Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Steve Rogers: Agent of HYDRA rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think he may have already been done, but I started reading Secret Empire so here’s my take on him...

Steve Rogers, Agent of HYDRA
HYDRA affiliated

Common 1:
Hail Hydra!
2 Recruit
Covert
Choose a Class. All your Allies of that Class count as HYDRA this turn (as well as their normal affiliation).
Cost 3

Common 2:
We Value Your Strength
1+ Attack
Strength
Choose a Class. You get +1 Attack for each HYDRA Ally with that Class you have played this turn.
Cost 3

Uncommon:
Any Means Necessary
0+ Attack
Tech
You get +2 Attack for each Class you have among all your HYDRA Allies
Cost 5

Rare:
Not in my HYDRA
4 Attack
Instinct
For each Class you have among all your HYDRA Allies, you may KO a card from your hand or discard pile.
Cost 7
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And let's do a Mastermind too...

****note: possible spoilers for secret empire below****

Captain America: HYDRA Supreme
8+ Attack
6 VPs
Captain America: HYDRA Supreme gets +1 Attack for each Colour of Hero in the HQ.
Always Leads: HYDRA Avengers
Master Strike: This Master Strike becomes a HYDRA Defense Villain with 8 Attack and worth 5VPs that fortifies the left-most unfortfied HQ space. While this space is fortified Heroes in that space may not be recruited.
Evil Wins: When all HQ spaces are fortified by Master Strikes.

Tactics:
False Sense of Security
Fight: The player with the most VP (or tied for most) chooses two non-grey Heroes from their hand or discard pile and shuffles them back into the Hero deck. Then shuffle any Master Strikes from that player's Victory Pile back into the Villain Deck.

HYDRA Crackdown
Fight: This tactic becomes a Villain with 8 Attack and Fortifies Captain America: HYDRA Supreme. While he is fortified, each player's hand size is reduced by 1 (next time they draw a new hand, players don't discard any cards in their hands).

Hammer of the Gods
Fight: Each player KOs a non-grey Hero from their hand or discard pile. Then shuffle any Master Strikes in players' Victory Piles back into the Villain deck.

The Real Steve Rogers
Fight: Gain this as a Hero
---
Strength; Avengers
2+ Attack
You get +2 Attack for each colour of Hero you have.

Still need to think about the Villain group...

Also, to anyone reading Secret Empire, I keep seeing references to Steve holding Mjolnir and a battle in DC but I can't figure out what issue of what series that happens in. Can anyone help me out?

Captain America: HYDRA Supreme
Epic Mastermind
9+ Attack
6 VPs
Captain America: HYDRA Supreme gets +1 Attack for each Colour of Hero in the HQ.
Start of Game: Shuffle an additional Master Strike into the Villain deck and then play a Villain card.
Always Leads: HYDRA Avengers
Master Strike: This Master Strike becomes a HYDRA Defense Villain with 9 Attack and worth 5VPs that fortifies the left-most unfortfied HQ space. While this space is fortified Heroes in that space may not be recruited.
Evil Wins: When all HQ spaces are fortified by Master Strikes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett S
Canada
flag msg tools
dontfeedthegreen wrote:

Also, to anyone reading Secret Empire, I keep seeing references to Steve holding Mjolnir and a battle in DC but I can't figure out what issue of what series that happens in. Can anyone help me out?

The battle, including the controversial Nazi-wielding-Mjolnir moment, took place in a special Secret Empire issue released for Free Comic Book Day, set between Secret Empire #0 and #1. It might be tricky to find a copy now, but maybe a digital source will have it.

Nice work on the mastermind. It may be worth noting that in the comics, Hydra is usually presented as a proper name rather than an all-caps acronym. As far as I can tell, presenting it in all caps is a conceit of the Cinematic Universe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gscrap wrote:
dontfeedthegreen wrote:

The battle, including the controversial Nazi-wielding-Mjolnir moment, took place in a special Secret Empire issue released for Free Comic Book Day, set between Secret Empire #0 and #1. It might be tricky to find a copy now, but maybe a digital source will have it.

G'ah! I did see a reference to that somewhere, but tried searching for that issue on Marvel Unlimited and couldn't find it.

I initially somehow skipped Secret Empire #0 and was thoroughly confused, thinking they were going to explain what happened in flashbacks later or something. Eventually figured I really had missed something and went back, but still couldn't find the Mjolnir bit.

