Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

Advanced Squad Leader: Starter Kit #2» Forums » Rules

Subject: Another ? regarding LOS and Routing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
The Game that started it all
badge
I know. It's an Awesome Avatar.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In the picture below, can the GO German stack in AA7 see the Broken American squad in X5? If so, does that Broken American Squad then become DG'd again in the Rout Phase?



Not sure if it makes a difference, but that German stack in question fired into the building with the Americans located in DD7 in their Defensive Fire Phase.

Thanks for any help. Thought I had a handle on LOS, apparently notsoblue
1 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No, because as the rules state, the fire crosses another crest line. Essentially, you can only shoot from the edge of a hill in the Starter Kits. In your example, you'd be shooting across the hill and then down.

EDIT: Didn't notice the enemy unit was on Level one, so no problem (see below).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. van H.
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the broken unit becomes DM at the beginning of the RPh (for being in OG in the LOS (and normal range) of a GO enemy unit) and thus must rout away.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. van H.
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In reply to Malacandra: both units are on Level 1, so height difference is not in effect here. What you say, i.e. "you can only shoot from the edge of a hill" is true when you want to fire at a lower level. In this case, however, the fire is from Level 1 to Level 1. In ASL, hills are like pancakes, i.e. flat.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Houtje wrote:
In reply to Malacandra: both units are on Level 1, so height difference is not in effect here. What you say, i.e. "you can only shoot from the edge of a hill" is true when you want to fire at a lower level. In this case, however, the fire is from Level 1 to Level 1. In ASL, hills are like pancakes, i.e. flat.


Ack! Didn't see that as I glanced and fired off a reply.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
The Game that started it all
badge
I know. It's an Awesome Avatar.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Hopefully I'll remember this one for next time.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Germans in Z3 could perhaps squeeze an LOS to the brokies too.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fly by Night wrote:

Not sure if it makes a difference, but that German stack in question fired into the building with the Americans located in DD7 in their Defensive Fire Phase.
They have no LOS to DD7, because of the intervening BB6 hill hex, as the Americans are at a lower level.
If the CC6 Orchard is in season, it is a Level 1 obstacle which would block LOS too.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Robin wrote:
They have no LOS to DD7, because of the intervening BB6 hill hex, as the Americans are at a lower level.
If the CC6 Orchard is in season, it is a Level 1 obstacle which would block LOS too.

Am I confused? Neither BB6 nor CC6 seems to be intervening between the Germans in AA7 and the US in DD7.

(Hmm, are you perhaps talking about the Germans in AA5? OP mentioned Germans in AA7.)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eoin Corrigan
Ireland
Wexford
Wexford
flag msg tools
designer
ASL Fanatic
badge
Royal Dublin Fusiliers "Spectamur Agendo"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, DMed. I think U5 has to be the rout destination, interdiction along the way, from Z3 / AA7, unless a low crawl is opted for.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Eoin Corrigan wrote:
Yup, DMed. I think U5 has to be the rout destination, interdiction along the way, from Z3 / AA7, unless a low crawl is opted for.

Could U4 also be the rout destination? U5 and U4 are equally close to X5, right?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
The Game that started it all
badge
I know. It's an Awesome Avatar.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Robin wrote:
They have no LOS to DD7, because of the intervening BB6 hill hex, as the Americans are at a lower level.
If the CC6 Orchard is in season, it is a Level 1 obstacle which would block LOS too.

Am I confused? Neither BB6 nor CC6 seems to be intervening between the Germans in AA7 and the US in DD7.

(Hmm, are you perhaps talking about the Germans in AA5? OP mentioned Germans in AA7.)


I agree with you Russ. The Germans in AA7 have a clean shot to the Americans in DD7. My LOS thread crosses nothing that would Block or Hinder. Unless a Hill hex is considered to encompass the whole hex like Orchards do? If that's the case, rules reference please.

Eoin Corrigan wrote:
Yup, DMed. I think U5 has to be the rout destination, interdiction along the way, from Z3 / AA7, unless a low crawl is opted for.


Yup, DMed. I think U5 has to be the rout destination, interdiction along the way, from Z3 / AA7, unless a low crawl is opted for.

I had to use Low Crawl since U5 was such a long way away and being Interdicted every step of the way did not appeal to meangry Not that it matters much, pretty sure the Germans will have this one in the bag by the end of next turn (Turn 3).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
The Game that started it all
badge
I know. It's an Awesome Avatar.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Eoin Corrigan wrote:
Yup, DMed. I think U5 has to be the rout destination, interdiction along the way, from Z3 / AA7, unless a low crawl is opted for.

