Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Hardback» Forums » Rules

Subject: Romance Genre rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
For the Romance cards, is the Trash ability (Basic and Genre) optional to use? Or is this Mandatory?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Grubert
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Optional.

Quote:
Some Adventure cards allow you to trash the card in order to gain a Coin or Prestige bonus.

Trash Another Card: Trash another card to gain 1 Coin. You can trash unused cards from your hand or previously used cards from your discard pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil K
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
We were struggling over this same question. It doesn't say "may," so we thought we may as well be flexible and let ourselves choose when to trigger trash effects. But we've found that this makes Adventure cards perhaps a bit too powerful. I think the reason some of them self-trash is to prevent your deck from having too many of them and getting too many points. So we're gonna try playing the trashing (and all abilities) as mandatory.

I guess Romance cards would work the same way, then. So you have to decide whether or not you want to play them in the current turn, knowing they will trash from your discard pile.

Anyhow, we are loving this game! I'm glad I held out on Paperback in order to wait for this one. It's likely my favorite word game, really tight gameplay with tons of interesting choices!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath K
United States
Sabina
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you look on page 10 of the Rulebook under "Adventure:" and then under "Trash this card:", the last sentence states "If you choose to trash the card..."

Sounds to me like the ability to trash is optional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil K
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah, we think so, but the prior sentence says "you must use the card face-up in your word before trashing," so we wondered if they meant the choice has to do with whether to play the card in order to trigger the trashing.

This is the only instance we see in the rulebook of "allow" and "choose." For example, the rules for Romance's trash ability (the original topic of this thread) and Mystery's jail ability don't say "you may," and sometimes we'd prefer not to trigger those abilities. So are those abilities optional?

If you look at p. 5-6 regarding card benefits, it seems that benefits are always triggered if you play it. "You gain all the Basic Benefits of a card each time you use the card face-up to spell a word." So if you don't want to trigger the benefit, then don't play the card?

We've tried it both ways, and we may end up just house ruling it regardless of an official clarification Still having a blast, especially with all the cool variants!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Bandage
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't get too hung up on the difference between 'can' and 'may'. Flushing the offer row, using ink to draw cards, and ghost writing all use the word 'can' in their explanation and it's fairly obvious those are meant to be optional. I'd argue the same applies to jailing and trashing.

You could push this even further and say all benefits are optional. There's just no reason not to take most of them, such as Prestige, Coins, Ink/Remover, Doubling, Uncovering Wilds, etc. Only Trashing, Jailing, and some of the more rare powers like discarding opponent's ink are things you'd want to consider not taking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl G
United States
Glendale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just love that Romance is trashy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.