Catacombs (third edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: questions on integration guide rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CardBoard Bear

California
msg tools
mbmbmb
I know the overseer can make his own rulings but I was wondering the original intention. all my questions refer to playing C3E, not Castles.

1. does Malachi HAVE to change sequence every turn, or can he stay in the same form/sequence for consecutive turns?

2. Vysara and Aprill together can start with a total of 3 fireballs, however there are only 2 cards. is it intentional to limit the powerful spell, and they are supposed to choose a substitute spell?

3. is Beeble the dwarf miner really supposed to use the Rune Axe (template weapon) every turn instead of his normal sequence? Looks quite powerful so I was wondering if the 3 slots (permanent item) was a typo or not.

4. Victoria M (and black team Aprill) HAS to change sequence every turn, right?

the Matriarch has the wolves as minions. the wolves have regeneration but only 1 health. I was thinking to have them regenerate the Matriarch's health.

a cheeky comment on the Acorn strike: "must hit an obstacle with a flat surface." all obstacles have a flat surface but I know it means "on" a flat surface. in C3E's standard maps, I'm going to try let the heroes use any obstacle, otherwise it doesn't seem that useful.

by the way the integration guide for Maireye says "summon flame antient", but the icon is the stone antient (I know it's the stone antient).

EDIT: I wrote fireball but of course I meant giant fireball

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben Dorpmans
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
1. does Malachi HAVE to change sequence every turn, or can he stay in the same form/sequence for consecutive turns?

He can stay in the same form for consecutive turns

Quote:
2. Vysara and Aprill together can start with a total of 3 fireballs, however there are only 2 cards. is it intentional to limit the powerful spell, and they are supposed to choose a substitute spell?

Probably just not enough components. I don't think the intention was to power them down or that they weren't able to be used together.

Quote:
3. is Beeble the dwarf miner really supposed to use the Rune Axe (template weapon) every turn instead of his normal sequence? Looks quite powerful so I was wondering if the 3 slots (permanent item) was a typo or not.

He can use it every turn (except if it's indeed a typo). I don't have the expansion yet so I haven't tested him yet, but now that I think of it, it does seem pretty OP yeah, easily hitting multiple targets a turn.

Quote:

She has to change every turn yes, but I'm not sure if she skips a sequence if she's stuck under a bite token for a turn.

Quote:
the Matriarch has the wolves as minions. the wolves have regeneration but only 1 health. I was thinking to have them regenerate the Matriarch's health.

It's indeed strange that the wolves have regeneration

Quote:
a cheeky comment on the Acorn strike: "must hit an obstacle with a flat surface." all obstacles have a flat surface but I know it means "on" a flat surface. in C3E's standard maps, I'm going to try let the heroes use any obstacle, otherwise it doesn't seem that useful.

Wait I didn't realize this surprise would be strange to not allow him on the C3E obstacles

Quote:
by the way the integration guide for Maireye says "summon flame antient", but the icon is the stone antient (I know it's the stone antient).

This has been updated in the newer version of the integration guide, V1.2:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v476wwmiica7jsn/catacombs_and_cast...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CardBoard Bear

California
msg tools
mbmbmb
talking about OP, the Castles abilities Embrace the flames (melee, fireball, melee, fireball) and Channel the cyclone (melee, vortex, melee, vortex) are probably a bit too much for a standard C3E game, though in theory can be chosen as 1/room abilities. Especially compared to Xoric who has 2x (4 chain melee) set as 1/game.

I would probably restrict those out as overseer unless I'm setting up a challenging dungeon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben Dorpmans
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
CardBear wrote:
talking about OP, the Castles abilities Embrace the flames (melee, fireball, melee, fireball) and Channel the cyclone (melee, vortex, melee, vortex) are probably a bit too much for a standard C3E game, though in theory can be chosen as 1/room abilities. Especially compared to Xoric who has 2x (4 chain melee) set as 1/game.

