4 Posts

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Keyword Idea: React rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Garrett S
Canada
flag msg tools
I've been hammering out some ideas for an Alpha Flight card set (I know, it's been done--I think I can do something original with it), and I've come up with a need for a new card mechanic. It's pretty broad and potentially game-changing, so I thought I'd run the mechanic idea by you folks before I invest a lot of time making cards around it.

I suspect this is going to seem kind of complicated, but as with many card rules I hope that it's actually fairly simple to understand, it just takes a bit of writing to fully explain.

React is a Hero card ability that allows you to respond to events as they happen, even when it isn’t your turn. Each card with a React ability specifies the circumstance that allows you to play it. Using a card’s React ability is always optional: You can play a card with React from your hand on your turn like any other card; however, each card offers a bonus if you played it in response to its React condition.

Unless otherwise specified, you gain no benefit from a React card immediately when you play it on another player’s turn. After being played, they remain in play in front of you until your turn. At the start of your turn, after playing a card from the Villain Deck, you gain the benefit of your React cards in play (including their React bonus) as if you had just played them from your hand. React cards in play or in your hand are discarded like any other card at the end of your turn.

You can also gain a card's React bonus on your turn if you play it from your hand when its React condition occurs.

React cards in play are no longer in your hand, and cannot be discarded in response to card effects. However, some card effects may affect React cards in play.

I've mocked up a few draft cards to give an idea what I'm talking about. Please note that these are not fully considered or balanced, just some examples of how the mechanic could be used.

What I'm hoping for in terms of feedback is whether you think it can work, and whether it adds something to the game. As well, I'd like to know what still needs to be be modified or clarified about how the mechanic works. Thanks for your attention and your response!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It could work. Good concept.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the Puck example confuses the timing as it suggests an immediate effect but you stated they don’t offer any immediate benefit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett S
Canada
flag msg tools
dontfeedthegreen wrote:
I think the Puck example confuses the timing as it suggests an immediate effect but you stated they don’t offer any immediate benefit.

Right, thanks for bringing that up! In the italicized rules text, I said they don't offer an immediate benefit unless otherwise specified. And I included that sample Puck card partly as an example of "otherwise specified."

I think you're right that this does make it slightly more confusing. Is it too hard to keep the immediate and eventual benefits clear and separate? If so, that would definitely suggest I need to rethink the mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.