Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To clear that junk out of the hot deals forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bobnabob wrote:
To clear that junk out of the hot deals forum.

Or the pinned post could include something like

"Also considered hot deals are instances where a high-demand game that has been out of stock has been restocked. This is true even in the case where the price is in line with usual discounts from OLGSs. Often, such games have gone out of stock quickly in those cases so the deal is truly hot.

"These posts, like others in the forum, should include the name of the game, location of retailer, and price in the subject line. It should also have '[Back in stock]' in the subject line."

That would take the issue out of the bounds of the discussions on the forum once and for all.

It has been something that many have shown appreciation for. People who have no interest in such games can just mark the threads as read. This should help kill the complaints about them not being hot deals and the complaints about the complaints also going away.

Also a couple of things could be added to the pinned post to help cut down on the format arguing, if they are indeed official suggestions.

Those would be

"The body of the post should include the following as practical (recognizing that posting from phones can be problematic)

"a) a link to the deal
"b) a link to the BGG entry for the game(s)"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
There needs to be a separate forum.

Because there is nothing "deal" about a game just being back. It's just fueling hype for stuff that doesn't need it 99.9 percent of the time. And it's saving no one a single dollar, and in the case of preorders where you need to pay shipping actually jacking the price up for many.

Make a new forum for that.

Then people who actually want great discounts can subscribe to the forum as it's intended to be without their feed being filled up with shit. People who want both can have both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
There needs to be a separate forum.

Because there is nothing "deal" about a game just being back. It's just fueling hype for stuff that doesn't need it 99.9 percent of the time. And it's saving no one a single dollar, and in the case of preorders where you need to pay shipping actually jacking the price up for many.

Make a new forum for that.

Then people who actually want great discounts can subscribe to the forum as it's intended to be without their feed being filled up with shit. People who want both can have both.

That is your personal opinion.

If a highly sought after game that has been selling for far above MSRP on the secondary market comes in stock and is sold at or below MSRP it is, in fact, saving no one a single dollar. It is saving people who want the game many dollars. Given how quickly many of the restocks once again go out of stock, such items are, by definition, "hot."

Many people express gratitude for being informed of such restock, as they are able to get hot games for a price lower than what they otherwise would.

If you don't like it, there is always the option of taking a fraction of a second and clicking the "mark read" button in your subscription pane. That isn't too big a sacrifice to make in order to have other subscribers informed of deals that save them a good amount of money on games they want.

Plus, if there was a separate group, people would still post to Hot Deals. Then we'd just have more instances of the "That doesn't belong in this forum" post and the opposing viewpoints getting aired.

There has already been a ruling that restocks belong in Hot Deals (https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/25034063#25034063.) If some people would accept that and move on, that would lessen the noise in the forum. Making some of the conventions more explicit in the pinned post would also help, I believe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may find value in it but others do not. If there was a separate forum, you could subscribe to both and get all the notifications you want. Many find it quite annoying to constantly receive notifications that have nothing to do with the forum they subscribed to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bobnabob wrote:
You may find value in it but others do not. If there was a separate forum, you could subscribe to both and get all the notifications you want. Many find it quite annoying to constantly receive notifications that have nothing to do with the forum they subscribed to.

By definition, it has everything to do with the forum because such posts have been declared to be hot deals. Just because some folks don't like it doesn't change it.

The vast majority of the posts in the forum are likely things you aren't interested in. Adding a relatively small number of restock posts to that total doesn't change that balance. A new forum won't eliminate the restock posts either because so many people view them as hot deals. All a new forum will do is open more battlegrounds in the Hot Deals forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You claiming that the definition of a hot deal is an item selling for its normal price is a hot deal does not make it so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bobnabob wrote:
You claiming that the definition of a hot deal is an item selling for its normal price is a hot deal does not make it so.

The hotness of any particular deal is by nature subjective. Therefore in principal I see no problem with restocks of in-demand titles in the Hot Deals forum.

