Nemesis» Forums » General

Subject: First time kickstarter... timetable question. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Schoewe
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
For a kickstarter this size what is a roundabout number for wait time after the kickstarter ends? Are we talking 3-6 months? Over a year? Just curious when I'll get to play this cool game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tollas McClane
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Per the campaign, the core game should ship in September and additional items in April.

AR is completing shipping of their previous campaign: Lords of Hellas. It was originally estimated for November and shipped in January. I know they not only learned from that experience, but this game is much simpler as far as components (no multi-part figures).

Based on that information, I would say two-wave shipping by end of year and one-wave no later than June, unless they encounter issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Strzyzewski
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Game is still in testing phase as well, so if there are balancing issues it may take longer. If you go 2 wave shipping you are supposed to get the base game this year. If you do 1 wave you will get everything next year, if things go according to plan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Calcagno
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest that a 2-3 month delay to whatever is anticipated (for any game, whether KS or not) will often occur.
And like Homer Simpson well knows...waiting is the hardest part...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Misztal
Poland
flag msg tools
It's differs from campaign to campaign. First, check the estimated delivery time (it's shown on the campaign site for every pledge level); for Nemesis, it's September 2018 for core game in 2-wave shipping, and April 2019 for everything else.
Then remember that nearly always there is some delay after estimated delivery. Sometimes it's just a few weeks, often few months, sometimes it's over a year. There are production issues, sometimes publishers underestimate amount of money they need to make the game, or there are gameplay issues that need to be resolved by additional playtests. Or some unexpected things - shipping of Lords of Hellas (the former game from AR) was delayed for about the week because of customs stopping some game elements in December.
And don't forget about shipping time, it's additional few days to 1-2 months, depending how far the package needs to go.

From the bright side:
- Nemesis core game was already playtested (author worked on it for 4 years) and AR team seems to determined not to change anything that could affect gameplay in serious way. That means the game is ready gameplay-wise.
- considering the amount of $$$ raised in this campaign, and the fact AR has some KS projects under their belt, there should be no delays based on money issues.
- LoH took a bit of delay, but some people got their copy in December (estimated delivery was November 2017)and shipping should be finished in the end of February. In Kickstarter, it's called "no actual delay"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Kumoja wrote:
It's differs from campaign to campaign. First, check the estimated delivery time (it's shown on the campaign site for every pledge level); for Nemesis, it's September 2018 for core game in 2-wave shipping, and April 2019 for everything else.

What about "stretch goals (added free to each kickstarter copy)", a.k.a. the mechanic, the medic, coop mode material, quality upgrades, alternative intruder minis and all the stuff from the voidseeder / aftermath expansion?

Are those counted as addons---as in "not part of the core box, arriving months later"---or are we only labeling the sundrop minis, terrain expansion and artbook as "you'll get them later" addons?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete R
msg tools
I would also like to know how this will work, are stretch goals that alter the base game eg. improved tokens, coop rules, mechanic 5th player and alternate intruder minis shipped in wave one with things like expansions with wave 2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Duran
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
History tells us we're getting the Core Game alone in first wave and the rest ( SG/Add-on's ) will show up next year. A reasonable expectation is you'll have this game in your hands Nov-2018 a the latest with the rest of it June-2018 at the latest - there are simply too many kinds of surprise delays that the company/no one can account for no matter how much buffering they put in the time line. Customs completely jacked Mage sleeves out of nowhere and delayed that for months. As stated above, the friendly fire issues seemed to be well addressed for this game and I would add the company didn't go to hell with themselves on the SG's ( we all like free stuff, but too many KS's delayed years over this problem ).

So be optimistic, but add a few months so you're not seething in September if it hasn't shown up yet. Also, the Sep-2018 date could mean when they ship, not when it arrives at your door step - in that case, you won't be getting it right away if you're not in Europe. Europe to USA shipping has been an odd lot with some arriving faster than some European countries with others 2 months later. Asia seems to get kicked badly at times ( I feel for my Asian peeps, they're still waiting on some KS games delivered years ago to everywhere else ), don't know why that is. And Australia always gets their stuff at least, but usually 2 months after everyone else does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Here's how it works: their deadline will say that the game is going to ship in autumn, or by the end of the year. They have everything perfectly planned out and are completely confident that, even though it's a tight schedule, they can certainly finish on time.

Then when that time comes, they'll say, "oh, after seeing the production samples, we had to make a few changes, but don't worry we're still on schedule. Oh, and our graphic designer quit/got fired so we had to find a new one."

Then when the end of the year arrives, they'll say, "oh, everything is so busy because of the holidays, but don't worry, it'll be on track for January next year."

Then when January comes, they'll say, "oh, we're working so hard to get everything ready before Chinese New Year." Then the next update will say, "oh whoops, we couldn't finish before CNY, so our production won't be finished until March. But don't worry, the games will be DEFINITELY shipping in March."

Of course, what they don't tell you is that the games are leaving China in March, and you actually have to add six weeks of travel time, two weeks of assembling boxes, two weeks of customs delays, and then another week before they actually reach the distribution center.

Then the distribution center actually has the games in their warehouse, but of course they can't send them, because they're just so busy because there are two dozen other games in the queue ahead of yours. So the games will sit there for another month.

Then finally, it's August, you've forgotten all about the game and lost all desire to play it, and good news: it's finally HERE!

Then you go on the forums after noticing the box is conspicuously lighter than expected and ask, "what happened to all the stretch goals?" And someone will reply, "didn't you see that update? The SGs were delayed for a few months." And then the whole process begins anew.

Of course, I'm just kidding! Except most of these things seem to happen to every game I've backed. Not that I'm bitter or anything. Luckily Awaken Realms seems to have a better track record than most companies when it comes to meeting deadlines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rees
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I can stop any time I want
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tollas wrote:
AR is completing shipping of their previous campaign: Lords of Hellas. It was originally estimated for November and shipped in January.

They had actually started shipping a very small amount of games in December, if I recall correctly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

One thing I forgot to add: one month before you get your game, some YouTube "celebrity" (who has absolutely no interest in the game) will somehow receive an early copy and do a long review of it, explaining how the game is the worst piece of crap he's ever seen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Schoewe
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the feedback... guess I'll just hope for the best... as far as the YouTube celebs... I've watched a few play tests with the prototype and with the exception of each group of people playing some key rules wrong they all seemed to enjoy it... I enjoyed watching and hope it will be as good a game as it appears to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
with this many backers, I wonder if it will be delayed to get it all made and shipped!

after watching the Beasts of War demo for this game, it was an insta-buy
I keep thinking of it, even though it's months away!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Festini
Germany
Markt Schwaben
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My personal table for KS projects:

Never delivered: sucks, extremely rare, but a potential risk with KS

Over 2-3 years late: somebody shouldn't have quit their day job

Over a year late: must be their first game, clueless project management or everybody let them down (contracted artists, manufacturer, fulfillment center, etc.)

6 months to a year: too optimistic in their planning, it happens (frequently)

3-6 months late: perfectly normal KS project

Less then 3 months late: great job

Delivered before estimated date: check outside for flying pigs or snowball fights in hell (happened maybe twice in 200 projects)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.