Subject: Victory Point end game calculation and Syracuse rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack Schneider
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
I notice that at game's end and assuming an auto victory hasn't occurred that when counting VP you get no credit for captured settlements unless they have city markers on them. True you now get VPs for originally controlled cities but I just want to be sure this is not a misprint since captured minor neutral towns are not counted as they would be at the end of a Campaign sequence (end of a regular turn). Is this correct? I am reading and understanding this from page 22 of the rulebook.

I am also somewhat confused by the status of Syracuse at the end of game victory point count. Are the three points counted by the controlling side or not? In 4.5 first paragraph of the rulebook it makes clear the neutral cube is worth nothing nor do you gain a prestige point. But it is considered an enemy territory at game start so should you not gain the 3 points as per section 6 "Ending the Game pg. 22 five dots down from the top of the page?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Jigsaw
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack, I'm not sure I follow. You get 1 VP per captured town, 2 VP per captured disc. The rulebook says that you get VP of all captured enemy starting locations, whether or not they are in supply. It says nothing about cities vs towns.

Is there a specific section you're referring to that I'm forgetting?

Syracuse is not an enemy starting location, it is considered neutral.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Schneider
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
Regarding Syracuse then the term "enemy" refers only to the other player. Section 4.5 paragraph 1 sentence 3 says Syracuse is considered enemy controlled territory for both players until captured. This would be relevant for End of Game VP count as per pg. 22 5th dot down from the top. So Syracuse is Neutral only-clear clarification from the designer himself.

With regard to the towns vs cities End of Game VP count pg. 22 of the Rulebook again comes into play. The very first dot says you get 1 VP for each friendly-controlled developed location. Comparing the term developed to the handy compilation of actions player aid I find that under Expansive Actions Settle a location gives you a cube while Develop a location is a city marker. Therefore since End of Game VP calculation of pg. 22 says "1 VP for each friendly-controlled developed Location (in supply)" I read this to mean only cities are counted which is different from the wording listed on the game board under End of Turn which gives you a VP for each "captured neutral or enemy area".

I'm just trying to clarify whether pg. 22 of the rulebook dot number 1 is misstated and should read like the wording on the map board's End of Turn sequence for this particular VP. As I read RAW neutral settlements friendly controlled or not don't score any VP at End of Game. For example the town of Enna in Sicily even if captured by either side is not scored at the end of the game. Is this any clearer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Jigsaw
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, the end of game VP scoring is different than the end of turn VP. The rulebook is correct. Towns in neutral territory do not score points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.