Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, we've played Castaways three times and lost all three. We know the game is tough and we've improved (i.e. made it to a later round) in each game. But one of the big stumbling blocks we're running across is access to furs. The problem is that there's almost never more than one thing to hunt and often nothing to hunt. The rules setup says to put the Beasts in a Beast deck off the board and add a card to the Hunting deck when the symbol appears on a new tile or when an Event card says to do so.

The problem is that we almost never have a Hunting "deck". A beast appears in the Hunting space, we run out and kill it, and then we wait for multiple rounds before another one appears. Meanwhile, we can't build the shelter (we've only played with 4 players each time) or the roof and are getting destroyed by the weather because we can't find a source of furs. Is this just the way it is? I don't expect that this tiny island is going to be stocked like a game preserve, but it just seems odd that Hunting should be both so rare AND so dangerous at the same time, especially when two essential items of survival (shelter and roof) rely on access to the key resource of beasts (furs) that is available nowhere else. And not even all beasts have furs! We played last night and got to hunt a python and a crocodile. No furs on either. We died from weather damage.

Have I missed a key passage in the rules or is this just the way it is? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't sound like you are exploring enough.

Also, IIRC, you can build your shelter/roof with fur or with wood.

Everytime I've lost in that scenario it's been because of a lack of wood, not a lack of fur.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Adams
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As the other comment mentions...
1. You can build a shelter/roof/walls with EITHER fur OR wood! Typically, I build these items with wood (especially if there's a carpenter in the mix). Fur is essentially a luxury in my mind... they are nice to have but wood is what you should be collecting to build!

Anyways, If you find that you would prefer more animals to hunt I suppose you could draw two beast cards for every symbol you flip over however, this is NOT the rules of the game but... if your not happy with some aspects house rule it!

Have fun,
RC is an awesome game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
D'oh! That's where we're screwing up. We were reading the materials to build a shelter as requiring BOTH wood and furs. Somehow, we realized that a / between items means "either" everywhere else on the board except there. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elena Litovka
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also I would note that, since you are playing with 4 players, you can use soldier's ability to add beasts to the hunting deck. Although it is expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right. We thought about doing that but never seemed to have the Determination at the right time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.