13 Posts

Darkest Night (Second edition)» Forums » General

Subject: First Game: Hero Suggestions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Throwin Rocks
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got the game, and this will be my first time playing it. Does anyone have any recommendations for my starting four heroes? I am a bit daunted by the options. No doubt I want a balanced team, but I'm not at all familiar with their abilities.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Tungsten
msg tools
mbmb
The Knight is always good. Maybe her plus the Crusader to assure you've got some muscle for combat, and perhaps add the Scout & one of the magic users? Sounds balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Tungsten
msg tools
mbmb
The Rogue is another regular who's always nice to have
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Throwin Rocks
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome. That was all I needed. I can't wait to dive into this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gardner
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't've been helpful, since I always randomize all four -- and do the best I can with 'em.

Have fun with this great game.

--David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Throwin Rocks
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David Gardner wrote:
I wouldn't've been helpful, since I always randomize all four -- and do the best I can with 'em.

--David

I think I'll be doing this in future plays. For now I'm glad I got to sample a few different styles of play in my first run through.

This game is really awesome. So thematic. It's very easy to get wrapped up in the story narrative with a little imagination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe B
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
David Gardner wrote:

--David

Just got the game and this is what I did and plan to always do. Figure I have no clue about the different heroes and I want to experience them all, so might as well just dive in.

Starting lineup is Acolyte, Mesmer, Crusader and Tamer. Seems pretty solid so far, after playing a few rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, I played (and won) my first game yesterday with Crusader, Knight, Rogue and Wizard.

I don't *think* I messed any rules up, but I definitely forgot to apply a blight power once or twice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gardner
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Easy to forget rules include:

(1) At end of every Hero turn, double-check the blights in the Hero's area -- make sure you are encountering the monsters -- basically, always be cognizant of blights everywhere -- especially the global, red-bordered ones. By the way, I'm saying this as much to myself as to any of you -- it's just really easy to forget.

(2) When you fight blights, it's a messy and noisy affair -- remember always to dock that Hero one secrecy....

(3) When you Hide and when you Travel, you gain one secrecy for each of these actions... BUT, only up to 5 (regardless of Hero's default)... don't pump up the secrecy past 5 for these actions.

(4) Items are fully shared at all times by any Heroes who occupy the same space. Very useful to remember.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Throwin Rocks
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David Gardner wrote:
Easy to forget rules include:

(1) At end of every Hero turn, double-check the blights in the Hero's area -- make sure you are encountering the monsters -- basically, always be cognizant of blights everywhere -- especially the global, red-bordered ones. By the way, I'm saying this as much to myself as to any of you -- it's just really easy to forget.

(2) When you fight blights, it's a messy and noisy affair -- remember always to dock that Hero one secrecy....

(3) When you Hide and when you Travel, you gain one secrecy for each of these actions... BUT, only up to 5 (regardless of Hero's default)... don't pump up the secrecy past 5 for these actions.

(4) Items are fully shared at all times by any Heroes who occupy the same space. Very useful to remember.

Great tips. I just finished my first game. I KNOW I kept forgetting #2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gardner
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemme add one more that I just came across, as I'm new to Second Edition as well (aren't almost all of us?):

(5) Heroes can only have, at maximum, three sparks.

--DG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
let's go.
badge
when i get home, i'm so tired. just roll over, please, i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
For my first game, I just used the heroes pictured in the setup in the rulebook. For future games, I'll likely randomize the heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Something Ridiculous
msg tools
mbmb
I'm in a similar scenario - looking for some heroes to suggest to first-timers. I'm trying to play through most of the characters so I can get a vague idea. Right now the Wizard and Knight both seem like good options. The Druid is a little more complicated, but Mist Form is very forgiving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.