Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jerry Hall
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just started, but good read so far! My favorite part of the war and the game...Japan figuring out what to do after turns 1 and 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Purvis
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This and Empires in the Balance, the first book in the series, are a great help in understanding the background to the first turns of the game. There was going to be a third volume, but I read the author lost interest once the US started their advance back across the Pacific.

Reading these made me appreciate what a great job the game does at stimulating the campaign at the strategic level. I just wish I had more time to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCue
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These books are, by far, the best on the topic.

SFPurvis wrote:
There was going to be a third volume, but I read the author lost interest once the US started their advance back across the Pacific.

He must have regained interest, because he later wrote a book on Leyte Gulf, which is best-of-breed on that topic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Huber-Wehner
Germany
Brühl
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This book is in my pipeline together with "Empires in Balance".

But first I have to read "Combined Fleet Decoded" from Prados,
"Guadalcanal" from Frank and "Bloody Tarawa: The 2nd Marine
Division, November 20-23, 1943" from Hammel.

Hope that Eric Bergerud will one day finish "Oil On The Water:
The Naval War In The South Pacific".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brianmccue wrote:
These books are, by far, the best on the topic.

SFPurvis wrote:
There was going to be a third volume, but I read the author lost interest once the US started their advance back across the Pacific.

He must have regained interest, because he later wrote a book on Leyte Gulf, which is best-of-breed on that topic.

Although I am not sure it is a set, but he also wrote this one and if you line it up with Empires in the Balance, The Barrier and the Javelin, Period of Balance, and Leyte... you more or less get a continuous story from this great author.

https://www.amazon.com/War-Japan-Period-Balance-1942-October...

I used the first two of these books when I was researching Pacific War, with the other two used for Empire of the Sun. However, if you want to read a really detailed analysis of the initial Japanese plan check out.

The Invasion of the Dutch East Indies published by the Japanese National Defense College and the magisterial Hirohito's War.

https://www.amazon.com/Hirohitos-War-Pacific-1941-1945/dp/14...

Great material out there since I did Pacific War,

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Scanlan
United States
Swampscott
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
For my money these books are sine non qua for understanding the war in the Pacific. It puts the naval treaties of the 20’s in perspective, Japan was coming out ahead with them in force, and then on to the masterful telling of the story of how the war was shaped by the opposing strategies up until the middle of 1942. The insightfulness puts these volumes in a class of their own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Desalvo
Italy
Country side area north of Rome
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a feder-allergic and I blame the Klingon for not having smashed the Federation in time to save us from Star Trek serials.
mbmbmbmbmb
Xenophon wrote:
This book is in my pipeline together with "Empires in Balance".

But first I have to read "Combined Fleet Decoded" from Prados,
"Guadalcanal" from Frank and "Bloody Tarawa: The 2nd Marine
Division, November 20-23, 1943" from Hammel.

Hope that Eric Bergerud will one day finish "Oil On The Water:
The Naval War In The South Pacific".

Hammel is nice to read, but Willmott and Lundstrom are much better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hall
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I read Empires in the Balance, great read but liked the Barrier and Javelin better. Just finished Pacific Blitzkrieg by Sharon Lacey (wife of a personal friend), which provides good insights on Army-Marine integration and inter service rivalry. I am currently reading The Japanese Navy in WWII: In the Words of japanese Naval Officers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.