9 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Do you reveal the Scenario Goal to players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ryan beaucage
Canada
flag msg tools
We're playing scenario 66 - clockwork something.

Do you as players or game masters reveal the Goal requirements to the players?

When a door is opened/closed or opened permanently via pressure plate, do you explicitly tell the players or do you let them figure it out?

The reason i'm asking is, turns are very valuable, wasting them on trying to figure things out it hurting my party.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael T.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scenario goals and special rules are read to the players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ftl ftw
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gloomhaven doesn't really have a game master, all players have the same amount of information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
ftl_ftw wrote:
Gloomhaven doesn't really have a game master, all players have the same amount of information.

If that's the way you want to play it. Our group usually takes turns with who reads the texts and sets up the monsters so the rest of the group can enjoy the narrative more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DeS_Tructive wrote:
ftl_ftw wrote:

If that's the way you want to play it. Our group usually takes turns with who reads the texts and sets up the monsters so the rest of the group can enjoy the narrative more.
ftl_ftw's statement is correct, it's a fact that Gloomhaven doesn't have a game master. There is no game master defined in the rules, so the game does not have one. On the other hand if you choose to play it with a GM then that is your choice and a Variant, but ftl_ftw is not "choosing to play it that way", they are playing Gloomhaven per the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
DeS_Tructive wrote:
ftl_ftw wrote:

ftl_ftw's statement is correct, it's a fact that Gloomhaven doesn't have a game master. There is no game master defined in the rules, so the game does not have one. On the other hand if you choose to play it with a GM then that is your choice and a Variant, but ftl_ftw is not "choosing to play it that way", they are playing Gloomhaven per the rules.

The rules also specify that you are only allowed to know how your current room is set up, not every room in a scenario, which is impossible when using the standard scenario book. Someone will be forced to look at the whole setup. Unless you get some third party to do the setup for you, which would be a game master. Otherwise one of the players is the "game master" and it makes no sense that all other players also get to see this forbidden information just to fulfill "all players have the same amount of information" rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
florencka wrote:
mccrispy wrote:

The rules also specify that you are only allowed to know how your current room is set up, not every room in a scenario, which is impossible when using the standard scenario book. Someone will be forced to look at the whole setup. Unless you get some third party to do the setup for you, which would be a game master. Otherwise one of the players is the "game master" and it makes no sense that all other players also get to see this forbidden information just to fulfill "all players have the same amount of information" rule.

These contrary points are exactly why I interpreted it's a thing of preference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
florencka wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
DeS_Tructive wrote:
ftl_ftw wrote:

I believe the rules say to not set up all the rooms in advance, not to keep the information about that set up secret. After all, the map tiles are set out and the overlay tiles are positioned, it's just the monsters that are not placed (mainly, IMO, for standee limitation reasons, but coincidently having a "surprise" element).

In my group it's my copy of the game, so I'm familiar with the content, but somebody else always sets up the room (with assistance from the other two players) simply 'cos it speeds things up and allows me to make a round of coffee while they do it. I believe that the "secrecy" has one benefit: that you can't plan your approach to room 2 while you're working on room 1, specifically the turn when you open the door always has some surprise element. Even with "open" information, this surprise still occurs as I believe is the design intent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
Gloomhaven is a diceless game about tactical positioning and hand management... IF that's the way you want to play it. I actually choose to replace attack modifiers with dice, action cards with nothing, and simply read aloud the scenario conclusions to my gathered friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.