17 Posts

Escape the Dark Castle» Forums » Variants

Subject: Optional Boss rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Sherwood
msg tools
sylas1 wrote:
As a huge fan of Fighting Fantasy gamebooks, I felt this would be appropriate for a final encounter. Let me know what you think.

Looks great, I can't remember the books as it has been decades since I have read them. Is this a throwback to one of them or inspired by?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Pike
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
While we really appreciate your enthusiasm, and we obviously love FF too, publishing imitations of our game components may actually constitute a copyright infraction, and besides it makes us very uncomfortable not least because some of the rules on that card we have the same or similar planned for future release. So unfortunately we will have to ask that you please take this down by order of the Death Knight - sorry.

And by the way, with 4 Damage and all those specials, this guy is far, far too brutal - even for this already brutal game!

No hard feelings, thanks for understanding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rogányi Antal
msg tools
Wow, this was inspired by a monster from Deathtrap Dungeon, one of my favourite FF book! Thomas, do you relly want this taken down? I doubt anyone will use that for real, and I really doubt this will hold back your sales.

I think that you should let it go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin White
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Rise And Reverberate
mbmbmbmbmb
If the gane designer wants this taken down then it should be taken down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Pike
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nothing heavy, we'd just prefer it if people didn't do this. Of course this one instance is not going to have huge impact, and we're very flattered, but if everyone started doing it then things might get into weird legal territory. We just want everyone to enjoy the game as printed. Thanks for understanding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sylas vlad venare
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Themeborne wrote:
While we really appreciate your enthusiasm, and we obviously love FF too, publishing imitations of our game components may actually constitute a copyright infraction, and besides it makes us very uncomfortable not least because some of the rules on that card we have the same or similar planned for future release. So unfortunately we will have to ask that you please take this down by order of the Death Knight - sorry.

And by the way, with 4 Damage and all those specials, this guy is far, far too brutal - even for this already brutal game!

No hard feelings, thanks for understanding.

Well this is disappointing but understandable. Most other game companies welcome variant designs. I did this just for fun I didn't mean to step on anyone's toes and was hoping it would promote the game more. (You could always hire me to get around the problem 😉) but I will respect your wishes and have the post deleted by the end of the day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Pike
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Cool, thank you. We know you meant well - and it was a pretty good effort!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Davis
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will this game company be against all fanmade stuff, or is it just because this example uses copyrighted art?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Pike
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I think it would depend what the content was. We are a new publisher taking our first steps. Part of that is trying to keep the message clean about what our game is and how it looks. The appearance of unofficial cards so early in the process is a little jarring, and unnerving. Not a big deal, and of course fine for fans to do in private, but we can envisage a scenario a few steps down the line from this where things could get out of hand. That could be bad for us, and fans could get in trouble, so we felt it better to politely ask people not to publish them. Please enjoy the game as printed - and we'll keep the great content coming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sylas vlad venare
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've deleted the post but I've no idea how to delete the thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buckley
United Kingdom
Abingdon
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sylas1 wrote:

I don't think you can delete the thread. The difficulty is that the first post now still has your quoted OP in it, so I guess ryescher would have to delete that one...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin White
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Rise And Reverberate
mbmbmbmbmb
hemulen wrote:
sylas1 wrote:

I don't think you can delete the thread. The difficulty is that the first post now still has your quoted OP in it, so I guess ryescher would have to delete that one...

The image will still be in sylas1's image gallery, click on the image in the quoted post and it will take you there. If he deletes that would the quoted post still contain it? Worth a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James B
msg tools
Great homebrew, it's disappointing to see the publishers push back like this, imagine if skyrim had no user mods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sylas vlad venare
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gavin23 wrote:
hemulen wrote:
sylas1 wrote:

The image will still be in sylas1's image gallery, click on the image in the quoted post and it will take you there. If he deletes that would the quoted post still contain it? Worth a try.

It's gone from my gallery now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Pike
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Cool. Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sylas vlad venare
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While on the subject, am I allowed to make suggestions/ideas on ANY variants? My gaming group and I love this game and we came up with a few optional rules. Extra Bosses was one of them (I actually had 3 more coming up), but we also discussed running Quests to increase difficulty, and temporary Allies too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Pike
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Absolutely. You are always free to discuss things you'd like to see added to the game. We draw the line at publishing card files, but it's a great idea to maybe start a new forum thread and get some of those suggestions down to see what the community thinks. We are working on a raft of expansions, and we are always reading fan-suggestions to make sure what we release is on point. Thanks for sharing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.