United States
Byron
Illinois
flag msg tools
www.fourcolordemons.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everybody!

I have a few questions about the tutorial. How long does it take? Does it count as a game or does it show you the ropes and then resets for your first game. Do I need to play the tutorial after watching Rodney’s Watch It Played? Only I know rules and will have to teach my SO how to play.

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Johnson
United States
Athens
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think the tutorial took us about 90 minutes from set up to end when we went through it. The tutorial is a playable scenario, and you are not guaranteed to successfully complete ("win") the tutorial, so I'd definitely count it as a game. It doesn't include some of the layers that later scenarios do (like the ability to break up), but I think it's a wholly adequate and enjoyable tutorial that will walk you and whomever you're playing with through all the rules and flow of the game.

In short, I'd 10/10 recommend going through it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't find the tutorial fun as while it does explain what to do, it takes far too long to explain why you are doing it. The tutorial also includes reading the entire text of the instruction manual, just broken up into chunks instead of all at once (so why not read it ahead of time). Finally, it kills the flow for the game as you play a bit, then read a page of rules, then play a bit, then read a page of rules. Playing through it made it so that my play partner didn't really want to play it a second time. My play partner did enjoy the game more the second time.

Also, I suspect that because of the structure of the tutorial, people who go through it end up placing far more importance on fulfilling trait goals than they should. For much of the tutorial you only have trait goals to guide you, but in a real game you should be aiming for destinies. The end result, players end up forming a habit of making trait goals play goals, instead of seeing trait goals as one tool amongst many in your quest to meet your destiny.

If I could go back in time, I would have done what I do normally when I play a game for the first time. I would have read the rules, explained the rules, then played. First play would have been a far greater success that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Snyder
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
chearns wrote:
I didn't find the tutorial fun as while it does explain what to do, it takes far too long to explain why you are doing it. The tutorial also includes reading the entire text of the instruction manual, just broken up into chunks instead of all at once (so why not read it ahead of time). Finally, it kills the flow for the game as you play a bit, then read a page of rules, then play a bit, then read a page of rules. Playing through it made it so that my play partner didn't really want to play it a second time. My play partner did enjoy the game more the second time.

Also, I suspect that because of the structure of the tutorial, people who go through it end up placing far more importance on fulfilling trait goals than they should. For much of the tutorial you only have trait goals to guide you, but in a real game you should be aiming for destinies. The end result, players end up forming a habit of making trait goals play goals, instead of seeing trait goals as one tool amongst many in your quest to meet your destiny.

If I could go back in time, I would have done what I do normally when I play a game for the first time. I would have read the rules, explained the rules, then played. First play would have been a far greater success that way.

This is basically how I felt, although I haven't actually got it to the table a second time...I kept thinking during the tutorial that I could've read the rules straight through and played a full game quicker and without the breakup in gameplay. I would definitely like to try it the game again soon though and get the full, uninterrupted experience.

I had read and heard that a lot of people praised the tutorial though, so it seems to work for some people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrvague101 wrote:
I had read and heard that a lot of people praised the tutorial though, so it seems to work for some people.

I suspect that the tutorial will definitely work better for people who don't have experience with games that are this complicated/have this many moving parts. Which is likely the vast majority of the people who use walmart.com.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Johnson
United States
Athens
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The game isn't a complex one, so if your partner is a regular gamer then you're probably more than fine to skip the tutorial.

I think all of the interruptions that the tutorial introduces are actually beneficial to newbies and/or unseasoned gamers as it gives them time to think, process, and ask questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Engelbrecht-Gollander
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I designed most of the tutorial. I would say that if you are gamers and don't mind reading rules. THen by all means read the rules , and actually in that case I would also skip the sunday morning date love story.

The tutorial is designed to teach you all the rules while playing so in many ways it is like reading the rulebook while playing.

That style isn't for everyone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend doing the tutorial, then playing Sunday Morning Date again as a proper game.

The tutorial taught us how to play whilst playing, it was fine for us. The second game was more fun, but basically because we were roleplaying better after learning how to play.

I think that if you just read the manual, you're still going to be learning during your first game, so you might as well 'waste' that first learning game on the tutorial rather than on one of the other Love Stories.

Eco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.