Steven Blowers
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Hi All, firstly if this is the wrong place to post something like this, apologies, I am new to this forum.

I am designing a board game recommender (possibly and app or website) which uses the BGG XML API 2. I was hoping people could answer this question about a fictional scenario to help influence its design.

Imagine you are round your friend's house standing in front of their games collection, they have asked for your help to decide what game to bring to a meet up they are attending next week.

What 4 questions would you ask them to determine which game you would recommend?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1/ how many folks do you expect to be present?
2/ how much time do you have together?
3/ what level of gaming experience will those present have?
4/ what kind of games are those present generally into (wargames? party games? Euro games? Horror-themed games? Fantasy-themed games? RPGs? Etc)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Decru
Belgium
flag msg tools
1) Amount of players?
2) Maximum time they want to spend on one game?
3) Amount of prefered player interaction?
4) Any theme or type of game that would not catch on or would get vetoed out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Foster
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with some of these questions...

1) How many people will want to play?
2) How long will the meetup last?
3) Are there multiple areas for play or just one central location?
4) Are the attendees primarily casual gamers or more advanced?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy D
New Zealand
Invercargill
Southland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Players ages can also make a difference - we have a separate family/kids day meet up from the evening adult only one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There appears to be a bit of early consensus.
You may wish you convert this to a poll, listing all the options proffered and asking folks to vote on their top four.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Freerksen
United States
River Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RLFoster wrote:
Are the attendees primarily casual gamers or more advanced?

This question can be a tad misleading for a guy like me with a very small game group but has in the past bought and played far heavier games than most (and depending on the game all) casual gamers but tend to play games sparingly due to the fact I like specific themes, can only teach one or two people at a time, or just a lack of friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Blowers
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks to everyone who has responded so far, very much appreciated.

Will try and summarise where my thoughts are on this at the moment.

There’s definitely a consensus on number of attendees, but there’s an interesting point in Robert’s answer about multiple play areas. For example if 20+ people are attending it doesn’t necessarily mean you want to play a game that can support 20. Having a question that incorporates both could work quite well.

Another consensus is on the length of the meet up and another interesting point made by Thomas that you may not want to spend the entire meet up playing one game, especially if it is more than just an evening.

There also seems to be a recurring question around attendees experience with board games, but also the fact experience may not always translate to whether they want to play a more casual game vs. a more complex game. A player’s age could also be related to this kind of question around experience.

There’s also other questions around either a specific type of game or a specific theme that would either go down really well or be vetoed out.

In summary the four questions are:

1. Player count
2. Time
3. Experience
4. Type/Theme

Thanks again to everyone that has responded so far. If you largely agree with the consensus I have come to feel free to give this a thumbs up or thumbs up a response that you agree with.

If you have any other ideas about questions you would ask please feel free to post them, you don’t have to post all four questions you would ask if you don’t want to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.