I would probably restrict those out as overseer unless I'm setting up a challenging dungeon

Yeah, I've restricted the 2 cost castle ability cards from C3E for the reasons you listed (Xoric etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CardBoard Bear

California
msg tools
mbmbmb

what do you think about Salavi's "immediately do a target melee when damaged"?

with C3E's monsters mostly having 1-2hp, it seems a bit OP so I was having him do it after the monster ends its entire sequence (if they have a multi-hit sequence) instead of interrupting the monster's sequence with Salavi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben Dorpmans
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
CardBear wrote:

what do you think about Salavi's "immediately do a target melee when damaged"?

with C3E's monsters mostly having 1-2hp, it seems a bit OP so I was having him do it after the monster ends its entire sequence (if they have a multi-hit sequence) instead of interrupting the monster's sequence with Salavi

Yeah, he's on the edge of getting banned in my group (together with Larra and the Raven Empress, I only allow them vs Soloth and Ughurth). But I've found that if you ignore him he actually doesn't do that much, and you can also try and tempt him to come to your huge pool of monsters and do an insane amount of damage to him. Yes, he'll probably kill all your monsters then, but with his low health of 8, he won't last long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CardBoard Bear

California
msg tools
mbmbmb

I find Larra to be alright, she's strong but can't do more than 2 dmg/turn.

Salavi's total dmg/turn on the other hand can be a lot higher, and if they use him as a cheeky shield, it can be challenging to not hit him by accident or with templates (if you use Wyverns).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben Dorpmans
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
CardBear wrote:

Salavi's total dmg/turn on the other hand can be a lot higher, and if they use him as a cheeky shield, it can be challenging to not hit him by accident or with templates (if you use Wyverns).

The fact that Larra can do 2 damage every turn is very strong, especially since she can do that damage on the same target. Most characters can only do 2 damage once per room.

The fact she also has a shield and can outflank someone with a move prior to her attack made her just too strong for my group.

And yes, Salavi is very strong too, I just haven't decided yet if he really is worthwhile to restrict since I've only seen him in play once or twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron West
Canada
Greater Toronto Area
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nenananas wrote:
CardBear wrote:

The fact that Larra can do 2 damage every turn is very strong, especially since she can do that damage on the same target. Most characters can only do 2 damage once per room.

The fact she also has a shield and can outflank someone with a move prior to her attack made her just too strong for my group.

And yes, Salavi is very strong too, I just haven't decided yet if he really is worthwhile to restrict since I've only seen him in play once or twice.

Fun facts as you happened to be discussing these characters: Kwanchai based Larra on a photo of one of my closest friends, Laura (she is also the basis of the Vampire Queen Catacomb Lord from the Cavern expansion).

Salavi is based on a photo of Ryan Amos, another close friend and co-designer of Catacombs 1e/2e. He visited Iceland with his wife and they both dressed up as Viking warriors and their photos were taken as part of this tourist attraction. His wife's photo was used as the basis of Dark Oleira's portrait.

I will use your comments to refine the Integration Guide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron West
Canada
Greater Toronto Area
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My comments in italics.

CardBear wrote:
I know the overseer can make his own rulings but I was wondering the original intention. all my questions refer to playing C3E, not Castles.

He doesn't have to change forms.

Just substitute another spell.

It's not a mistake! If you feel Beeble with the Rune Axe is too powerful for your group, don't have him start the game with it.

Right, they have ordered sequences. If they can take an action, they must use the next sequence.

That is the intention, but that clarifying question apparently got omitted from the rules. I will add it to the Integration Guide and FAQ.

All currently released obstacles have flat surfaces...

Corrected already as noted by Ruben.

EDIT: I wrote fireball but of course I meant giant fireball
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CardBoard Bear

California
msg tools
mbmbmb

maybe Salavi could have his ability be something like 1 or 2 activation/per room, sort of an offensive version of the paladin who can block 2 hits per room.

talking about names, I was guessing the hero Hyba might be from Elzra manager Hiba?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron West
Canada
Greater Toronto Area
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
CardBear wrote:

maybe Salavi could have his ability be something like 1 or 2 activation/per room, sort of an offensive version of the paladin who can block 2 hits per room.

talking about names, I was guessing the hero Hyba might be from Elzra manager Hiba?

Yes, that's correct Hyba is the Warrior Maiden in Wyverns and as her story develops in the game world she becomes a Wyvern Ryder in Catacombs Conquest . And btw, Salavi has the retaliation ability, because Ryan was responsible for those rules which were used for the original Minotaur monster in 1e/2e. There are a lot of insider references in all the games...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.