Popular Tags: [View All]
Thilo M.
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fellow geeks,

It has been almost 24 hours since the first boxes have been delivered. How about some first impressions for the unfortunate 99.9% still waiting? Sessions reports anyone? 5 geek gold for the first to post something about gameplay!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandKhan44 wrote:
Fellow geeks,

It has been almost 24 hours since the first boxes have been delivered. How about some first impressions for the unfortunate 99.9% still waiting? Sessions reports anyone? 5 geek gold for the first to post something about gameplay!

Gameplay looks cool.

There was little specification as to what needed to be posted
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thilo M.
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SaintHax wrote:
GrandKhan44 wrote:
Fellow geeks,

Gameplay looks cool.

OK I deserved that have your Gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shu
United States
Portsmouth
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I guess everyone's too busy playing to give the masses some feedback! cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spiers 101
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Had first game last night, first impressions:
1) love the horde mechanic, building up the horde off table and then having them burst on the table was cool, however I had them arriving a little too often to build up a huge amount needed to shuffle the deck more.
2) First hedge I burst through, rolled 1 and straight into an orc walker!
3) Felt a bit tougher than Black Plague with the horde mechanic
4) Didn't get to use the trebuchet but it looks cool on the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandKhan44 wrote:

OK I deserved that have your Gold. [/q]

I gave half to the person above that actually posted something useful :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SaintHax wrote:
GrandKhan44 wrote:

OK I deserved that have your Gold.

I gave half to the person above that actually posted something useful :-)[/q]

I don't know... I consider giving me a good laugh also useful...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First impressions:

Hedges are funky: no LOS through them so what zombies can leave you alone if you're right behind one but there's more sound elsewhere.
Water is a nice touch.
Orcs are over-powered, fatties can end the game in one hit.
Trebuchet is over-powered, and swings the game back to the heroes again.
Orc Sorcerors are only worth 1XP now - think previous Sorcerors were worth 5XP?
Tiles are greener and interesting looking.
Horde mode is fun - and builds tension as they grow next to the map - as long as you're prepared when they arrive. Luckily one of the new survivors has the game-changing Shove skill, so you can keep them at bay.
Other than that, it's pretty much Black Plague again, but more tricky, so a lot of fun if you liked Z:BP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
First impressions:

Hedges are funky: no LOS through them so what zombies can leave you alone if you're right behind one but there's more sound elsewhere.
Water is a nice touch.
Horde mode is fun - and builds tension as they grow next to the map - as long as you're prepared when they arrive. Luckily one of the new survivors has the game-changing Shove skill, so you can keep them at bay.
Other than that, it's pretty much Black Plague again, but more tricky, so a lot of fun if you liked Z:BP.

I think it was just abominations that were 5XP. Necromancers were only 1 I believe.

Is there more/better armour to make up for the harder hitting zombies? presumably you only get 1 attempt to save a single 2-damage hit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mightyjim wrote:
I think it was just abominations that were 5XP. Necromancers were only 1 I believe.

Is there more/better armour to make up for the harder hitting zombies? presumably you only get 1 attempt to save a single 2-damage hit?

Still only one roll, and the armour seems the same. Although the new starting bow Spiked Bow is pretty cool - you can make melee attacks with it. There's also a Norse Sword starting item that combos with a Norse Shield from the treasure deck (which we haven't seen yet). And that starting spell can blast doors open too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thilo M.
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
First impressions:

Water is a nice touch.
a

Thanks for posting! It sounds like it can be rather swingy, are there enough options to mitigate bad luck?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sounds like you'd deal with bad luck the same as in Black Plague... Expect bad luck.

"Last action? Probably shouldn't open that door."

I felt that hedges might make the game "funky". No LoS and don't restrict movement. Seems like the perfect conditions for all kinds of splits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandKhan44 wrote:
ninjadorg wrote:
First impressions:

Water is a nice touch.
a

Thanks for posting! It sounds like it can be rather swingy, are there enough options to mitigate bad luck?

Not really, this is Zombicide after all. Maybe the Shove skill? Though the Trebuchet can also swing things back in your favour if you can reach it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignazio Corrao
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Green Horde feels more strategic than its predecessor.

