13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Card Design - Feedback Please? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ting Xu
msg tools
Hi Guys!

I'm working a game, the name is TBD. I've never made a board game, so everything is reallllyyy new to me.

Quick Summary
A fast-paced social game where the goal is to earn trash bins through:
1. Pure luck - draw from pile
2. Earning them - through embarassing yourself
3. Backstabbing your friends.

There's a lot of variations to the game as all the cards are different and there is no dominant strategy to win. This game is for laughs and not to be taken seriously.

If you guys could give me feedback on the things you like/don't like:

- Overall look of the cards
- Color scheme
- Character design
- Would you be interested in buying this (based on the very little info I've provided) Why/why not?

I would be so SO grateful for any constructive feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Pillai
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
1st impressions? Cute raccoon mascot character. 2nd impression, Exploding Kittens (for better or worse).

I'm not a fan of the different messy background type of deck. Perhaps it is my mild OCD, or because my momma was dragged away by a pack of messily designed cards, but it's not my preference. I can play a game with it, but I'm not gonna play a 2nd game with it based entirely on it's looks. If the game is fun, I'll play the heck out of it, but I'll annoy everyone by repeating 'I wish the cards looked nicer' each and every game.

Color scheme... are the colors important? Does each color denote a specific category or are they parts of sets? They are pleasant enough, the bottom right card is my favorite since I like that teal-blue/green color a lot. And I mean a lot, it's the color of my phone.

Character, very cute, memorable as an identifier (hey let's play that raccoon game). The character looks like he's got 'roid rage or just got through a bag of crack cocaine, lol. A Crackoon!

One thing I would suggest is add icons or symbols to supplement the text instructions. Reading is not a group activity, nor a quick, accurate, fun activity if performed drunk.

Would I buy/back this? No, not my gaming groups cup of tea/alcohol induced choice of game. Even accounting from my superficialness, I'm not your target audience. I have friends who play games, friends who drink, friends who like talking and friends who are into weird shit that I'm too scared to ever join them. They unfortunately don't really overlap on a grand social circle.

Now, this is all based on what you've shown. I reserve the right to reverse my opinions if I'm wrong. But I'm never wrong, except half the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicki Lloyd
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hi there. Just a few quick things from me, firstly to second the opinion on the style...it seems a bit much on the cards. Maybe make them a little easier and simpler on the eyes. Something like the same layout or specific icons to set a category apart for example.

Style is good though, I like it and the game sounds interesting. I like there is numerous ways to win and you can either be evil to the other players or just be a lucky devil and get what you need etc haha

Good luck with the game though, looks/sounds good
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepijn van Loon
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the character design and I think the style fits the type of game well. The pink and green borders for the different type of cards work well in differentiating them. I'm not sure how pink and green work with colorblind people, but you still have the "play anytime" text there, so that should be fine.

I think the legibility of the small text needs some work, especially on the blue card. Use high contrasting colors and maybe get rid of other distracting elements behind the text.

Would I be interested in buying this? Absolutely not. A lot of people seem to like these games, but I'm not into pure random take that party games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ting Xu
msg tools
hey guys,

Thanks for all the comments! I really appreciate the honesty.

I will look into making the cards less crazy and easier to read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ormel
msg tools
I like the look of the cards and colour scheme. I agree that you should make the smaller text easier to read. The racoon is cute and true to real life. 😂
I would probably not buy this because I'm not into this type of game, and it has swears.
I do encourage you to keep pressing on, though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Create a text box. Rules text is hard to read on some of your backgrounds.
If you can make it slightly transparent to keep the background art visible, but what matters most is the rules text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vivien JustJ

New York
msg tools
why are there so many bigots on BGG?
badge
10 YARDS OF LINEN
mbmbmb
-fine
-fine, but avoid contrasting white with neon colors: it's illegible.
-fine
-no, stop trying to be edgy with misogynist language, there's better ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lowen
United States
Fallbrook
California
flag msg tools
DeliveranceTheGame.com
badge
The battle between Heaven & Hell will soon be waged at your table. Deliverance is coming...
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like I wouldn't want to play a card that awarded another player trash bins (based on your short rules definition), so two of your cards (big deal + the "play immediately" card) seem a bit counter-intuitive to me, though the "play immediately" seems like it should be a communal "everyone gets to interact with this... even you" type of card.

