE. We didn't get this part quickly enough, because we were thinking
too much about what would be possible in real life. It's not that we can't think out of the box, but we don't see a reason to it here, because you "should think you're playing a real escape room".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny Enough I haven't play the exact ones that were rated so highly, but I have play a couple of the variations.

I liked Unlock! Cheese and Sausage or whatever it was called. The app was cool because when we got stuck (which happened a couple times) it was able to clue us in how to proceed without dragging the game. Also being able to pass it on to another group was really nice since you don't mess the game up in any way using it.

I play Deckscape: London Bomb or whatever it was called and I liked that as well. We had about 6 people start the game and more people came and joined in as we were playing and that worked fine. It was cool that multiple people could solve different puzzles at the same time without issue. We did get really stuck at one point and had to use the clue card.

The one thing I REALLY DID NOT LIKE was They tell you to write on ONE CARD with the obvious cash in that it can't be used again. So unsuspecting people will ruin a game when the information was easily tracked on a piece of separate paper (which we did) but I like being able to give these to other people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
A large part of my job is creating escape rooms for county parks.

The board games are a pale imitation, and too often rely on "pixel hunt" style puzzles, which are neither fair nor fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
We've played one or more of the rooms for all the different escape room games currently available in the US except for Escape Room In A Box: The Werewolf Experiment and I just can't praise the Thinkfun series enough (Escape the Room: Mystery at the Stargazer's Manor and Escape the Room: Secret of Dr. Gravely's Retreat). They've been just the right mix of puzzles and accessories and the production quality is incredible for the price. They're a little too linear for a larger group, but then basically every boxed escape room is.

At the bottom of the stack (way at the bottom) is the Unlock! series. We keep getting them because "eight dollar escape room" but we've had at least one frustrating or very negative experience with each of them so far. For a game with only three instructions they're maddeningly confusing and spotty. One set in particular has an error on one of the cards that could have at least been noted in the app but it's not. We didn't feel bad about missing the time on that one. The app is full of potential but not used very well - hopefully as the series goes on they'll come up with something more innovative than "play a three-second audio clip once in the whole puzzle".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Blomquist
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

The board games are a pale imitation, and too often rely on "pixel hunt" style puzzles, which are neither fair nor fun.

I haven't tried any of the physical ones (and would like to) but in my experience that's not really that common among the Exit games at least (the only board game ones I've tried). I thought of the first three the Pharaoh one was the only one that I didn't love, and that was the only one that I remember having anything like that to any significant degree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaur
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kataclysm wrote:
Same questions, but the poll is only open to the 10% of us on BGG who are female or gender-diverse.

That can't possibly be right! Only 10% of the people on BGG are female or gender-diverse?!

I didn't realize how dramatic the discrepancy was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
jblomquist wrote:
Geosphere wrote:

I haven't tried any of the physical ones (and would like to) but in my experience that's not really that common among the Exit games at least (the only board game ones I've tried). I thought of the first three the Pharaoh one was the only one that I didn't love, and that was the only one that I remember having anything like that to any significant degree.

If anyone on BGG is in the Nassau County NY area (Old Bethpage Park), when we reopen in spring, contact me and I will get you discounts for your group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kat costa
United States
Paradise
California
flag msg tools
badge
Who dares disturb the Hobnob Goblin?
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaur wrote:
kataclysm wrote:
Same questions, but the poll is only open to the 10% of us on BGG who are female or gender-diverse.

That can't possibly be right! Only 10% of the people on BGG are female or gender-diverse?!

It's 11.7% now, on checking the site-wide demographic poll. That's actually way up from the last poll, where we were about 5%. Crazy, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
kataclysm wrote:
Kaur wrote:
kataclysm wrote:

It's 11.7% now, on checking the site-wide demographic poll. That's actually way up from the last poll, where we were about 5%. Crazy, right?

I got 13.7% female and 1.2% other label on the poll I did, but with fewer respondents. Still low.
A survey of the BGG gamer! Find out what your fellow gamers like to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell McKinney
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
The grumpiest grump
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in Orlando, and because we are a tourist Mecca, we have more escape rooms than you can shake a stick at, and all of them are trying to outdo one another. This makes me very happy, because I used to play a lot of point-and-click, puzzley sort of games, and to me escape rooms have that sort of feel to them. That's awesome!

The escape room board/card games are all very wonderfully made, and I've only done one or two that I can think of being slightly disappointed in. My absolute favorite of the genre, right now, is Escape Room In A Box: The Werewolf Experiment. That one was the most interesting, fun, and challenging so far.
Plus, you get a neat little trinket after you win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard Hustle
United States
Sharonville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mmmmm...delicious cheese coney...
mbmbmbmbmb
fullbloodlion wrote:
I live in Orlando, and because we are a tourist Mecca, we have more escape rooms than you can shake a stick at, and all of them are trying to outdo one another. This makes me very happy, because I used to play a lot of point-and-click, puzzley sort of games, and to me escape rooms have that sort of feel to them. That's awesome!

The escape room board/card games are all very wonderfully made, and I've only done one or two that I can think of being slightly disappointed in. My absolute favorite of the genre, right now, is Escape Room In A Box: The Werewolf Experiment. That one was the most interesting, fun, and challenging so far.
Plus, you get a neat little trinket after you win!

I have played nearly all of the "Escape Room in a Box" genre. And the production quality in the werewolf escape was excellent. I would expect it to be, considering what it cost on KS. It was really nice having the physical bits, instead an an app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember Zork. What was the question? laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I go play escape rooms, I play the role of "Poirot." While the other people are wandering the room looking for things, I just sit back and watch and when they find something interesting, I call them over and tell them what to do with it.

That seems to work pretty well. I've beaten the speed records in escape rooms the last few times out...three in a row now.

Pete (supposes the administrators of these escape rooms might be lying to him to make him feel good about himself)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

I prefer "pixel hunts" to "everything is just a bunch of number combinations" puzzles. Those take virtually zero imagination. It's just "find number and plug them in."

Pete (finds those kinds of puzzles totally trivial)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.