BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: A milestone for me -- I own games I haven't yet played rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carla
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks, I'm a relative newcomer to the hobby, having started about 18 months ago with Pandemic as our first 'real' board game. I've amassed over 50 games, and just ordered Santorini. But...now I've actually got a few games I haven't even played yet. Tiny Epic Kingdoms, The Cousin's War, and now it will be Santorini. Is this normal? I don't want to let the collection become more important than playing games, but with full time jobs we don't feel like playing after work most evenings and not every weekend is free. I don't want to miss out on owning highly regarded games just because I don't have time to play them, but on the other hand, I don't want my collection to start outstripping me entirely. I already have a resolution for 2018 to buy no more than one game per month. That should help! And when we first started, we were at the table every night. I think part of the reluctance is having too many games to choose from, now that I think about it.

What's it like for you? Do you have games you haven't played yet? Or do you make sure you play everything before you buy something new?

Do you have some sort of rotation to help you cycle through your games over the course of a year? I'm thinking choosing at random or standing and deliberating is causing us to skip it. I wonder if I selected, say, 5 for each month, and we just choose from that small group for that time period, if that would help overcome the barrier to playing.

I tend to over think and over plan things, you may notice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's perfectly normal. I suppose. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rees
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did some calculations just the other day and found that I've played 55% of may games, which is far better than I expected. I've been trying to get at least one play of at least one new game each week for the past month or so to try an combat the issue of having unplayed games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out
2018 Challenge: Get Your Magic Number to Zero!!!

This is a challenge for people with unplayed games in their collection to play them all -- the "Magic Number" in the title is the number of unplayed games.

This year is the first year I can participate -- previously I never had unplayed games for more than 3 weeks or so after purchase, but now I actually have a backlog.
This comes from moving a lot in the past year (next week is my 4th move in the past 12 months, 5th move in 15 months), so I often get games delivered to my partner's place which I then can't play until I visit. And when I visit we have so many games we want to play (old favourites and new) that the backlog doesn't go away!
Anyway, I'm currently on 6 unplayed games, and I joined the challenge above to get it down to zero some time this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
Canada
flag msg tools
Hahaha, you're asking a dangerous group for this question my friend! I can't really speak for the community, but I would guess that the majority of us have unplayed games. For some people, a lot of unplayed games.

Right now my number is sitting at 3-- worst it's gotten to is 6. I try to remind myself before making purchases that I'll never play every game, nor will I ever play every good game, nor will I ever play every game I would love. It's a delicate balance trying to keep a good collection without burying yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica Eccles
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't currently have any unplayed games in my collection, but I have in the past and I think it's fairly normal on BGG to have unplayed games.

I like your idea of choosing five games a month to concentrate on. I was thinking of doing something similar as I like improving strategies over repeat plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Kempf
United States
Jefferson City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We also have a "Challenge" for this as well, although we are trying to be more group oriented and help each other out as best we can by offering advice and any rules help we can.

January Off The Shelf

Gswp wrote:
Check out
2018 Challenge: Get Your Magic Number to Zero!!!

This is a challenge for people with unplayed games in their collection to play them all -- the "Magic Number" in the title is the number of unplayed games.

This year is the first year I can participate -- previously I never had unplayed games for more than 3 weeks or so after purchase, but now I actually have a backlog.
This comes from moving a lot in the past year (next week is my 4th move in the past 12 months, 5th move in 15 months), so I often get games delivered to my partner's place which I then can't play until I visit. And when I visit we have so many games we want to play (old favourites and new) that the backlog doesn't go away!
Anyway, I'm currently on 6 unplayed games, and I joined the challenge above to get it down to zero some time this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of people here have unplayed games. Personally I tend to get my games played very quickly. Of my apparently exactly 100 board games (no expansions included in that) I have 3 unplayed ones. And all of my unplayed games were obtained in the last month. Cuba in a trade last week or so, Matryoshka from a New Years raffle, and Small World for Christmas.

My longest unplayed game was SOL, which sat unplayed for 18 months because it arrived in the wrong language, one I haven't spoken in like nine years. BUT! We actually played it last weekend.

My point I guess - it's fairly normal here, I do try to play my games right away though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eventually, I reached something like the opposite: I'm not buying any games that I haven't played somewhere else before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
I too have games that I have not played yet but I plan on doing so in the near future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
People who have no unplayed games lack potential.

Pete (is loaded with it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Having a few games you haven't played yet is normal, but I'd try to conquer that 'fear of missing out' thing pretty quick. Reprints happen. Improved versions come along. There's always another game. I'm two years into this and I still want to buy a game every few days, despite my girlfriend's appetite for board games waning. I'm limiting myself to 2 a month, including kickstarter arrivals.