Quote:

Nice work on the mastermind. It may be worth noting that in the comics, Hydra is usually presented as a proper name rather than an all-caps acronym. As far as I can tell, presenting it in all caps is a conceit of the Cinematic Universe.

Thanks, I was going for a vibe of him shutting down all the Heroes options.

Re HYDRA vs Hydra: I did not know that. Makes we want to go check card text and see what the convention is on official Legendary cards, though may be hard to track down, as most card names etc are in caps anyway. Would need to look in ability/flavour text for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett S
Canada
flag msg tools
I've checked it out (on Red Skull's Mastermind cards), and confirmed that Legendary uses the ALL CAPS version. Go figure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Think I might have him lead the HYDRA Avengers instead. Here’s a few ideas for them, 1 copy each unless specified. I want them to have quite beneficial fight effects to balance the tough mastermind, and to show how serving HYDRA isn't sitting too well with them...

HYDRA Avengers

Unworthy Thor
8* Attack
4 VPs
Bribe
Fight: If you made at least 8 Recruit this turn, you get +4 Attack.
Escape: Each player discards two cards with Recruit icons.

Deadpool
7 Attack
5 VPs
Fight: Gain a SHIELD Officer to your hand. Then draw a card for each of your odd-costed Heroes.
Escape: Each player KOs an odd-costed Hero from their discard pile.

Superior Octopus
6 Attack
4 VPs
While Superior Octopus is in the city he cancels the Fight effects of all other HYDRA Avenger Villains in the city.
Fight: When you draw a new hand of cards at the end of your turn, draw two extra cards.

Scarlet Witch
5 Attack
3 VPs
Fight: Reveal the top card of the Hero deck. If it has an odd cost, gain it.
Escape: Each player discards an odd-costed card from their hand.

Vision
2* Attack
3 VPs
Elusive 5
Fight: A card in your hand may use Phasing once this turn.
Escape: Each player Phases a random card from their hand.

Taskmaster
5+ Attack
4 VPs
Bribe
Taskmaster gets +Attack equal to the highest non-zero cost among all cards you have played this turn.
Fight: KO one of your Heroes for each Hero you have with that cost.

Black Ant
4* Attack
2 VPs
Elusive 3
Fight: KO one of your Heroes.

Resurrected Hulk
9 Attack
6 VPs
Ambush: Each player gains a Wound.
Rampage: Demolish the current player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Added an Epic version of the Mastermind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Albertson
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
I really dig the work you did on this. Definitely appreciate you going the Hydra Avengers route, and the very beneficial fight effects is perfect for the story.

As someone who loved Secret Empire, this MM/villain combo looks like the perfect way to get in some Hydra smashing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the sets and did something similar making a Hydra Avengers and a High Council for my Stevil Mastermind. Just an idea but you could add Hulk as a substitute for the second Superior Octopus. He wasnt technically an official Avenger in the storyline but based on his role I thought he was close enough to include him.

Another idea that feel free to ignore is that i split my Avengers and Hydra Council into two groups of four Villains with two cards each. It gave me a little bit more variety in the Villain group combinations I could play.

Thanks for sharing. Keep up the great work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
overhaul wrote:
I like the sets and did something similar making a Hydra Avengers and a High Council for my Stevil Mastermind. Just an idea but you could add Hulk as a substitute for the second Superior Octopus. He wasnt technically an official Avenger in the storyline but based on his role I thought he was close enough to include him.

Another idea that feel free to ignore is that i split my Avengers and Hydra Council into two groups of four Villains with two cards each. It gave me a little bit more variety in the Villain group combinations I could play.

Thanks for the feedback.

I like the idea of including Resurrected Hulk. I’ve given him my custom Rampage keyword, which activates an effect each time the Villain moves from one city space into another.

I did consider doing the HYDRA High Council, but I wasn’t really getting any ideas for them. Their main role in the story seemed to be to give Steve someone to talk about his plans to. Can you K’un to yours I’d be interested to take a look?

Also, curious what did you call your Stevil Mastermind? Been working on cards in Legedit2 and can’t figure out how to change font sizes to fit “Captain America: HYDRA Supreme” in. I’ve changed it to Captain HYDRA, but I don’t love that.

