13 Posts

The Castles of Burgundy» Forums » General

Subject: Wow rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Dolloff
msg tools
mbmbmb
Holy crap. Picked up Castles of Burgundy up on Amazon this week for $22 because I had heard great stuff about it and couldn't pass it up at that price. Just opened the box and after watching a couple how to play videos and reviews, I followed the instructions for setup and tested a 2 player game on my own. This game is fantastic! Surprisingly quick turns but deep and interesting strategic decisions to make each turn. I can't wait to get this to the table with my normal 3-4 person game group. I see a lot of replayability and fun coming from this little box. Only complaint is the time separating out the different color 6 sided tiles to setup for each game but this one seems worth the effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, ditch the insert and get these to help with storage and set up: https://boardgamegeekstore.com/products/drawstring-bags-for-...

Love em, good value. Also, a small little tackelbox/plano box is great for all the wood pieces, silverlings, workers and bonus scoring tiles.

Second of all, YES! This game is GREAT...welcome to Burgundy. Its probably my favorite game of all time. (Definitely my fave Euro.)

After you've played for awhile, there are some nice little expansions that add some nice new tiles/player boards to the game. Don't rush though, there is plenty of awesomeness without anything else added.

Funny - I got into this game just like you did. I'd heard great things, so I traded for it. When I got it, I set it up and played a 20 minutes of a 2 player game. Something about this game just sucked me in. Some people complain about the components..I think they're absolutely perfect for the game and are very durable - I've had my copy for at least 5 years and besides box wear, the components are still like new.

I will say this - This game is a GREAT two player game...possibly the best I've played. Its perfect as a two player game. I'll also gladly play it 3 players, also. 4 players gets a little bit long, and waiting for your turn can be painful (not because it necessarily takes long, but because the agony of 3 other people going before you taking all the good tiles!) Despite that, I'll still play it with 4, but its best with 2-3. Maybe the first time you play it, try it with 2 or 3.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Bruni
Italy
Teglio
Sondrio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it's a fantastic game but with very low quality materials and this is the reason of its price.
You can use 4 bag for yellow, light green, black and brown tiles for shuffle and don't need to shuffle blu, Grey and dark green (because they are all equal) for a faster set up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Dolloff
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the tip. That's a great idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the goods tiles, yeah, your best bet is to lid shuffle them because of their setup. Also, since you won't be running through that many castles in a game, you can easily store the starting hex with that player's component's (at least from what I've seen from the boards)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Gabrielli
Italy
Ascoli
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome in the family.

This game is great for the low price, easy to pick rules and good strategies selection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris ward
Scotland
Paisley
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also just put 1 good tile face down o each round spot on the board. Then at start if each round place that and draw new ones to fill up the turn track fir the round.

Much faster and you don't have stacks of tiles to knock over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh, will keep that in mind for when I teach that, thank you, Chris.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Frag
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say for $8 you can buy the bags at the BGG store, which I find really speeds up the set up. No need to flip, shuffle and stack tiles just draw them from the bag...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
God no don't buy those bags they are too small and suck.

This insert is great. Five big holes for five things you need to randomize. Another one to hold the other bits...put the non random bits in a little plano box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Dolloff
msg tools
mbmbmb
I bought the bags and they fix the problem. Perfect game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Edwards
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have bought the bags if I knew about them. Instead I’m using these ziplock boxes. 6 of the smallest size and 1 of the short double wide ones. Inexpensive and you can get them anywhere. Link is of a full set just for reference.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ziploc-Container-with-One-Press-S...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravage Board Gaming
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
This insert is great. Five big holes for five things you need to randomize. Another one to hold the other bits...put the non random bits in a little plano box.

An insert where you need to buy an extra plano box is not what I would call great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.