Subject: Looking for Card and Civ Scans rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
C W
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I was thinking of trying to PnP this game, but a lot of scans are missing on the images. Is there another location (other than google) I might look?
I know it is a lot to ask, but if someone would be willing to take some high quality pictures of the above I'm sure I am not the only one who would be very grateful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crazydragonking99 wrote:
I was thinking of trying to PnP this game

You mean pirate it - when it's just reverted to the designer a couple of weeks ago, and several publishers are queued up wanting to print a new edition?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ziga
Slovenia
flag msg tools
Kelanen wrote:
Crazydragonking99 wrote:

You mean pirate it - when it's just reverted to the designer a couple of weeks ago, and several publishers are queued up wanting to print a new edition?

Are they really? Can you link me where you got this info?

It's not going to be the same graphics design if true, though. Which means it will cost about the same as buying the expansion from ebay right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NubiS wrote:
Kelanen wrote:
Crazydragonking99 wrote:

Are they really? Can you link me where you got this info?

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1919152/no-reprints-com...

The rights just reverted, and several publishers have expressed an interest in printing it. Given the reversion of rights was only public this month, don't expect anything to have happened yet.

NubiS wrote:

It's not going to be the same graphics design if true, though. Which means it will cost about the same as buying the expansion from ebay right now.

Yes, as per reasons given in that thread, it will have to use new artwork (respecting copyright!) hence probably a new edition.

How much it costs you is absolutely irrelevant. It's illegal, and blatant piracy. I'm appalled any BGG user would attempt to assist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ziga
Slovenia
flag msg tools
What bothers me is people reselling games at stupid prices. Who knows how long it will take for 2ed to come out. When it does, I'll buy it. Until then I'll proxy it. I gladly pay the designer/publisher for a revised edition, but to pay a reseller tripple the price... Nope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NubiS wrote:
What bothers me is people reselling games at stupid prices. Who knows how long it will take for 2ed to come out. When it does, I'll buy it. Until then I'll proxy it. I gladly pay the designer/publisher for a revised edition, but to pay a reseller tripple the price... Nope.

That's capitalism - people can sell for anything they want, and people choose to buy it or not.

Snowdash wrote:

BGG has high resolution counter scans, card scans, medium resolution map scans and rules uploads all over their site for currently in print games and you complain about me sharing some scans that I have.

Usually with publishers permission. BGG has an aggressive take down policy where not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ziga
Slovenia
flag msg tools
Kelanen wrote:
That's capitalism - people can sell for anything they want, and people choose to buy it or not.

And I choose not to.
Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NubiS wrote:
Kelanen wrote:

And I choose not to.

That's entirely reasonable. Pirating it as an alternative is not however - that's just illegal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
NubiS wrote:
Kelanen wrote:

And I choose not to.

That's entirely reasonable. Pirating it as an alternative is not however - that's just illegal.
If you sell it, but not if you don't.(UK law)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Kindree
Canada
Waterdown
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having a personal copy you create is legal, however, making it available for reproduction without authorization to do so is not.

A shared copy/PnP is legal if the owners of the property (publisher in this case) authorize the use of their resources (scans, icons, art, etc...).

Morally, it's wrong. Scalpers selling legal copies at a ridiculously high premium is wrong too, but not as. Making your own PnP, your own art / assets, using content you create (even if you do the scans yourself), that's perfectly ok, even encouraged! But sharing that final product isn't.

It's not even a grey area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
misteralan wrote:

Wrong - you don't need to sell, only distribute. And sharing scans is distributing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
misteralan wrote:
Kelanen wrote:

Wrong - you don't need to sell, only distribute. And sharing scans is distributing.
Well that's basically selling at a loss. If you manipulated your scans so you couldn't be accused of 'passing off' you would have a reasonable defence, or most of the art establishment would be out of business. it is highly unlikely anyone will bother you if you make a 'copy' for personal use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Cobb
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Kelanen wrote:
NubiS wrote:
Kelanen wrote:

And I choose not to.

