3 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Party questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
NoName NoLastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a handful of people that I wanna play the game with, but they'll come interchangeably, so we'll be anything between 2-4 players. I'm thinking of having one party, and let the players use whatever characters are available (which means they wont necessarily be personal). Mostly because I'd like to retire as many characters as possible, since that seems how the game progresses. I guess the primary cause for concern would be extra perks for retired characters. This could be addressed in various ways, for instance by dividing the number of retired characters by 4, which seems the most fair and fun. Apart that players may see spoilers or no personal attachment to characters, etc, are there any reasons not to do this?

One aspect I thought about is I'd like to have one "good" and one "evil" party (basically one which tries to increase reputation and one who wants to decrease it – I know GH is one dark place where everyone fights for themselves of course ); is the game balanced high/low rep? Do short-term gains of decreased reputation (i.e. story bonuses when making those choices) offset the long-term loss of increased item cost, etc? Is it better to explore the two extremes (to unlock characters, etc) in parallell, or is it better to do them in serial because low rep is simply harder?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Shen
msg tools
I got the impression that the extra perks for the retired characters is meant to let the new character get caught up with respect to checkmarks it missed before it joined the party.

If you assign the perks from retired characters to other folks, the new character may be starting out behind the rest of the party.

I'm not clear about your concern about players seeing spoilers. Can you elaborate on that?

As for personal attachment, if the folks come and go, it's doubtful they will have a personal attachment since they may be playing different characters for different scenarios. If each person is assigned a character and the parties are comprised of the characters of the people that are present, then the people can get attached to their character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My thought would be to designate 4 (or however many) "lineages" - each character is assigned to a lineage, and whenever a character retires, that lineage gains a bonus perk at character creation.

The main consideration would be how to make decisions for character progression - unlocking perks and gaining levels will have major lasting consequences for the character since they're (officially) irreversible, so if two players with different visions for the character and its role make those decisions, both of them are going to end up having a worse time than if they could co-ordinate. To a lesser extent, decisions on item purchases also carry through, but they can be undone with a bit of grinding for gold, and, if necessary, selling the item in question.

Anyway, the key thing here is to decide as a group how character progression should be handled - is it something that whoever's playing the character at the time just deals with themselves (possibly with input from other players); or is it something that gets left to that character's designated owner to deal with, though other players can play that character for a session; or is it any of a number of other possibilities?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.