Subject: Ranking for Spirit Island rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Karl Wobbe
Canada
Pickering
Ontario
flag msg tools
OK so I know the geek rank is a bit of a magical mystery in how it gets figured out but Spirit Island is currently ranked at #182.

Thing is everyone seems to love it including the reviewers. And I again I know it happens a fair bit but in this case had I not been specifically beating on the "Adv. Search" options I would have totally missed this game.

So figure I'd just...post my first poll!
Poll
Do you think Spirit Island is ranked appropriately at #182?
Should be higher
Sounds about right
It's not even that good
      151 answers
Poll created by Kobey_333

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobey_333 wrote:
Thing is everyone seems to love it including the reviewers. And I again I know it happens a fair but but in this case had I not been specifically beating on the "Adv. Search" options I would have totally missed this game.

There are probably more than 200 good games. Looking by ranking should work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris M
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it's just a hunch, but I have a feeling this poll is going to have extreme bias.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it should and will be higher. The way the BGG rankings work, games that have fewer ratings get penalized. Spirit Island has 1.8K ratings with a very high average; as it gets more ratings, the average will probably drop a bit, but it will also move way up in the rankings.

My estimate (back when it was first released) was that 3K ratings at its current average would be enough to put it in the top 100, which means people searching casually will start seeing it.

Of course overall ranking are only a very rough guide to what games to consider for any particular person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spirit Island is already ranked very, very highly!

BGG currently has about 15000 games that are ranked (and many more that are not ranked), so Spirit Island is already in the top 1.5% of even just the ranked games. The game is very new and rose quickly. There are lots of great games that are ranked lower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
Between the time the original post was made and now, it rose to #174.

It's average rating is higher than a majority of the games in the top 10. That'll come down some, but the weight that GeekRating gives to number of ratings is definitely having an effect here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've been watching the rankings for a while. When I bought the game it was around 500, and it's been steadily climbing ever since. I'm cautiously expecting it to break the top 100.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Wobbe
Canada
Pickering
Ontario
flag msg tools
cmabr002 wrote:
Maybe it's just a hunch, but I have a feeling this poll is going to have extreme bias.

...so true...even worse is it never occurred to me to post in the general area...cause it was directly related to Spirit Island.

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There'll be a German edition later this year, which will add a good number of rankings (and I predict, high rankings mostly) => necessary for climbing ever higher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does it really matter? Geek ranking doesn't say much about how good a game is, it's more about how many other people on BGG think it should be high in the rankings.

I'd prefer to play Spirit Island over Gloomhaven any time, but Gloomhaven is sitting at #1. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Spirit Island is amazing. But clearly my tastes are pretty far-off from main-stream geeks.

Its heavy and co-op, so I imagine that puts off a lot of people. Though apparently the same traits don't put people off of Gloomhaven. Though I sorta suspect that the people that really wouldn't like Gloomhaven probably won't be as likely to try it due to the high effort required to start playing. Much like all the people that really hate legacy games probably are never going to play Pandemic Legacy to begin with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Zev
msg tools
mb
nobody82b wrote:
Does it really matter? Geek ranking doesn't say much about how good a game is, it's more about how many other people on BGG think it should be high in the rankings.

I'd prefer to play Spirit Island over Gloomhaven any time, but Gloomhaven is sitting at #1. shake

It matters because better ranking = more publicity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Eric Reuss
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Arcanist Lupus wrote:
nobody82b wrote:

It matters because better ranking = more publicity.

This is somewhat true, though I've had multiple publishers tell me that BGG users think BGG is far more relevant to / representative of the industry at large than is actually the case. :-)

While I suspect that, as others have said, Spirit Island will probably continue moving up as it gets more rankings, it's keeping *excellent* company where it is right now. The BGG rankings are more about popularity than quality (the two correlate, but not 1:1; also, trying to define "quality" is a rabbithole that keeps going down), and there's some mighty popular games up there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cmabr002 wrote:

Haha! My thoughts exactly. We subscribed to the game most likely because we like it a lot.

It’s kind of like asking a group of Lakers season-ticket holders if the Lakers are better than the other teams. Kind of. You get my point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sum
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never paid attention to ranking, however, new games usually catch my eye when they are on the hotness. That is how I found Spirit Island in fact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stéphane B

Gatineau
Québec
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i don't pay attention to rankings when it comes to games i'd be interested in playing or not. I have tried some 'hot games' like Century and Azul, and would never ever pick them off a shelf over games like Spirit island. But a lot of people would, apparently.

I'm fine with liking a game that is not in the top 100.. in fact, i like quite a few of games not ranked in the top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a great game. It'd be cool to see it break into the top 100, but honestly anything in the top 500 is likely a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Steinberg
United States
North Miami Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it's currently ranked at #167 right now. I do hope it gets higher as it really is a great change up theme wise while still being a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
darker wrote:

This is somewhat true, though I've had multiple publishers tell me that BGG users think BGG is far more relevant to / representative of the industry at large than is actually the case. :-)

As an additional data point, I've also heard from publishers that distributors place an inordinate amount of value on BGG rankings.

Perhaps that evens out the publisher's view and BGG rankings have exactly zero effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M

Chapel Hill
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a great game, my #1, even. So of course I feel it should be ranked higher, but I can recognize the limited distribution means it'll take some time for it to rise through the ratings. I also think that as much as I love this game, it's not really a game for everyone. My favorite player counts for it are 2-3, because at 4, it can be too heavy a game for many groups. Not that it's not wonderful at 4, it's great, but it runs longer & is significantly heavier, so I never really feel that teaching it at 4 is the right decision.

For me, though, this game will always be special because it was the first board game my best friend enjoyed & bought. I tried so many games to get her into the hobby, but she saw the box of this one, asked to play it, and loved it. The rules are not really very complex (although you'll likely get little details wrong), so it's a rare heavy game that doesn't require knowledge of a million mechanics. This game was the first time she really understood why someone would play a board game rather than a video game, besides the social aspect. That'll keep it near the top of my list, permanently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pureka

Massachusetts
msg tools
I definitely feel like the limited availability has been holding this game back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Aren't you glad I'm not the pied piper?
badge
Move a little closer so I can reach out and light your beard on fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
I took a serious beating on my first game of this, but enjoyed it a lot. This game has serious potential to reach top ranks I think. Just my first take on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.