20 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: New 3-6/4-6 player board game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martijn Robben
msg tools
Hi everyone,

I'm currently playing a lot of board games with 2 players (Zombies!!!, 7 Wonders Duel and probably Mr. Jack in the future).

One week ago we were playing Catan with the family. Everybody including me loves it, but I do not own the 5-6 player expansion sets and probably not going to. We really love it, but I guess I just go for an other type of game, just to let them see what's available these days. I'm also playing more heavy games like Zombicide/Arcadia Quest with my friends, but games like that won't get on the table at home.

Could you help me with the following requirements (guess the group is going to like these best):

-Highly thematic;
-Medium or medium light difficulty;
-Do like fun themes (like Unfair), fantasy, negotiation, Mystery, Sherlock (Maybe combined with a fantasy theme, does this exsist?)
-Co-op is okay, but would be a very big plus if the co-op is in teams;
-You can come up with a game within a theme I did not mention. Guess I'm forgetting a lot of themes/games.
-No dungeon crawler/euro/aliens

I know, a lot of requirements, but it has to be enjoyable for everyone.

Big thanks,

Martijn from The Netherlands

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Allaway
msg tools
Shame you said 'no aliens' because Cosmic Encounter covers everything else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn Robben
msg tools
Yeah would love that theme myself, but the group wouldn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn Robben
msg tools
Maybe Mysterium? Looks great, but fully co-operative? Wouldn't be a very big problem, but got to see how the game works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Sequence may fit your parameters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Allaway
msg tools
When I've played Cosmic... with my friends, several of them have rolled their eyes at the "geeky" theme, but ended up loving the game for the reasons you've listed. I'd say it's worth a go. Worth the hype Shut Up & Sit Down and Tom Vassell give it for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Allaway
msg tools
Otherwise Survive: Escape from Atlantis and King Of Tokyo have gone down well with my friends and family for similar reasons. Both games support 6 with expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dutch

Indiana
msg tools
mb
Jamaica
Kingdomino + Queendomino
7 Wonders

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Terpstra
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Have you seen Ignite?

It plays up to 8 players. It's a fantasy themed deckbuilder with miniatures fighting across a variably built map. It's strategic but very easy to play.
Think Dominion meets Heroscape.

If your family like Lord of the Rings at all, they'd probably eat this one up.

The BGG page isn't up yet, but you can see art etc at gingersnapgaming.com

Should be out late 2018

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadels

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Under the paving stones, the beach
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery. (You'll need the expansions to play six).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A M
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Highly recommend Elder Sign (the Gates of Arkham expansion makes it harder and better, but is not necessary).

It meets all of your requirements, if you're open to a Lovecraftian horror theme, except that it's full co-op with no teams. I've played solo and with groups from 2-6, and it works great at any player count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphaël Tremblay Lessard
Canada
Chicoutimi
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think Rum and Bones could fit the bill. I played it with my group of six a few weeks ago and even though in reality you're playing 1v1 (splitting your 6 characters amongst 3 players for each team) the complexity of figuring out how to optimally sequence and play the turn of each member of the team was enough to entertain everyone.

Theme is fantasy pirates (think Davy Jones from prates of the Caribbean). Mechanics is light miniatures combat with a hand of special cards you can play along the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Abiezer Coppe wrote:
Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery. (You'll need the expansions to play six).

That was my first thought, but it will depend on the ages of the family members being played with. The game is rated 17+.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zombie homer
msg tools
designer
Cutthroat Caverns - fantasy with a lot of 'take that' if you're ok with it. Best at higher player count.

Lords of Vegas with Lords of Vegas: UP! expansion. Also has direct player interaction with element of luck, and negotiation.

Ticket to Ride with Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 1 – Team Asia & Legendary Asia that allows you to play in teams.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Under the paving stones, the beach
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adria wrote:

That was my first thought, but it will depend on the ages of the family members being played with. The game is rated 17+.

Good point, that hadn't occured to me. If Spartacus is too adult then something like Illuminati: Deluxe Edition may be a better fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn Robben
msg tools
Hi all,

Thanks for the great tips. I overthought a little bit and I Guess Mysterium would be a great choice for the interaction part. Because they like Catan, Lords of Waterdeep/Jamaica will also work great. Maybe even Clans of Caledonia to spice things up. They also will like the Century Golem edition, which will be a available in NL soon.

They love Smash Up, so Hero Realms is great too.

Guess I made myself a great list!

Thanks all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saboteur sounds like a good fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lopresti
msg tools
mbmbmb
A Game of Thrones: The Board Game
Mystery of the Abbey
Mystery Express
27th Passenger: A Hunt on Rails
Space Cadets
Space Cadets: Dice Duel
+ 1 Saboteur

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
King of Tokyo with King of Tokyo: Power Up!
Sheriff of Nottingham with Sheriff of Nottingham: Merry Men

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.