Popular Tags: [View All]
Enrico Magnani
Italy
Cesenatico
Forlì-Cesena
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

Amongst many games I still have to learn and play, I have three that seems quite difficult to learn and I would need to dedicate some time to them.

These games are: D-Day at Omaha Beach, Fields of Fire and Ambush!

I could use your experience in these games to decide in what order I should delve into them

Right now I feel I should start with the easier\quickest, but I'm not sure wich is amongst the 3: definetly not Fields of Fire

I was thinking:

1. Ambush!
2. D-Day at Omaha Beach
3. Fields of Fire

What do you think? I'm open to suggestions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
two ways of looking at it:

1. Take a quick look at a few pages of the rule books. Then learn the rules to the game that seems the easiest to learn for you.

OR

2. Choose the one with the subject matter or scale that interests you the most. It is more motivating and easier to learn a game about something that interests you.

P.S. I bought D-Day at Omaha Beach yesterday...so I will be learning that soon after I have played Comanchería: The Rise and Fall of the Comanche Empire a bunch of times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola S
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Enrico,

My personal advice would be as follows:

1) D-Day at Omaha Beach. The rulebook is already pretty good, but if you download the ‘Flipbook’ from the file section here on BGG, everything will flow even smoother. Also, you can start with the introductory scenario that covers only half of the map.

2) Tackle Ambush next. This is old school, solid AH/VG manual, so you should only need the time to read it. The game is pretty amazing in what it accomplishes with the structured paragraph and all, but the part that will require the most learning time will be the initiative mechanic. Fortunately, if you play the scenarios in order, you will have an increase in complexity that will feel like a walktrhough.

3) Reserve FoF for last. The game is not ‘complex’ per se, but two things will put you off-guard at first:
a) it uses a lot of novel mechanics and concepts (and the rulebook, at least for the first edition, was not a marvel of clearness when it came to illustrate those) and it will take you a while to get adjusted to them, especially if you are a more ‘traditional’ wargamer
b) you will feel at a loss on what to do / how to use your forces because one of the great strengths of the design is that it gives you a sort of ‘sandbox’ for you to play but the rules themselves do not tell you how to succeed in your game. It is difficult to explain, but it is one of the few games where I felt that if I had had some sort of military training it would have helped me make the right decisions in the game (or at least minimize the casualties).

Buona fortuna with your endevor, you sure picked some of the best solitaire designs around and two of them are really among my favorites.

HTH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Magnani
Italy
Cesenatico
Forlì-Cesena
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you guys for answering!

Since all these games are appealing to me, I'll start with the introductory scenario of D-Day at Omaha Beach.

I have already downloaded the flip book: I'll read the rules first and then use it to play along 😀
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.