Personally I would prefer to see a lot fewer of them and consolidated threads would be fantastic (and locking of reposts), but I know that's a lot of work for mods and I wouldn't wish that work on anybody. Except for maybe myself--I would wield the mod hammer with utmost responsibility and consistency if given the chance and a set of rules that I could get on board with

What I would like to see instead is less thin-skinned responses when some BGG-ers point out that a game is available for lower elsewhere. It's as if you killed their firstborn. The more information the better, I say. If that includes restocks then it definitely also includes where to get the game for cheaper.

To that point, it would be great to foster a general understanding that someone posting "not a hot deal" doesn't necessarily mean "doesn't belong in the Hot Deals forum". Those are two very different statements. I can say a deal isn't hot (with the understanding that that's always subjective) while acknowledging that it's not infringing any rules by being in the Hot Deals forum.

Oh, and fewer Amazon-$1-less-than-OLGS-prices posts. I'm looking at you, mcmanzi-bot. angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean F
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
HODL
mbmbmbmbmb
bobnabob wrote:

I did a poll back in October when this discussion erupted over Fury of Dracula. The poll received 106 votes of which 91.5% respondents agreed that "Yes, a game sold at or above MSRP qualifies as a Hot Deal if it is in limited supply, out of print, or will be discontinued in the foreseeable future". Octavian basically confirmed this elsewhere (can't find the link).

I agree that "back in stock" or "coming soon" is not the same as "limited supply, out of print, or will be discontinued in the foreseeable future" and personally, I'm rarely interested in these deals, being both patient and cheap.

scifiantihero wrote:
Because there is nothing "deal" about a game just being back. It's just fueling hype for stuff that doesn't need it 99.9 percent of the time. And it's saving no one a single dollar

There was a case recently however that saved me considerable coin, and reinforced my opinion that "back in stock" or "coming soon" deals belong in Hot Deals. I was resigned to purchasing Century: Golem Edition directly from Plan B games because it was only available from the publisher. The game was expensive and so was the shipping, but I really wanted the golem edition and I was worried that the game would be discontinued. I was about to pull the trigger when when I heard the news via Hot Deals that the Plan B was expanding distribution. The info probably saved me $30 on a $30 game.

I would support a guideline to include a [Back in Stock] or [Coming soon] prefix in the Hot Deal title, similar to the [Daily Deal] prefix used for daily deal posts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
cunning stunt wrote:

scifiantihero wrote:
Because there is nothing "deal" about a game just being back. It's just fueling hype for stuff that doesn't need it 99.9 percent of the time. And it's saving no one a single dollar

There was a case recently however that saved me considerable coin, and reinforced my opinion that "back in stock" or "coming soon" deals belong in Hot Deals. I was resigned to purchasing Century: Golem Edition directly from Plan B games because it was only available from the publisher. The game was expensive and so was the shipping, but I really wanted the golem edition and I was worried that the game would be discontinued. I was about to pull the trigger when when I heard the news via Hot Deals that the Plan B was expanding distribution. The info probably saved me $30 on a $30 game.

I would support a guideline to include a [Back in Stock] or [Coming soon] prefix in the Hot Deal title, similar to the [Daily Deal] prefix used for daily deal posts.

And I'm the one people crapped all over for pointing out what I had already known for weeks, at least: that the game had been slotted for regular distribution.

I am not even interested in the game, but knew that information. Surely, anyone interested in the game would have been able to find that info as well.

I'm glad it saved you money, but the information had already been posted multiple times in correct places.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean F
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
HODL
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
cunning stunt wrote:

scifiantihero wrote:

And I'm the one people crapped all over for pointing out what I had already known for weeks, at least: that the game had been slotted for regular distribution.

I am not even interested in the game, but knew that information. Surely, anyone interested in the game would have been able to find that info as well.

I'm glad it saved you money, but the information had already been posted multiple times in correct places.

You were crapped on because you were rude and accused the poster of spamming. At least, that's why I crapped on you.

I'm not sure what the correct place is for this information. I've been following the game pretty closely, going so far as to email the publisher about wider distribution. They didn't respond. The Hot Deals post confirmed what I had heard rumored, so it was valuable to me. Based on the thread response, I think it was valuable to others.
But ultimately it's about building consensus, not berating contributors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.