Subject: Kepler Class Ship Card (FFO) - Shenanigans rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Kepler
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Continuing my Firefly Online series of cards, I revisited my first attempt at the Kepler Class and present to you, Shenanigans.

My first attempt was considered atrocious and too busy. Hopefully, this version is closer to the mark.

The Kepler Class history is as follows:
"Timothy M. Earls is one of the original ship designers on the Firefly TV series. He designed the Kepler exclusively for Firefly Online. The Kepler is a high-performance premium ship made available as a special gift to players who registered early for Firefly Online."

"The Kepler is a Light Bulk Transport. It is equipped with a pair of VTOL engines which rotate to provide forward thrust, and a pair of auxiliary engines at the rear."

"This ship was used extensively as a survey scout during the terraforming of the Blue Sun system, and is one of the most most rugged and graceful ships to ever sail the Black. It’s design is so sought-after, that some saw conversion to civilian use and are now owned by a lucky few captains."

Considering that this ship had my name on it, it was clearly going to be my ship of choice in the FFO verse, but that was not to be. So I brought it to Firefly the Game instead. When you can't run, you crawl....You know the rest.

I'm not satisfied with the wording for the 'special rule' and maybe folks here can help me with that.

I'm also looking for suggestions for a name for the type of engines that should be listed on the Drive Core card. They are clearly unique and thus need a unique name. I am currently waiting to hear from certain parties (the creators) to see if they had any names in mind. It is not a gurstler, capissen, echelon, or a 'bug butt' engine thus the need to have a unique name and style. I'm open to any ideas, but for the record, the name "Gooley Gew Gew Flop model type 11.45" is officially OFF the table.

Enjoy and keep flyin'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Horton
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Powerful ability, almost too much.

What drive core will it use? Custom?

Do you have access to a mini for this ship? 3D print file?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
electronicdad wrote:

Perhaps adding a requirement for a PILOT and/or Fuel expenditure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jones
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
https://www.shapeways.com/product/NSRX9596W/kepler?optionId=...

NorseKnight has the Kepler mini. This was going to be my ship for FFO so instead it's going to be my main ship here by the name Wild Card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kepler
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
electronicdad wrote:

I went round and round about that. Considering that it only has four cargo and two stash, and four crew limit, it is already pretty weak. I needed something to give it a chance while chewing through all the Nav Cards it would have to go through to complete a job. One Reaver Cutter and it's pretty much toast. Other players can still cause an encounter, but at least the ship has a chance.

Requiring a PILOT is not a bad option.

The DRIVE CORE will be custom. I can't use a radion since it's not the 'bug butt' and I can't use a Gurstler since Bellastra it is a different company than Allied, and I clearly can't use a Capissen since they fall right out of the sky...so Custom it is.

Unfortunately and infuriatingly, the gag order is still on for the FFO folks. All the sweet and awesomely technical fan goodies are still under lock and key. They ALREADY have the name, stats, and type of engine, but can't share it because someone might lose a penny somewhere.

Short of some FFO smuggler aiming to misbehave with all that delicious data and sending me a secret wave, I have to make something up, and that sucks dirt. But anyway...

The ship will have a Speed of 7 and a Mosey of 2. I'll be combing the fan made goodies to see if I can find a similar engine so at least I can give it a proper name.

And others have a 3D print available as already mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JediKep wrote:
Considering that it only has four cargo and two stash, and four crew limit, it is already pretty weak.
Counterexample: the Interceptor. But of course that has the long range.

A point on wording: Evade is already an outcome that terminates a Fly action, so you don't need the Full Stop as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kepler
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Firedrake wrote:
JediKep wrote:
Considering that it only has four cargo and two stash, and four crew limit, it is already pretty weak.
Counterexample: the Interceptor. But of course that has the long range.

A point on wording: Evade is already an outcome that terminates a Fly action, so you don't need the Full Stop as well.

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jones
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
One thing I was thinking of with the small crew instead of having a shuttle add 2 quarters in the shuttle bay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Is the Fuel a Cargo Hold or Stash? Assuming it's Cargo Hold, I would put the price at 7500 (the price of the Interceptor) BEFORE we get to the special ability (this assumes that a) the Fuel = Cargo Hold, and b) the Drive Core is "locked" and cannot be replaced.

Before getting to the special ability, for the Drive Core name, how about a Borucki (named for the principal investigator on the Kepler space observatory).

Now, onto the special ability... Most of the special abilities from ships are (by my estimation) priced at 600, and are all pretty situational (and largely consistent with an Upgrade priced around 600).

* Walden's SALVAGE SCOW lets you count Piracy Jobs (which are usually rare) as Salvage Ops (which are only a benefit when you are properly equipped).

* The Interceptor's INTERLOPER let's you re-roll Boarding Tests (which are pretty rare)... and this applies only if your Tech isn't already at 5 or higher.