Actually it's not. There is no law against making your own version of ANYTHING for personal use so long as you are the one producing it and you aren't selling it.

I can film a shot for shot remake of star wars and so long as I don't sell it Lucas films can't do shit to me.

Now, considering the game maker isn't planning on reprinting anything and there are no retail available copies of the game, there is no reason why people should be forbidden from making their own copy of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Wilson
United States
Montgomery
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slightlyoff wrote:
Kelanen wrote:
NubiS wrote:
Kelanen wrote:

And I choose not to.

Actually it's not. There is no law against making your own version of ANYTHING for personal use so long as you are the one producing it and you aren't selling it.

I can film a shot for shot remake of star wars and so long as I don't sell it Lucas films can't do shit to me.

Now, considering the game maker isn't planning on reprinting anything and there are no retail available copies of the game, there is no reason why people should be forbidden from making their own copy of the game.

Sure you could re-make a game, but you can't use the copyrighted art or text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
slightlyoff wrote:
Kelanen wrote:
NubiS wrote:
Kelanen wrote:

And I choose not to.

I have no clue about the legality of it. But a reason for not doing could be, that it diminishes the viability of actually reprinting the game, if a sufficient amount of people copy a game using material and files made easily available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Savva
msg tools
mb
marqzen wrote:

I have no clue about the legality of it. But a reason for not doing could be, that it diminishes the viability of actually reprinting the game, if a sufficient amount of people copy a game using material and files made easily available.

I doubt it. There is so much effort into printing your own copy that these people need to be really invested into this game. Others would just "meh" and play another title. While these people would most probably be the first to buy a new edition.

I'm trying to print some stuff on my own, and it is a pain in the ass. Miniatures cost money, printing cards cost money, the glue cost money, Civ boards, etc. But editing the scans... it is the worst, since I am no graphic designer. I would happily pay $100, get a new copy and just forget about it (or would I? Because I actually started to like all this DIY stuff).

But I am doing all this because I like the game and want to play it with CIVILIZATION expansion again (the game should have come with it from the start). Trust me, when this game gets a reprint, I will gladly exchange my home-made ugly cards, oversized home realms and flimsy CIV sheets on professionally printed on a whim.

Until then, I prefer to keep this game alive by "pirating" it. Because its publisher doesn't seem to care too much about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slightlyoff wrote:
Kelanen wrote:
NubiS wrote:
Kelanen wrote:

And I choose not to.

You don't know the law.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J.
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
In an interview, Gary Gygax once mentioned that during the early 1970s, TSR became aware that large numbers of bootleg copies of Dungeons & Dragons were being circulated on college campuses, having been copied on campus Xerox machines. The company chose to not only ignore it, but to subtly encourage it. Their reasoning, which proved correct, was that these copies would be free advertising and increase future sales by making the game more accessible to the masses. A boardgame has no intrinsic value, it's only value is as a social activity. If there aren't enough copies for players to enjoy, the value of the IP and existing copies ultimately goes to zero.

BeatU wrote:
I doubt it. There is so much effort into printing your own copy that these people need to be really invested into this game. Others would just "meh" and play another title. While these people would most probably be the first to buy a new edition.

I'm trying to print some stuff on my own, and it is a pain in the ass. Miniatures cost money, printing cards cost money, the glue cost money, Civ boards, etc. But editing the scans... it is the worst, since I am no graphic designer. I would happily pay $100, get a new copy and just forget about it (or would I? Because I actually started to like all this DIY stuff).

But I am doing all this because I like the game and want to play it with CIVILIZATION expansion again (the game should have come with it from the start). Trust me, when this game gets a reprint, I will gladly exchange my home-made ugly cards, oversized home realms and flimsy CIV sheets on professionally printed on a whim.

Until then, I prefer to keep this game alive by "pirating" it. Because its publisher doesn't seem to care too much about it.

Agreed, I bet more dinged and dented copies got thrown away by the publisher than will ever be made by bootleggers. Boardgames are not like DVD or PC games. Few people would ever take a copy over an official product.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.