So long as you're buying games that you do genuinely want to play, and not just buying them because 'what if I one day start liking negotiation games?' or 'what if I find a playgroup and need 3+ player games?' you're golden.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvio Z
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mondkalb123 wrote:
That's perfectly normal. I suppose. devil

I think it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy M
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
celdom wrote:
Having a few games you haven't played yet is normal, but I'd try to conquer that 'fear of missing out' thing pretty quick. Reprints happen. Improved versions come along. There's always another game. I'm two years into this and I still want to buy a game every few days, despite my girlfriend's appetite for board games waning. I'm limiting myself to 2 a month, including kickstarter arrivals.

So long as you're buying games that you do genuinely want to play, and not just buying them because 'what if I one day start liking negotiation games?' or 'what if I find a playgroup and need 3+ player games?' you're golden.

This is really great advice IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Shaw
United Kingdom
Fleet
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Too many games, too little time
mbmbmbmbmb
Gswp wrote:

Also, a little less hardcore, 18 Unplayed in 2018.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I probably have over 100 unplayed games. It raced away a bit last year as I got into wargames and quickly built up the bulk of my dream wargame collection, which was (I hope!) very well planned, unlike my Euros. It was a ton of research and I am enjoying easing back on that.

I am trying to play one new game per week.

This week I re-scored my games and ranked them and I realised some of very favourite games have not been played for a while.

I am thinking of setting myself a challenge this year to play all games I rate 8.0 or higher at least three times each. That's 31 games. If I get close to that, that would be cool.

My wargames is no great rush to get them played, these can go out of print for several years so I would rather get what I want when I can, especially since the theme plays a big part. e.g. If I want a game on the Franco-Prussian war, that is okay for solo, that is not too long or complex, I have limited choice. With Euros the theme matters less. There is currently no tactical Crusades game that quite matches what I am looking for. Infidel does, but it's out of print...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor McAusland
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
With the exception of backing a prominent Kickstarter next month, I've resolved to avoid buying any games released in 2018 this year. I own 8 games that I've yet to play, so my focus is shifting to getting those played, hunting down expansions and blinging out games I already own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Royal
msg tools
mbmbmb
We rotate the people who choose games, but not the games themselves. Once a month we play a campaign style game. We own campaign games that have not been played, but that isn't a concern as we enjoy these games one at a time over several months.

Focusing on five games a month until you know them well is a good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
I call my unplayed games my "Shelf of Opportunity." I am endeavoring to cut it down significantly this year.

Shelf of Opportunity
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Witgeers
Belgium
West Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think most of the people on BGG have a few games in their collection they haven't played yet. As long as that number is a single digit, I think it's all under control. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan O'Toole
United States
Boise
ID
flag msg tools
All I need is 1 more boardgame...always.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have many games I haven't played. I'm not bothered by it though. I enjoy collections in general, and board games lately have become my go to collection of choice. The majority of the titles I've purchased I've watched at least a play-through of if available or read multiple reviews if not. (I'm a veteran with too much free time as is.) The ones that don't fit in that majority are brand new titles with themes or novel mechanics that I 'MUST HAVE NOAW.'

I only purchase titles that will be played within two weeks of arrival OR games I would happy to play if a random friend selected it as something they would like to play when they are at my home AND are discounted beyond normally available prices.

On top of being a usable collection, I also consider my board games to be miniature pieces of art due to the many beautiful covers and I display them as such. I have a large game room, and I don't plan on limiting my purchases of board games in anyway until all the walls of that game room are covered in these 'art' pieces.

Lastly, I limit my purchases to a level that would not cause me to feel negatively about the amount of money spent on those purchases.

I don't think it's any different from buying blu-ray copies of movies you'd like to see because they are on sale, even if they sit on your shelf for a bit while other things are being watched that you know you want to see now.

If you feel consternation regarding the number of un-played titles that you have though, perhaps it's time to review your purchasing habits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm down to 26% unplayed, according to http://boardgamewallofshame.com/shame

62 out of 242 unplayed - a lot of smaller games there (little card games and the like)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl
Canada
Port Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think in general with any hobby like this you go a bit nuts at first. I know I did. I went “wide” and bought a bunch of games with different player counts, genres, and mechanisms just to see what I like.

At this point though I want to get deeper so I’m focusing mostly on playing what I have and perhaps getting expansions or bling for the games I really like. I had played 70% of my games When I hit that point. Now I’m down to maybe 5% not played.

You might go through that too or you might be like others who love the collecting and have massive collections mostly unplayed. Either one is perfectly fine assuming yor are taking care of the other responsibilities in your life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Royal
msg tools
mbmbmb
OP do watch the expansion thing. It often seems to be phase 2 in overbuying. Just like too many games can bloat your shelves, too many expansions can bloat your game.

You have seen the light. Follow it my child.zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Posthumous Jones
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It’s totally normal. Due to a variety of circumstances getting some games to table is easier than others. My group likes to get to know a game well before moving on, and we only meet once a month. Any time you see ‘ Shelf of Shame’ posts, that’s what they’re talking about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.