If the goal is to win trash bins, maybe you should emphasize stealing bins from other players in addition to winning bins?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tess Lynx
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
1. Overall look of the cards
They seem kinda messy, and the small text at the bottom is extremely hard to read. Consider having a section devoted to the small text (much like play immediately seems to be on top). I also don't know what the Trash card does. Whats it's point (or is this one of the trash bins, in which case be consistent with its name)? I'm kinda a big deal card - do you give them one of YOUR trash bins then? Where is this backstabbing?

2. Color scheme
I'm not into neon at all. Makes it feel a little juevenile. Maybe make the pink more of a red? (to highlight the urgency of playing it immediately) and darken the green (to go with the yellow a bit more)
I do like the yellow/teal colors of the other two cards.

3. Character design
I duuno, he seems cute and racoonish?

4. Would you be interested in buying this (based on the very little info I've provided) Why/why not?
Honestly? It entirely depends on price. If researching a game, I make final judgement on a game based on the rule book though, so *shrug

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
1. Overall look of the cards is grungy, which should be ok since the game is probably about 'trash pandas'. But, its grungy without any order or meaning, just lots of vectorized color splashes all around in random spread.

2. Color scheme also doesn't work on most of the example cards, especially those neon combinations. It looks like some colors are just picked randomly or based on the little knowledge of the complementary colors the artist/designer had.

3. Character design is ok, It goes well with the casual-trashy theme of the game.

4. I wouldn't be interested in buying, but that's because I'm not your target audience. I really hate all those 'take that' games that are trying to shock using swearing words or bad meme humor, and this one is the typical example of that. Also, messy artwork and the presentation of the whole game would sway me for checking what's that colorful mess on the table.

Usually I would give you some suggestions, like move the text left or up, or change that color, etc, but in this case I would toss the complete graphic design and made something new.

If you wish I can make you a mock up card of my vision of the artwork that might work better with this theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noelle R.
msg tools
Sorry if i'm late to the part, but I wanted to reply to this.

I really like the way this is headed. I understand it's not going to be the kind of card game that everyone would want to play, but i'm really into the fun and weird card games that inject humour into gameplay.

I like the style, I like the direction but I'd like it to be a little neater. The backgrounds you have look great, but it makes it difficult to put text on them and not run into issues of legibility. You can easily fix this by reducing the size of the actual images in your cards. Instead of them taking up the full size of your cards, have them in the center. I think this will make your cards look more polished, but also help with that feeling of being too busy that everyone is talking about.

I really like the design of the last card how you obscure some of the text with the raccoon, very fitting, but again we run into issues with contrast of the text. Maybe move the dark blue splotches up behind the raccoon so that you have a solid blue background to fit that white text on. Also, the yellow in that particular text doesn't contrast enough with the blue. I know they are opposing colors that go well together, but in text they can be really finicky. Maybe instead of going with a yellow, perhaps go with a light blue.

Otherwise, I like the direction. I think maybe decreasing the size of the images might solve most of your issues with people feeling the cards are too busy because in terms of content you don't have much on the cards. They are clean and only have what is necessary to push the game forward. You just need to fix the balance by providing more white space in the card (even if the white space isn't necessarily white).

Also for the first card, the text on trash I want to be a different color. Maybe white. Let me know when you want people to playtest, I'll totally print and playtest this game with my friends :} Also, we can play test it together if you turn it into a cardgame for tabletop simulator :} I'm working on doing that with my own card game nad it helps to playtest with people that aren't physically in your state or country.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ting Xu
msg tools
Thanks for the feedback!

I'll definitely reach out for some playtest soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.