1 , 2  Next »   | 

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Rules

Subject: Males can't depart, only 1 female left rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey folks,

What happens if male can't depart, all my females got killed after a special showdown except one, and it's time to hunt.
Am I forced to go on a sure death with only remaining female survivor, basically calling this settlement quits yet again? (Yes, I'm absolutely and totally fed up with this nonsense).

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That could be an option. Survivors are actually snails and clown fishes and can change gender.

Now will that protect them from survival of the fittest poor rolls, I wonder...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really see much hope for a tribe that has only 1 member of either gender left, especially if it's SOTF.

If you want to continue, you could skip the hunt (go out and abort after the first event) and try to get to baby making until you have a full hunting party assembled, although be prepared to invest a lot of SOTF rerolls to avoid bad intimacy rolls.

By the time you are out of THAT hole, you've lost years of hunting opportunities and have to deal with the ticking clock.

Kind of a waste of time, just restart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamin_Jesus wrote:

I don't think I'll play the game for a while if I restart now. It's really getting on my nerves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
Flamin_Jesus wrote:

I don't think I'll play the game for a while if I restart now. It's really getting on my nerves.

*Shrug* Then do the hunt cancellation thing or cheat and switch some genders

I've certainly ignored a couple events here or there over the years when I felt that RNGod was taking the piss. KDM has an unfortunate capacity to pummel you with unavoidable shitty events at times, sometimes to the point of making it unwinnable no matter what you do (Although usually there are measures to prevent getting there, of course they rely on knowing the events well enough to prepare).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamin_Jesus wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:
Flamin_Jesus wrote:

*Shrug* Then do the hunt cancellation thing or cheat and switch some genders

I've certainly ignored a couple events here or there over the years when I felt that RNGod was taking the piss. KDM has an unfortunate capacity to pummel you with unavoidable shitty events at times, sometimes to the point of making it unwinnable no matter what you do (Although usually there are measures to prevent getting there, of course they rely on knowing the events well enough to prepare).

Well in this case it would have been not to resist King Man.
Er.

So am I the only one who sometimes feels like this game has been written by a twelve year old?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fen Batten
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Razoupaf wrote:
(Yes, I'm absolutely and totally fed up with this nonsense)

It's your game, KDM is intended to be a customisable experience, do something to get rid of the parts that are pissing you off the most. You don't have to be a member of the slavish Cult of Death by sticking rigidly to the rules.

Skip the hunt for the year, apply starvation (-1D5 resources) and then move on with the settlement. Rip any annoying settlement cards out of the deck while you're at it. The mechanics of the game are excellent, don't let something that can be altered enjoy your experience. You'll probably learn a lot more and be better equipped to deal with the random BS in later games.

Btw, aim to keep a 3 to 1 Female to Male ratio in the settlement going ahead, females are significantly more useful and valuable in KDM unless you are playing PotSun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I apparently missed the part in the rules that I have to send 2 of each gender on the hunt. I’ve been mixing and matching 4 survivors when I need to, and only worrying about gender for intimacy. I take it that’s wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pietro Pomella
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cornjob wrote:
I apparently missed the part in the rules that I have to send 2 of each gender on the hunt. I’ve been mixing and matching 4 survivors when I need to, and only worrying about gender for intimacy. I take it that’s wrong?

There are events and effects that can restrict specific survivors from departing for a year, such as
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Stranger in the Dark, which as one of the potential results forces you to send in an all-female party for the next hunt

To the OP, as others have suggested, if the random bullshit that can sometimes spiral out of control in this game is preventing you from enjoying the parts that you like about the game, you should definitely tweak your own experience to make sure you have fun! (Or take a break from the game, or both)

Especially before amassing a lot of experience, it's harder to mitigate said random bullshit in a reliable manner (and even very experienced players can fall prey to extreme bad luck), so once again if there are things about this game that you love, try and work around the stuff you hate!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks folks for supporting me through my frustration
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sum
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bet that lady could take a lion on by herself, I say send her out! Also, maybe you should promote her to savior since that is now what she is
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sumanye wrote:
I bet that lady could take a lion on by herself, I say send her out! Also, maybe you should promote her to savior since that is now what she is

I was planning on an Antelope but yeah, I'll take the hunt just to see if she can do that. Forgot her weapon's specialty, I think it's Twilight Sword since the Spear one died, the axe one can't depart and neither can the sword guy :/

Can I promote to savior with the RAW?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sum
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
sumanye wrote:

I was planning on an Antelope but yeah, I'll take the hunt just to see if she can do that. Forgot her weapon's specialty, I think it's Twilight Sword since the Spear one died, the axe one can't depart and neither can the sword guy :/

Can I promote to savior with the RAW?

