The Colonists» Forums » Rules

Subject: Ticket Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lorne P
msg tools
mbmbmb
The tickets read:

"Each time you move a steward or special ambassador"...(pay a cost)..."to move the steward or special ambassador to a place of your choice."

Does this mean you could move your steward (the first requirement) and then pay the cost to move an ambassador (the second result)? This would allow you to move your steward to a spot with the labour ambassador, and then pay to move that ambassador away, avoiding giving other players free resources.

In my first game when I drew a ticket card, I was very disappointed - it seemed a very high cost card for very little benefit (you need to spend one movement point getting it, another movement point building it, plus the actions or forgone actions to pay the NINE resources for 3 benefits the entire game.) It was only after the above interpretation that it because situationally useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can do that but it costs you two of the three uses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin H.
Austria
Vienna
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well you would never play this card except with scholar+institue and only in the clay variant if you have the altruist on clay

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorne P
msg tools
mbmbmb
Why would it cost two of the three uses?

To be more clear, on the first of your three turns, you move your steward one space to a hex containing the labour ambassador, then pay the cost on the ticket to move the labour ambassador away, thus avoiding their effect.

Basically the card seems a little vague whether the pawn your are moving must be the pawn that moves farther, or whether it can be another pawn (an ambassador).

(Thanks for the help clearing this up, by the way.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Boardgamenight wrote:
Why would it cost two of the three uses?

To be more clear, on the first of your three turns, you move your steward one space to a hex containing the labour ambassador, then pay the cost on the ticket to move the labour ambassador away, thus avoiding their effect.

Basically the card seems a little vague whether the pawn your are moving must be the pawn that moves farther, or whether it can be another pawn (an ambassador).

(Thanks for the help clearing this up, by the way.)

I understood, you wanted to jump there and jump the ambassador away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorne P
msg tools
mbmbmb
I only wanted to jump the ambassador away. Since this can normally only be done after my 3rd move, I wanted to use the ticket to do it early, and my understanding is this would require a normal move (one hex to an adjacent hex - not a jump) of my steward, as well as the cost on the ticket.

The conflicting opinion is that the ticket can only be used to enhance the move of the pawn that initiates the ticket, meaning you could NOT move the labour ambassador until their legal move after a player's 3 moves.

The confusion comes from the fact that the ticket doesn't read "THAT ambassador" in the second instance, but rather just "ambassador".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I get it. You can only use the ticket on an ambassador when the ambassador would normally move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorne P
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification Grzegorz. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.

If there are ever any wording revisions, would it be useful to add "that" to the second instance of ambassador?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.