Dungeon Degenerates: Hand of Doom» Forums » Rules

Subject: Dungeon Degenerates new guy questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
wes c
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Hi gang! Pretty new to DD, but I love it so far. Here's a couple questions I couldn't answer for myself...

If there are multiple parties and one is in combat and the other isn't, does the non-combat party just have to wait around for the combat party to wrap it up? If not, how does the turn progression work?

Is a skill assigned to a character unavailable to other characters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
Playing more games is better!
badge
Collecting games is not playing games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Never split the party! Seriously though I think they just hang out, unless you are each playing separate adventures on the same board. Which actually sounds interesting but difficult to pull off. Danger levels swinging all over the place, could be fun to try.

As far as I know once a skill is picked up only that person can have it. But I would like to be wrong. I got my wish? Yay?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Radey
United States
EL CERRITO
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
welcome!
1. If one party has combat & the other doesn't, wait until the combat is over to start a new turn for either party, otherwise it will be somewhat confusing. I'd also highly recommend not splitting the party at all until you are somewhat comfortable with the game as combat gets extra scary with a smaller party.

2. A single adventurer cannot have multiple copies of the same skill, but you can have multiple adventurers in a party with the same skill, as long as you have multiple copies of the card and the card isn't 'unique' (there are no unique skills yet at this point).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wes c
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
cultofmars wrote:
welcome!
1. If one party has combat & the other doesn't, wait until the combat is over to start a new turn for either party, otherwise it will be somewhat confusing. I'd also highly recommend not splitting the party at all until you are somewhat comfortable with the game as combat gets extra scary with a smaller party.

Aren't the combat difficulties scaled to party size?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toxicwes wrote:
Aren't the combat difficulties scaled to party size?

The number of opponents scales, but the difficulty is another matter. Having fewer characters means fewer tactical options. e.g. if you have 3 characters, there's a fairly decent chance that at least one of them will not have a monster engaged with them, which leaves them available to open up a can of whoopass on the monsters while the engaged characters are more likely to have to stay in a "guarded" stance to keep from being overwhelmed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chick
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
badge
cultofmars wrote:
2. A single adventurer cannot have multiple copies of the same skill, but you can have multiple adventurers in a party with the same skill, as long as you have multiple copies of the card and the card isn't 'unique' (there are no unique skills yet at this point).

Ah, that would explain the wording on the Mend Wounds card. I couldn't figure out how I was supposed to parse that!

I don't mean to be dense here, but if the intent was to let players duplicate skills, is that in the rules somewhere? I mean, you obviously don't expect us to buy multiple copies of the game so more than one character can learn Combat Reflexes or Shrug Off Pain, but that's kind of a big deal to know we're supposed to be able to do that. I have no problem making proxies, but from reading the rules, it sounds like skills are strictly component limited.

-Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Radey
United States
EL CERRITO
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Quote:
I don't mean to be dense here, but if the intent was to let players duplicate skills, is that in the rules somewhere?

The rules Appendix covers specifically adding more cards to the game & states that you can include duplicate cards as long as they're not 'unique'.

Quote:
I mean, you obviously don't expect us to buy multiple copies of the game so more than one character can learn Combat Reflexes or Shrug Off Pain, but that's kind of a big deal to know we're supposed to be able to do that.

I don't expect it, but many people have bought multiple copies of the game. If you want, you can get a second copy of the game and mash the skills together so you can have two guys with combat reflexes. Personally, I find it more fun to give everybody different skills because I'm more interested in stories & themes than in 'winning the game', although that's my personal preference & I've also beaten the game already many times.

Quote:
I have no problem making proxies, but from reading the rules, it sounds like skills are strictly component limited.

If you're the kind of guy that's going to make proxies, I think you're going to do that regardless of what the rules say and you might even be making up your own skills. If you want to play the game 'normal style', just use the cards it came with. Something you might not already be aware of is that the character pack expansions come with Skills & some of those are duplicates of skills that already come in the base set or another character pack.
This means, for example, that if you bought both character packs, you'd have two copies of the Claws skill. This allows you to run the Alley Cat & Cloaked Killer together, both sporting Claws (for example).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chick
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
badge
cultofmars wrote:
Quote:
I don't mean to be dense here, but if the intent was to let players duplicate skills, is that in the rules somewhere?

The rules Appendix covers specifically adding more cards to the game & states that you can include duplicate cards as long as they're not 'unique'.

Ah, so it does! Thanks for pointing that out, Eric. I'd missed it.

cultofmars wrote:

If you're the kind of guy that's going to make proxies, I think you're going to do that regardless of what the rules say and you might even be making up your own skills.

Oh, on the contrary, Eric! On the contrary. I have a weird need for the folks who make a game to tell me how to play. I want to play their design and not my design, so I get a burr under my saddle when I can't figure out stuff like whether components are supply limited. I'm into narrative as much as the next guy, but first, I need all my systems in place! :)

I freely admit it's my own little idiosyncrasy, and I definitely appreciate how gracious you've been encouraging people to do whatever they like to make the game most fun for them. But I'm also glad to see that the rules specify that multiple copies of anything not marked unique are within the parameters of your design. God, I sound so formal, don't I? "Within the parameters of your design". Ugh. Anyway, that's my own kink. Thanks for indulging it.

-Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Radey
United States
EL CERRITO
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Quote:
Oh, on the contrary, Eric! On the contrary. I have a weird need for the folks who make a game to tell me how to play. I want to play their design and not my design, so I get a burr under my saddle when I can't figure out stuff like whether components are supply limited. I'm into narrative as much as the next guy, but first, I need all my systems in place!

in that case, just use the cards that come in the base set & expansions and everything will be just fine! This means you'll end up with multiple copies of some skills but only one copy of others.
If you start making your own proxies, let's assume you're now in 'messing around with the game' territory (which again is something I wouldn't discourage in the slightest, but it's not for everybody and you definitely want to have played a few times first)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.