Could U4 also be the rout destination? U5 and U4 are equally close to X5, right?


Correct.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eoin Corrigan
Ireland
Wexford
Wexford
flag msg tools
designer
ASL Fanatic
badge
Royal Dublin Fusiliers "Spectamur Agendo"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Eoin Corrigan wrote:
Yup, DMed. I think U5 has to be the rout destination, interdiction along the way, from Z3 / AA7, unless a low crawl is opted for.

Could U4 also be the rout destination? U5 and U4 are equally close to X5, right?


Yup, well spotted, U4 also works.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Robin wrote:
Fly by Night wrote:

Not sure if it makes a difference, but that German stack in question fired into the building with the Americans located in DD7 in their Defensive Fire Phase.
They have no LOS to DD7, because of the intervening BB6 hill hex, as the Americans are at a lower level.
If the CC6 Orchard is in season, it is a Level 1 obstacle which would block LOS too.


I think you are checking AA7-EE5 instead of AA7-DD7.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
The Game that started it all
badge
I know. It's an Awesome Avatar.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
marticabre wrote:
Robin wrote:
Fly by Night wrote:

Not sure if it makes a difference, but that German stack in question fired into the building with the Americans located in DD7 in their Defensive Fire Phase.
They have no LOS to DD7, because of the intervening BB6 hill hex, as the Americans are at a lower level.
If the CC6 Orchard is in season, it is a Level 1 obstacle which would block LOS too.


I think you are checking AA7-EE5 instead of AA7-DD7.


I think your right, that would explain the Orchards in Season reference as well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Robin wrote:
They have no LOS to DD7, because of the intervening BB6 hill hex, as the Americans are at a lower level.
If the CC6 Orchard is in season, it is a Level 1 obstacle which would block LOS too.

Am I confused? Neither BB6 nor CC6 seems to be intervening between the Germans in AA7 and the US in DD7.

(Hmm, are you perhaps talking about the Germans in AA5? OP mentioned Germans in AA7.)

Oops.
I mixed up with the US in EE5.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
The Game that started it all
badge
I know. It's an Awesome Avatar.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Robin wrote:
russ wrote:
Robin wrote:
They have no LOS to DD7, because of the intervening BB6 hill hex, as the Americans are at a lower level.
If the CC6 Orchard is in season, it is a Level 1 obstacle which would block LOS too.

Am I confused? Neither BB6 nor CC6 seems to be intervening between the Germans in AA7 and the US in DD7.

(Hmm, are you perhaps talking about the Germans in AA5? OP mentioned Germans in AA7.)

Oops.
I mixed up with the US in EE5.


Still a very important rules reminder. I did forget that in season Orchards block LOS from heightsblush
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Campagna
United States
Worcester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fly by Night wrote:
Robin wrote:
russ wrote:
Robin wrote:
They have no LOS to DD7, because of the intervening BB6 hill hex, as the Americans are at a lower level.
If the CC6 Orchard is in season, it is a Level 1 obstacle which would block LOS too.

Am I confused? Neither BB6 nor CC6 seems to be intervening between the Germans in AA7 and the US in DD7.

(Hmm, are you perhaps talking about the Germans in AA5? OP mentioned Germans in AA7.)

Oops.
I mixed up with the US in EE5.


Still a very important rules reminder. I did forget that in season Orchards block LOS from heightsblush


It's great that you post these rules situations as they come up in your games, and they lead to such discussion -- thumbs up, sir!

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
The Game that started it all
badge
I know. It's an Awesome Avatar.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jackanapes70 wrote:
Fly by Night wrote:
Robin wrote:
russ wrote:
Robin wrote:
They have no LOS to DD7, because of the intervening BB6 hill hex, as the Americans are at a lower level.
If the CC6 Orchard is in season, it is a Level 1 obstacle which would block LOS too.

Am I confused? Neither BB6 nor CC6 seems to be intervening between the Germans in AA7 and the US in DD7.

(Hmm, are you perhaps talking about the Germans in AA5? OP mentioned Germans in AA7.)

Oops.
I mixed up with the US in EE5.


Still a very important rules reminder. I did forget that in season Orchards block LOS from heightsblush


It's great that you post these rules situations as they come up in your games, and they lead to such discussion -- thumbs up, sir!



Oh, stick around, I'm sure to have lots morewhistle I have realized that the LOS and Routing rules seem to be the major stumbling blocks to all us newbs. Just need to keep on with it and hope it will all become clear.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.