Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
NoName NoLastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got the game, and I have some questions on rules/clarifications:

1. In the FAQ, it states monsters have to perform Shield X on their turn to have it on any given round, so does Stun after in the same round remove it?

2. Flying or jumping does not trigger traps, right? (I think I saw something about this somewhere, but can't remember)

3. Do advantages and disadvantages (plural) cancel each other out, regardless of number? I interpret it as you don't cancel on a 1:1 basis.

4. Characters may not change parties, right?

5. Are there any good write-ups of the rules out there? I think I got most of it, but I feel they could probably be better, so if there's anything out there, that'd be great!

Thanks a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Stępiński
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Once the shield activates, nothing removes it. Stunning at this point won't do a thing.

2. Right.

3. I think they do, but don't quote me on that. It never came up when I played, so I'm not sure.

4. Not really, but don't let that stop you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Erlandsson
msg tools
Feilin wrote:
I just got the game, and I have some questions on rules/clarifications:

1. In the FAQ, it states monsters have to perform Shield X on their turn to have it on any given round, so does Stun after in the same round remove it?

2. Flying or jumping does not trigger traps, right? (I think I saw something about this somewhere, but can't remember)

3. Do advantages and disadvantages (plural) cancel each other out, regardless of number? I interpret it as you don't cancel on a 1:1 basis.

4. Characters may not change parties, right?

5. Are there any good write-ups of the rules out there? I think I got most of it, but I feel they could probably be better, so if there's anything out there, that'd be great!

1. No Stun only stops the figure from executing their next "turn of actions"

2. You can avoid traps when passing over them if you jump and you can end your turn on a trap if you have flying. But I'm pretty sure you can trigger the traps if you want, aka landing.

3. Yes, you can never ever have a condition more than once (binary), so if you are Muddled and Strengthened at the same time they just cancel out, but are not removed.

4. Yes and no, you can have every "group" that plays the same Gloomhaven box be part of one huge party, even if they are different groups, in that case you could jump between groups. But I would recommend that you make a party for each group, assuming they don't plan to mix. If you play in two parties you "should" want to play a different character, the main goal of the game is to retire your characters so you get to test as many different ones as possible!

5. There is a "cheat-sheet" which is good, only 8 pages of small font text! Unfortunately there are quite a few things to learn when playing GH, playing the first 2 scenarios is the best way to learn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1. For monsters, there are two types of abilities:
- abilities listed on their big square stat card. these abilities are always in effect, regardless of when they go in initiative order
- abilities that are granted by their ability card that is drawn (from their 8-card deck) each round. These don't take effect until they are activated when their initiative is reached.

Stunning a monster prior to their initiative during the current round (or if they start out the round stunned) means they will not gain any abilities granted by their drawn (on this round) ability card, but they'd still have their abilities listed on their stat card.

But stunning a monster after they had already gained their shield/retaliate/whatever doesn't stop them from shielding and/or retaliating.

2. flying figures never trigger traps. jumping figures are basically flying during their move, but would trigger a trap if they ended their move on the trap. Don't forget to check the monster's stat card as some of them have permanant flight ability. examples:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
living spirit, and flame demon, amongst others

3. yes, they cancel each other out always, yielding just a normal attack. even if you had 15 effects granting you advantage and just 1 putting you at disadvantage.

4. I don't believe there are really any hard and fast rules about this. The rulebook suggests that when creating a new party, you should create new characters, but it doesn't really say much else. Changing parties can create some complications that may need resolved, but it doesn't really break the game I don't think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
There are items that grant you advantage without giving you Strengthen. If you have Strengthen, Muddle AND use the Goggles, what would be the result?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
Joou wrote:
There are items that grant you advantage without giving you Strengthen. If you have Strengthen, Muddle AND use the Goggles, what would be the result?

Extra sources of (dis)advantage don't stack, so you'd have a normal draw as advantage and disadvantage cancel each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Joou wrote:

rulebook pg 21 wrote:
Instances of Advantage or Disadvantage don’t stack, and if an attack has instances of both Advantage and Disadvantage, they cancel
out each other and the attack is performed normally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
Right, I was thinking just of the buffs. Good looking out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NoName NoLastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for the replies!
perer005 wrote:
Feilin wrote:
2. You can avoid traps when passing over them if you jump and you can end your turn on a trap if you have flying. But I'm pretty sure you can trigger the traps if you want, aka landing.
Rules say:
Rules p 14 wrote:
Flying and Jump movements are unaffected by traps
Rules p 19 wrote:
This allows figures to completely ignore any figures and terrain tiles during any part of their movement
So the question is what "allows" means (if it's voluntary or not), specifically in relation to the first one. Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
Feilin wrote:
This allows figures to completely ignore any figures and terrain tiles during any part of their movement

Isaac is usually very precise with his wordings. I'd say the use of both "allow" and "during any part" pretty clearly indicates it as optional. Otherwise it would be phrased differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
while the rules don't specifically state it, I don't see why a flying monster couldn't choose to "land" on a trap/hazard if they really wanted to.
Really only would come into play if a player character gained flying (through an item or ability or something) but wanted to intentionally take on damage or something (maybe for the purposes of a battle goal), or maybe just to clear a trap out of the way so a squishier non-flying ally could go through that hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.