Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's an issue with most Eklund rulebooks. As I get older, the font size is getting to be a bigger and bigger issue for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Jannin
France
SAUTRON
Loire Atlantique
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I so need something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gus Gaona
msg tools
mbmbmb
Very nice! Don't own the game yet, but have been reading the manual on an iPad. Didn't realize how small the printed version is. Will probably end up doing what you did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
senorcoo wrote:
That's an issue with most Eklund rulebooks. As I get older, the font size is getting to be a bigger and bigger issue for me.

Another reason that ALL RULES should be made available as downloadable searchable PDFs. (Publishers who don't provide them as a matter of policy are just misguided.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I found it surprisingly usable, at least from a size perspective, during play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
That's why I take the Living Rules and publish them as an epub from Google Drive. Works perfectly, and I can then adjust the font, and point size on my own reading device.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first thing my wife noticed was issued with the gutter (the space between two pages on the inside bound edge of the book). With the staple bound rules you could get it to sit flat, but on pages with images in the gutter they are hard to make out (pages 25-26, 27-38, 42) as well as several pages where the text becomes difficult to read as the bend of the page obfuscates some of it.

I noted that the player aid has no indication of advanced rules, and thus is only moderately useful for the basic game (and thus not something you can give to a new player to use).

Overall, its an improvement, but they definitely needed a new layout and enjoy the perfect binding on it (looks more professional), but the page layout needs to accommodate the larger gutters and the greater page bending required to avoid snapping the book's spine.

(Also, my eyes are old for my age and thus I have "floaters" which sit in the center of my eyeball - this means I have a dozen or two grey translucent squigglies in my field of view most of the time obstructing my vision. I just print living rules also - I have a great deal of trouble with the small print, especially in dim light.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always make game aids for any Eklund game I play to help me process the rules.

Pax Ren's card flavor text pushes the limit of my vision to its max.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wikiro Trio
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Convert PDF and Foxit (turns rulebook into audio.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would pay for a larger rulebook like this!

Failing that, I'd like to get a copy of the 2nd edition rulebook. I presume one doesn't have to have the update kit (I prefer the original art) to use the new rulebook?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ezra Strong

Juneau
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The other thing in the upgrade kit other than rules and the redone cards is the fourth biont of each color for 1-3 player games. If you want to use a substitute or ignore that rule, you're fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the rulebook was designed more for microorganisms than macroorgansims...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Kruczek
Poland
Legnica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdrianPHague wrote:
I think the rulebook was designed more for microorganisms than macroorgansims...

And second edition rulebook requires opposing thumbs to open and hold which none organism in game have
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.