5 Posts

Dragonfire» Forums » Rules

Subject: How Does Eldritch Invocations work rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Youck
Canada
flag msg tools
Sorry if this was posted somewhere else, but i did quick look through and didn't see a thread on it.

The feature Eldritch Invocations has a Continuous feature of "Two invocations do not require Feature slots".

I understand that when something doesnt require a Feature Slot you can put it anywhere on the character card, but what I am confused about is how to you get more than one Invocation?

These appear to be set up the same way as Fighting Styles for the Fighter/Ranger. In the rules it states that you cannot have more than feature of the same Primary Name unless another feature states otherwise. Here it uses Fighting Style as an example.

Does Eldritch Invocations work both ways, as in allowing you not to require a Feature Slot and allow you to have more than one? Or is there something I am missing that will allow you to take more than one?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Principia

Reston
Virginia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The example in the rules regarding Fighting Styles is a poor one, based on how they have since added other Features like the Warlock's, because it seems they failed to take into account/forgot that they were adding at least one later series of Features that had the same "Primary Name" but were specifically intended to be treated as distinct individual Features.

For each of the Eldritch Invocations Features, the text is as follows:

Eldritch Invocations (whatever the Roman numeral version)

Continuous: # of Invocations do not require Feature slots.

So for the Warlock Features "group" called Invocation, each Invocation must be considered to have a non-identical name.

Why?

Because if each Invocation wasn't considered to have a distinct individual name, letting you take multiple Invocations, then there would be no need for additional Features granting you the ability to reduce the number of Feature Slots occupied by the multiple Invocations you have already taken.

Tangentially, the "accessory" series of Features called Eldritch Invocations (Eldritch Invocations, Eldritch Invocations II, and Eldritch Invocations III) are differentiated only by a Roman numeral, which means they are considered to have the same name for the purposes of not duplicating Features. So, provided you have sufficient XP, you may take Eldritch Invocations, or Eldritch Invocations II, or Eldritch Invocations III. Those don't stack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Youck
Canada
flag msg tools
Ok thanks. I agree with your logic and was very confused when I couldn't find anything that would allow you take multiple Invocations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hofland
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
Principia wrote:
So, provided you have sufficient XP, you may take Eldritch Invocations, or Eldritch Invocations II, or Eldritch Invocations III. Those don't stack.

I was wondering on this as well but ended up buying the first feature and when time comes place the II and III stickers over the previous ones so you still have only 1 EI feature on a warlock character.

Thinking about it this is probably how it would work for other II and III features as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Principia

Reston
Virginia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jotun wrote:
Principia wrote:
So, provided you have sufficient XP, you may take Eldritch Invocations, or Eldritch Invocations II, or Eldritch Invocations III. Those don't stack.

I was wondering on this as well but ended up buying the first feature and when time comes place the II and III stickers over the previous ones so you still have only 1 EI feature on a warlock character.

Thinking about it this is probably how it would work for other II and III features as well.

Not a probably, a definite, as specified in the rules on page 24:

"Roman numerals do not count as different names."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.