* Jetwash's EMERGENCY NAV ASSIST let's you spent a Part to count as Pilot, a fleeting but important benefit... assuming you don't already have a Pilot.

* Esmeralda's MOBILE REFUGE protects your Fugitives from seizure by the Alliance... assuming you're carrying Fugitives and encounter the Alliance.

All of these are VERY conditional bonuses. Under the right circumstances, they can be great, but the right circumstances may not come up all that often.

Now, by comparison, SURVEY SCOUT is something that's going to be useful pretty much every time you fly. Even if the final card is a Big Black, why not ignore it and increase your Range +1? Alternately, you can virtually circumvent all NPC ships, which is a HUGE benefit.

Even if you add a requirement of needing to spend a Fuel each time, I think it's still too powerful.

If it's a Survey Ship, how about if, once per Fly Action, you can draw 2 Nav Cards and select one to resolve? I think that's a bit closer to the power level of the other abilities (it's conditional in that you can still draw two bad cards, or still draw another terrible card later), and may also be a bit closer thematically to a Survey Scout.

I think that could be priced at 600, which would make the overall price of the ship 8100, slightly north of the standard Fireflies, and south of the Artful Dodger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about something along the lines of "+1 to your Range when you begin a Fly Action in Rim Space."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kepler
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
Is the Fuel a Cargo Hold or Stash? Assuming it's Cargo Hold, I would put the price at 7500 (the price of the Interceptor) BEFORE we get to the special ability (this assumes that a) the Fuel = Cargo Hold, and b) the Drive Core is "locked" and cannot be replaced.

A. Fuel = Cargo Hold
B. Drive Core is locked and exclusive to Kepler

gwek wrote:
Before getting to the special ability, for the Drive Core name, how about a Borucki (named for the principal investigator on the Kepler space observatory).

I like it!

gwek wrote:
Now, onto the special ability... Most of the special abilities from ships are (by my estimation) priced at 600, and are all pretty situational (and largely consistent with an Upgrade priced around 600).

* Walden's SALVAGE SCOW lets you count Piracy Jobs (which are usually rare) as Salvage Ops (which are only a benefit when you are properly equipped).

* The Interceptor's INTERLOPER let's you re-roll Boarding Tests (which are pretty rare)... and this applies only if your Tech isn't already at 5 or higher.

* Jetwash's EMERGENCY NAV ASSIST let's you spent a Part to count as Pilot, a fleeting but important benefit... assuming you don't already have a Pilot.

* Esmeralda's MOBILE REFUGE protects your Fugitives from seizure by the Alliance... assuming you're carrying Fugitives and encounter the Alliance.

All of these are VERY conditional bonuses. Under the right circumstances, they can be great, but the right circumstances may not come up all that often.

Now, by comparison, SURVEY SCOUT is something that's going to be useful pretty much every time you fly. Even if the final card is a Big Black, why not ignore it and increase your Range +1? Alternately, you can virtually circumvent all NPC ships, which is a HUGE benefit.

And this is why I bring this to the general population. My mind doesn't work this way. If I were playing, I would never take advantage of the rule and moved through the space I just had to evade from simply because it doesn't work that way. I would have moved left or right. Alas, I'm just "too good" to be a smuggler in real life. GOT to work on that mean streak.

gwek wrote:
Even if you add a requirement of needing to spend a Fuel each time, I think it's still too powerful.

Taking into account your scenario, I must agree.

gwek wrote:
If it's a Survey Ship, how about if, once per Fly Action, you can draw 2 Nav Cards and select one to resolve? I think that's a bit closer to the power level of the other abilities (it's conditional in that you can still draw two bad cards, or still draw another terrible card later), and may also be a bit closer thematically to a Survey Scout.

Still gets the job done. More suspenseful, more choice, more random. Looks like a win.

I'm going to keep a PILOT requirement on it just because it seems right.

gwek wrote:
I think that could be priced at 600, which would make the overall price of the ship 8100, slightly north of the standard Fireflies, and south of the Artful Dodger.

I can work with that. ...and...I really need to get a hold of this new ship calc chart.

Scarbuck wrote:
What about something along the lines of "+1 to your Range when you begin a Fly Action in Rim Space."

I considered something similar, but I already have something like that on the Fenris (speedy delivery) and wanted something unique to the Kepler.

Jonesy64 wrote:
One thing I was thinking of with the small crew instead of having a shuttle add 2 quarters in the shuttle bay.

Somebody is thinking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kepler
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Version 2, complete!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like a nice little ship.

On the ability, I don't know if it might be necessary to mention what to do with the other Nav card, IE "...discard the other." We all know what seems logical, but there may be a precedent for how such things are worded. Perfectly playable as is though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.