Louis D
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hi, so I'm a avid boardgamer that likes to play skirmish games from time to time. games i tried in that type

- battle lore 2.0
- warmachine (full fledge miniature game)
- arena of the planes walker
- summoner wars

And I’m wondering where this new kid sits compared to those and maybe other big hitters like (x-wing)

my quick opinions on :
Warmachine:
o
Spoiler (click to reveal)
They kinda lost me whit 3.0, the rules are SO dense, that playing it once a month, wasn’t enough for me to remember the rules, I loved the setting and love my army, but I can’t get myself to get it back to the table.
o What I loved: I loved the inspiring models, but there was too many, I loved the cards and all the ability of all my units, I just love that game, buts its to hard to get to play it

Summoner wars :
Spoiler (click to reveal)
o Loved the deckbuild, but I found the game play to be too swingny, the art was not the best, and no miniature ☹, but I loved the deckbuild portion and the manageable team portion of it
o What I hated was that you needed to attack your own guy in competive play

here is my main apprehension on shadespire
1- being so quick and, as few as 3 dudes, can't the game be really swingny whit dice combat, like loosing a guy in the first 6minutes, and being down to 2 guys... now playing a game, knowing there is a major chance you will lose, because the guys first few rolls where really lucky?

whit war machine, you mostly picked a faction, and just played that,
i love the idea of having more faction for a reduced price tag, but, whit them expanding the game ( in the form of new factions )
doesn't that favorite one of yours.. get really repetitive ? at this point ?

and lets say you bought all factions (because one faction got repetitive) and you had now 4+ the 2 one coming, and now they announce expansion pack for existing faction, now you kinda need all of the 6 expansion to have a equal(deckbuild flexibility) for all factions ...

reason i'm considering this game :
- looks like its objective base like battlelore 2.0, more supported, and whit models that gives me the itch to get painted again

- deck formation, bring me back to trying to toy whit the game outside the game ( magic the gathering did that )

- whit the cards available online it would be easy to try a new faction and proxy the models to try something before i buy it

are any of those true ( the reasons or the apprehension ? )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1- being so quick and, as few as 3 dudes, can't the game be really swingny whit dice combat, like loosing a guy in the first 6minutes, and being down to 2 guys... now playing a game, knowing there is a major chance you will lose, because the guys first few rolls where really lucky?

You get 4 activations per round no matter what. So unlike many games of that genre, losing a guy gives your opponent a point but does not reduce your future "resources" unduly. It will make it so you are less likely to get support, maybe not be able to hold on as many objectives, and it will reduce your options on where on the field you can affect with your activation. But it does not suddenly mean that your opponent has more actions over the course of the game than you do just because they had a lucky hit that took your guy out a bit ahead of expected schedule.

Also, if you're worried about RNG, the game being so short means that tournaments are mostly run best 2-of-3 so that can be mitigated greatly (and also that resolves the issue of what happens if you make a bad metagame call on game 1, like playing too defensively against an objective-grabbing build, you should know your opponent's build on game 2 and 3 to compensate).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hill
United Kingdom
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that most games you win or lose come down to one or two misplays, or misjudgements of your opponent. This allows me to learn from tactical mistakes. I'm still very much learning the ropes but I feel there's a lot of room for me to improve before even beginning to worry about the dice rolls. That does depend how you play a bit. The game isn't a case of two sides have a big fight and the last man standing wins. Usually one warband will be better at fighting, while the other is better at moving or scoring points on objectives (as a simplifed example). In fact you can still win with no fighters on the board...if you time it right.

In terms of lore, I love that the game is set tangentially from the rest of Age of Sigmar, these fighters are trapped in the city of shadespire and there's no worry about missing out on the larger canon; but it's there to explore if need be. Unlike a lot of gw boxed games I don't feel this game is a stepping stone. It stands up on its own, with unique mechanics. But does introduce warband stereotypes. I would say the lore is not fully fleshed out. There are 3 short stories and some fluff text in the rulebook and an AOS rule book, but I think this will expand given more time.

Hope that helps!

Edit: I just wanted to add that the release of the expansions (2 per quarter) seem to be a nice way to introduce fresh cards to update all warbands and then the added benefit of add new miniatures and warbands. I guess that sounds a bit like a subscription LCG but it's far less contrived at the non-competative level. The basegame is great value on its own and there's plenty to explore before adding new cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Bruno
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadespire is a poor man's BattleLore with less balance between factions and more reliance on deck building skills.
Crits are overpowered and can make any combat a matter of luck as opposed to the results of good tactical decisions.

BattleLore is still my go-to light skirmish game. Just wish it was still being supported by FFG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolvercote wrote:
Crits are overpowered and can make any combat a matter of luck as opposed to the results of good tactical decisions.