Because of the hedges, barriers, and water ledges, the zombies movement is now not as straightforward as in Black Plague, so there are more elements to consider.
Plus, because of the hedges, zombies will split more often, so noise management is crucial.

Also, orcs are more dangerous, so the game is obviously not as forgiving as before, and each survivor's turn should be carefully planned. One single mistake can easily end the game. For example in the tutorial game, all heroes must survive, and a lone orc fatty can kill a hero with just one hit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chromit90 wrote:

One single mistake can easily end the game. For example in the tutorial game, all heroes must survive, and a lone orc fatty can kill a hero with just one hit.

we lost to this - the survivor ended his turn in a space next to a single fatty, then drew the double-activation card for Fatties.

(We played it, out just to get a better sense of the new mechanics, but technically a loss, due to Johannes being dead).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Klein
Germany
flag msg tools
Thanx 4 the assesment.
BP was 2 basic 4 my liking & really hoped GH will be a big improvement with many more tactical elements & interaction.

1 more thang: Johannes & Megans starting-skills are new ones.
Can anyone tell me how they did play out ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignazio Corrao
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
EasyLover wrote:
Johannes & Megans starting-skills are new ones.

We did not draw a single enchantment in the entire tutorial game, so we could not try Megan's ability. I think Double Casting may not be that useful at blue level, as it will require quite a few search actions.

As for Johannes' skill, it is also situational. It essentially grants you an extra search action per turn (if you sacrifice an item). In our first game it was not that useful, because we found valuable items, which we didn't want to lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thilo M.
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EasyLover wrote:
Thanx 4 the assesment.
BP was 2 basic 4 my liking & really hoped GH will be a big improvement with many more tactical elements & interaction.

I played with Megan but I only got a single enchantment that granted attacks through walls which was not used at all in the tutorial...

But due to being overwhelmed in the beginning I had almost no time to search.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We drew a healing, which we gave to Megan - felt like it could be really powerful.

Then someone got 1-shotted by a Fatty...

I still think healing will be a bigger thing, with Walkers doing 2 damage instead of 1, but overall Double Casting feels VERY situational.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Lawrence
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Two questions.
Shoot, is that right? You don't save/split the damage?
If two survivors are with a fatty and have no armor, one of them dies? Can't do 2 and 1?
Messed that up...

Second, the starting spell for opening doors. The character was on a street and wanted to open a door on the left side of the street from 2 spaces away (whatever Max range is) and the street kept going.

Can you do that? Or do you have to be head on to the door in question? I think it's the former though the latter makes more sense to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Brennan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Eternally
badge
Deluded
mbmbmbmbmb
Sundown865 wrote:
Two questions.
If two survivors are with a fatty and have no armor, one of them dies? Can't do 2 and 1?
Messed that up...

Second, the starting spell for opening doors. The character was on a street and wanted to open a door on the left side of the street from 2 spaces away (whatever Max range is) and the street kept going.

Can you do that? Or do you have to be head on to the door in question? I think it's the former though the latter makes more sense to me.

Correct, no damage splitting. To resolve an attack you first designate a target, then resolve any armour or abilities that may apply, then take damage as appropriate. You can split attacks (so have some zombies hit one character while the rest hit a different one) but not damage.

Regarding Telekinetic Blast, it has a range of 0-1, meaning you can open a door either on your current space or one space away. It doesn't matter where the door is placed in that space, so long as you have clear LOS to chat space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur
msg tools
lbrennan85 wrote:
Sundown865 wrote:
Two questions.
Messed that up...

Correct, no damage splitting. To resolve an attack you first designate a target, then resolve any armour or abilities that may apply, then take damage as appropriate. You can split attacks (so have some zombies hit one character while the rest hit a different one) but not damage.

With this in mind, make note that if you're hit by Runners with both activations, you can choose different targets per activation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EasyLover wrote:

Megan can be a pretty good support with enchantments. If you're lucky enough to get several enchantments, Spellbook becomes very useful with Double Casting. Speed negates water areas. Ghost sight helps is great for ranges attacks. And double casting healing is always useful.

Johannes Transmutation is a nice little perk. I found I was only using it when searching or had an extra action left over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.