Hoping to finish my first play-test of this soon. I’m using this set-up:

M: Captain HYDRA
S: Portals to the Dark Dimension
V: HYDRA Avengers, Capekillers
H: Dr Strange (custom), Kingpin, Spider-Woman (custom)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Albertson
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Steve Rogers, Hydra Supreme Leader

Maybe that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I had the same issues with naming Stevil. I ultimately just went with Hydra Supreme. If you made two separate Masterminds you could make it work. Use the longer name on the Mastermind card in the first set and in the second set use the shortened name for the Mastermind tactic. I didn't bother with it though. Here is my version:

My version preceded the Fing Fang Foom Mastermind but there are some similarities.

Here were my Mastermind Tactics:

As I indicated, I made up the Hydra Council and the Avengers. I split each one into a separate Villain group as it allowed me 4 Villain groups to mix-and-match. I took most of my inspiration from the Secret Empire series.

The Hydra Council I Villain Group is intended to be more of the brains/heart-&-soul of the council. Here is my Hydra Council I Villain Group:

There is one card for Madame Hydra and "Breaking Point". All the rest of the cards have two copies each. Madame Hydra ascends to Mastermind Status with escape which is consistent with the comics. I also prevented the Mastermind from being fought while she was in the city which those of you who have read the comics probably understand. "Breaking Point" originally was intended to be tongue-in-cheek and I was going to have it as an escape effect for Deadpool in the Hydra Avengers Villain Group. I shifted gears and tried to make it a little more poignant. For Doctor Faustus I have tried an alternate version as well. The original "Dominated" non-zero hero cards from each player's hands. However, I thought capturing the Shield Officers was a little more thematic to the storyline of the comics. Arnim Zola obviously reuses his "Abomination" keyword from the Captain America expansion.

The Hydra Council Villain Group II is meant to be more the "muscle" aspect of the Council. Here it is:

I don't think there is anything too groundbreaking here. I think Viper's card is pretty thematic with her character in the comics. I struggled to find satisfaction with my Hive card but I think the current version is decent.

For completeness sake here were my two Hydra Avengers Villain group and Henchmen cards.

The Hydra Avengers I Villain group is meant to be the more heroic arm of the group:

The Hydra Avengers II Villain group is meant to be the more morally questionable arm of the group:

With this group, Hulk is the powerhouse, but all the other Villains and Henchman can benefit from Superior Octopus's Ambush effect.

Here is my Hydra Henchman group:

I tried to make it consistent with Hydra's motto.

I realize I may be hijacking the thread. DFTG, just message me if you want me to take some of this down and I'll edit it.

Feel free to share any thoughts or feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
overhaul wrote:

I realize I may be hijacking the thread. DFTG, just message me if you want me to take some of this down and I'll edit it.

No worries, I like seeing different takes on the same comic material. Looks like we found many of the same images. Haven’t had chance to look through them properly yet, but I like a lot of what you did with the HYDRA high Council, eg giving Gorgon Circle of Kung-Fu seems very appropriate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dontfeedthegreen wrote:
overhaul wrote:

No worries, I like seeing different takes on the same comic material. Looks like we found many of the same images. Haven’t had chance to look through them properly yet, but I like a lot of what you did with the HYDRA high Council, eg giving Gorgon Circle of Kung-Fu seems very appropriate.

Thanks. The overall lack of good images does seem to result in a lot of us using the same material.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dontfeedthegreen wrote:
overhaul wrote:

Thanks for the feedback.

I like the idea of including Resurrected Hulk. I’ve given him my custom Rampage keyword, which activates an effect each time the Villain moves from one city space into another.

I did consider doing the HYDRA High Council, but I wasn’t really getting any ideas for them. Their main role in the story seemed to be to give Steve someone to talk about his plans to. Can you K’un to yours I’d be interested to take a look?

Also, curious what did you call your Stevil Mastermind? Been working on cards in Legedit2 and can’t figure out how to change font sizes to fit “Captain America: HYDRA Supreme” in. I’ve changed it to Captain HYDRA, but I don’t love that.

Hoping to finish my first play-test of this soon. I’m using this set-up:

M: Captain HYDRA
S: Portals to the Dark Dimension
V: HYDRA Avengers, Capekillers
H: Dr Strange (custom), Kingpin, Spider-Woman (custom)

Lost on turn 19 having got 2 hits on Stevil. More because I couldn’t get synergy going between the Heroes than because he was too tough. I drew HYDRA Crackdown as the first tactic, which didn’t help at the end of the game. I liked how he and the Villain group worked though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Albertson
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
I really appreciate the different approaches, and will be using ideas from both of you when I make my own sets. Great work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Albertson
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
I'm especially a fan of the high attack Stevil that is mitigated by playing different classes, as that's exactly the approach I was planning on taking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.