That's a nonsensical statement. Crits barely have any in-game effects, I think except for the one Reaver guy who gets a +1 damage on a 1 damage attack when he hits one. If anything, they *reduce* variance for attackers.

This is the odds table:
https://boardgamegeek.com/image/3828130/primalace?size=origi...

If you take something like 2 Hammers vs 1 Dodge, for instance, your odds in an hypothetical game where crits don't matter drop to 42%, as opposed to 59% with crits involved. Crits fundamentally favors attackers, because in this game you typically have more attack dice than defense.

Most people who complain about variance in this sort of game are annoyed by setting up an attack and having to rely on the dice to affect the game. It's a bias... nobody seems to care much about the fact that you could have been placing a character defensively and hoping they don't die, because that's passive, and people who complain about variance are usually peeved at variance when they are doing active stuff. They also remember the times when they got like 2 hits but the opponent got a crit, as though the fact they got 2 hits should have any significance whatsoever (the full roll is Attack vs Defense, you didn't "lose" anything because the opponent got a crit and you didn't anymore than if you had less hits than them, it's the same result).

There's literally no difference between throwing a bunch of Shadespire dice and having an app that takes "2 Hammers, 1 Dodge" and spouts out Hit 59% of the time. Crits are not "overpowered", because they don't really matter, only hitting vs missing matters, and you don't hit stronger with a crit than with more hits on your dice.

If you want to complain about variance that's possible (I think it shows a complete lack of understanding of how to play the game, but fine), but that's totally unrelated to crits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hubbard
United States
Mullica Hill
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm a big fan of Battlelore 2nd Edition and think this game scratches a similar itch. Notable differences are:

1. It's much faster setup and play time. I'm not saying that's better, it's just faster. You can play 3 Shadespire matches in the time it takes to setup, army build and play Battlelore.

2. In Battlelore terms, the scenario is formed by the secret objective decks each player brings with them. You may have combat focused objectives, he might focus on locations, or different combat objectives, etc.

3. In Battlelore, your strategy is limited by the command cards in your hand. You might want to push on the right flank but maybe all you have are center and left cards. In Shadespire, you're limited by activations. You only get 12 to carry out your goals.

4. Power cards play a greater role in Shadespire than Lore cards in Battlelore.

5. Instead of on the spot army building, you have a deeper deck construction aspect to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Bruno
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So having three successes wiped out by one crit roll seems tactically appealing to you I guess?

You are making some bold accusations as well about my understanding of the game too.

I wasn't complaining, I was offering my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Moutain
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO. It is best you find someone that has it and try a game for yourself. It will help you better decide if you want it or not.

Overall, I think it is a great game although my thoughts are biased as i do like skrimish games. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Caldinhas
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
There is a thing i have to say though, this
is a LCG deck builder at the end of the day, if you aren't willing to go all in the expansions and you don't have a community around you that is doing the same the game will get repetitive fast. There is a huge power difference between a well built deck from a larger pool and a starter deck.

Unlike summoner wars the pre built decks aren't that great and this is a hand that gets stale easily if you are playing with just one copy of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Neau
msg tools
mb
The main focus of this game isn't necessarily winning battles...it's attaining glory.

I just played a game where 4 of my 5 guys died and the other player lost 1 of 3. I won 6 glory to 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis D
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow thanks everyone for all your answer, on last thing if I wanted to split the cost of the game whit a friend, it is to my understanding that the only problem would be the neutral cards.

I heard there was a few duplicate in the core box, so that's easy to share, what is the ratio or neutral cards released,
It is to my understanding that the expansion contain about 30 neutral cards, are any of them double ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Anthony Robinson
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
LouisDavid wrote:
Wow thanks everyone for all your answer, on last thing if I wanted to split the cost of the game whit a friend, it is to my understanding that the only problem would be the neutral cards.

I heard there was a few duplicate in the core box, so that's easy to share, what is the ratio or neutral cards released,
It is to my understanding that the expansion contain about 30 neutral cards, are any of them double ?
The core box has duplicates of all neutral cards. The expansions have only 1 of each card, neutral or otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Caldinhas
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Valander wrote:
LouisDavid wrote:

The core box has duplicates of all neutral cards. The expansions have only 1 of each card, neutral or otherwise.

It is also important to point out that the some neutral cards in the expansions are very good right now and most decks have them, you might consider buying to of each or your decks will have a considerable power difference.

As I stated in my previous post this is pretty much a LCG so if you want to make eye most of it each player should have one of each card in order to make the games interesting.

That is why I also said you should first check if there is an active community in your area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.