Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Variants

Subject: Death Master Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Taymour Bouran
Jordan
flag msg tools
Hello all,

While I am waiting for my Kingdom Death Monster to arrive, I have been trying to recruit people to play it. Believe it or not, people have not heard about it here!

I am now looking at 4 people who might be willing to play. However, this will leave me out! Although I will end up inviting only three (maybe two) I was thinking maybe someone can be the narrator and controlling the monster; similar to a Dungeon Master. Instead, Death Master.

From what I have read online, some have said it was fun but it made it harder for the survivors. Whether they were looking through the deck for an AI card or normally drawing it from the top, it apparently made it harder.

I would just like to know your thoughts on the matter and whether anyone has tried out something different.

I was thinking of the DM drawing 4-5 cards at the start of the showdown (maybe depending on difficulty), and always replenishing the hand at start of the next monster's turn. If for example it says to draw another AI, the DM will instead use another from the hand.

Of course I am aware of a section about this dedicated in the rulebook, which I have not seen yet, but I'd still like to hear your thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are mechanisms in the game that enable the players to manipulate / view the AI deck, which can be very useful in some of the encounters.

I think you'd be best off playing the game co-op for your first couple of games, to get a real feel of how KDM works. Then see if your variant would work for your group - but there is so much surprise and brutal discovery in the game, I wouldn't recommend adding significant variants before playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a game variant on the rulebook with a DM. Check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.