If you write it in the book with a pencil, it’s RAW
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
merethif wrote:
...or go full pomo SJW
...Or go full take-your-political-slurs-elsewhere, thus allowing you to keep your misconceptions to yourself
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's how it went:

Nissa has the Prey disorder. I equip her with leather suit -1 so no bonus, a shield, her Twilight Sword, and a bone axe, and hunt an Antelope because well, she's insane.
Since she's insane she can use survival.
Hunt.
Get Feet (again???). She dies... Oh wait no she has SotF. But she loses all her insanity so no survival.
Start showdown. She fiddles around behind her shield. At one time she gets brain trauma leading to a disorder and 3 insanity. She can use survival again.
I'll let you guess which disorder I got.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Immortal. She can never use survival again.

Attacking, her axe gets eaten and banished.
Chasing the antelope around with the twilight sword which can't hit at all, I give up on this settlement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
So am I the only one who sometimes feels like this game has been written by a twelve year old?

It absolutely felt that way to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Glic2003 wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:

That's a bit harsh.

...But, I don't really like the "seemingly arbitrarily huge positive/negative swings" (esp. considering that, when they were written, there wasn't SOTF's re-roll mechanic, so it wasn't about those being important times to use it), and I've struggled for some time about whether I consider a gotcha moment to be a good use of rules/design space, for the push/pull between genuinely memorable moments (experience... which I may not agree with, but it certainly achieves something) vs. something you'll probably never do again (mechanics).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glic2003 wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:

I'm on board, if the 12 year old were a savant, and this were his first attempt at bending his mind upon something of this scale.

I bet his next game blows KDM out of the water (give us lots more choices next time, Poots! <3)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exo Desta wrote:
Glic2003 wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:

I'm on board, if the 12 year old were a savant, and this were his first attempt at bending his mind upon something of this scale.

I bet his next game blows KDM out of the water (give us lots more choices next time, Poots! <3)

Is it not supposed to be KD: Tyrant, and be a deckbuilding game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:

I honestly have no idea what this guy has up his sleeve.. maybe someone else will? (I've heard dungeon crawl, now deckbuilder..)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Honn
msg tools
spiralingcadaver wrote:
...But, I don't really like the "seemingly arbitrarily huge positive/negative swings" (esp. considering that, when they were written, there wasn't SOTF's re-roll mechanic, so it wasn't about those being important times to use it), and I've struggled for some time about whether I consider a gotcha moment to be a good use of rules/design space, for the push/pull between genuinely memorable moments (experience... which I may not agree with, but it certainly achieves something) vs. something you'll probably never do again (mechanics).

I agree. I think the main problem is that KD:M is at a good level on average, but as so much is fundamentaly random there will always be games where bad stuff just piles on you at a rate you simply can't handle.

So most of the time a random bad event just keeps things fresh as you are forced to adapt and reprioritize, but every now and then you can get one of those un-average games where the random events just break you down and there is nothing you can do about it.

SOTF makes that a lot better, but I think those extremes could do with a curtailing in the base rules. Make the monsters the main threats, not settlement/hunt events.

(That said, at least the art is made by a twelve year old. Only idealised big boobed women everywhere. I don't care that much, but I know some people who were put of from backing it on KS because of that.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: monsters as the main threat, yep, I'd certainly like it if the random things were a little less of an influence and the monsters were a bit more.

On the illustrations' subject matter and style... it's certainly got a bias, though I think it's one of the areas the expansions are a bit better. I'd have preferred that comic wasn't in the rulebook, as I feel it's one of the most problematic parts of the game's narrative, besides being a lot of space that could have been rules etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honn wrote:
spiralingcadaver wrote:

I agree. I think the main problem is that KD:M is at a good level on average, but as so much is fundamentaly random there will always be games where bad stuff just piles on you at a rate you simply can't handle.

So most of the time a random bad event just keeps things fresh as you are forced to adapt and reprioritize, but every now and then you can get one of those un-average games where the random events just break you down and there is nothing you can do about it.

SOTF makes that a lot better, but I think those extremes could do with a curtailing in the base rules. Make the monsters the main threats, not settlement/hunt events.

(That said, at least the art is made by a twelve year old. Only idealised big boobed women everywhere. I don't care that much, but I know some people who were put of from backing it on KS because of that.)

At least said women don't suffer from eating disorders and have more realistic rounded curves.
It could potentially make sense in a survival of the fittest approach, where only women that seem to be able to carry the best children, would be selected and survive, and generous bosom have been seen as a sign of fertility since the dawn of time.

Anyways.

The "bad guys" route seems much more relevant than the "good guys" one. Is it really so? I went further with Graves/Protect the Young/Collective Toil/Romantic than I have with Cannibalize/SotF and none other since I died before getting a third principle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Burchell
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exo Desta wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:

I honestly have no idea what this guy has up his sleeve.. maybe someone else will? (I've heard dungeon crawl, now deckbuilder..)

The new expansions (wave 3 and 4) have a dungeon crawl element that is separate/alternate from the main campaign, that might be what you're thinking of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
It could potentially make sense in a survival of the fittest approach
Sooo... You might want to consider mixing your darwinism with your society. There are a lot of messy, messy arguments that start coming up when you start suggesting best genes or best for the group on a macro level. And I'm pretty sure that you're generally not going to have time to get male or female figures like those in KD from running around supporting your stone-aged village...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.