BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Europe » Portugal

Subject: Boardgames pubs in Lisbon? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Giorgio Saracco
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing - G.B. Shaw
badge
No matter how you look at it, I'm the nicest in the world!
mbmb
As per thread title, are there any pubs that have a selection of boardgames you can play while there?

Many thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately not. Lisbon is not very advanced in board game culture in this way. There aren't even many stores that sell board games, let alone cafés/pubs where you can play. In fact, the best FLGS we have (gameplay.pt) is run out of a shed in someone's suburban backyard!

Fortunately, there is a great community here who create their own regular events to make up for the lack of commercial locations dedicated to board games. There is a weekly board game meetup every Wednesday night and a monthly meet-up over a Friday night and Saturday. Website with details (in ENG/POR) here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, there is one, at least: https://www.facebook.com/pow.wow.telheiras/
http://pow-wow.pt/

I think one or another might spring up occasionally, or have a boardgame evening/night, but I don't know if there are others currently happening.

Also, like jungle_boy said, there are many meetups in the Lisbon area, so you should easily be able to get some boardgaming happening if you're visiting.
There's even a boardgame meeting with Italian people and Italian learners every now and then, this was the last one just a few days ago: https://www.facebook.com/events/179005302700153/

Also, let me know when you'll be around, I'm currently not in Lisbon, but when I am, it would be fun to meet one of the Saracco brothers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giorgio Saracco
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing - G.B. Shaw
badge
No matter how you look at it, I'm the nicest in the world!
mbmb
Thanks very much to both of you.

We will definitely check the pow-wow place. The meetings might be trickier as they mostly seem to happen on weekdays.

In one of those websites I stumbled upon a convention named Lisboacon but the website it's not working. Is it still a thing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Goncalves
Portugal
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pow Wow is great and has lots of good games. Not just family or gateway ones. They even have the 1st edition of Vinhos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saraccog1 wrote:
Thanks very much to both of you.

We will definitely check the pow-wow place. The meetings might be trickier as they mostly seem to happen on weekdays.

In one of those websites I stumbled upon a convention named Lisboacon but the website it's not working. Is it still a thing?
I believe it's still a thing (it was on last year), but I don't think there's still a definite date for this year's edition. Last year it was in April.

Sadly, there currently aren't any official meetings every weekend (there used to be), but some of the people that go to the wednesday meetings and the monthly meetings often schedule games for the weekend amongst themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phelanpt wrote:

Oh, great, I didn't know about that. Thanks for the info.

saraccog1 wrote:
The meetings might be trickier as they mostly seem to happen on weekdays.

The weekly meeting is on Wednesdays but the monthly meeting is on a Friday night / Saturday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G M
Portugal
Lisbon (Italian Expat)
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey Giorgio!

First of all, Lisboacon is still a thing (small con, but very nice, with boardgames, rpgs and also LARP), but they use to announce the date of the event one month before of it.
Right now, the next big con will be Leiriacon, 1-4 March 2018.

For more info abount events, I'll suggest you to check the website of Abre O Jogo, there is a very nice and updated calendar with a lot of boardgame and roleplaying events: http://www.abreojogo.com/calendario

Beside that, you can also hit the game shops in Lisbon where people use to meet and play, such as Kult Games, TCG Empire (I used to go when it was called Spawn Point, it hosts the monthly RPG meeting and it should have a space to play board games), Gargula (once it was more focused on boardgames and RPGs, now it hosts a lot of videogame sessions, but they could still have tables for boardgaming),
Devir Arena and probably also at Homem Azul, but I've never been there.

There is also Jogo Na Mesa, an online store that organizes weekly and monthly events: http://jogonamesa.pt/P/evento_local.cgi?local_id=12

Last but not least, there is Ludotuga (I am one of the organizers) a biweekly boardgames meeting organized by an Italian association but open to everyone (Italian language is not mandatory, in fact we are also trying to use games as a way to exchange languages).
Next week we'll have another event, if you (and everyone else, of course) want to join (you can also bring your own games to play with others).

And of course, if you are interested to find other boardgamers to play outside the events, just let me know. I have several boardgames (and tabletop RPGs, right now I am mastering a campaign of Sine Requie Paese dei Balocchi) and I organize frequent sessions with my friends!
If you want to join, you'll be more than welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.