4 Posts

Dragonfire» Forums » General

Subject: Slaadi Plague, 6-Players?!?!?!? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
B S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've gotten up to level four solo with a 6-player party. Generally my win rate is pretty high, but now the slaadi plague looks impossible. Here's my maths, I'd love if someone could tell me if I'm doing something wrong.

Scene 1: 6 encounters combined from decks 1 and 2 + 5 encounters from the slaadi deck + 1 extra encounter for having 6 players = 12 encounters

Scene 2: 7 encounters combined from decks 1 and 2 + 10 or 11 encounters from the above new slaadi deck (since the locations at least go away) + 1 extra encounter for having 6 players = about 18 encounters

Scene 3: 8 encounters combined from decks 1 and 2 + 16 or 17 encounters from the above new slaadi deck (since the locations at least go away) + 1 extra encounter for having 6 players = about 25 encounters

All told this is 55 encounters. I understand you are drawing a lot of extra cards over the course of this, but still 55!?!? This basically means each of your characters needs to be taking out 2 monsters in scene 1, 3 in scene 2, and 4 each in scene 3. The only way I can imagine this being doable is with a heavy dose of luck and waiting till you have 95xp so that you are still level 4 but have as many features as possible. It's a great game, but this adventure in particular makes me doubtful that 6-player was play tested extensively.

Quick Update: Got to the third scene for the second time. I am looking at 28 encounters in this scenario, 16 of which came out at the start of the scenario. The kicker is my first dragonfire card drawn to start scene 3 is... Dark Arts, for a total of 50 damage staring me down at the moment. I'll be shocked if all my characters aren't exhausted after one round. Honestly it feels kinda epic, rather than frustrating. SPARTA!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Money flows freely in this adventure.
Cards are drawn much faster because of the salad bar.

And... scene ends if the board is clear, even if there's encounters in the Slaadi deck. That can short circuit the hoarde.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Money flows freely in this adventure.
Cards are drawn much faster because of the salad bar.

And... scene ends if the board is clear, even if there's encounters in the Slaadi deck. That can short circuit the hoarde.

Fully agree to all of this, but after 3 playthroughs (and my characters are all at 80 xp for the last one) I think it's impossible 6-player. Part of the issue is that you literally buy every card in the market deck and then there is nothing to do with the excess gold (I think my characters had close to 40 extra when they died the last time). I realize almost no one else is playing 6-characters, but I would love to hear their experiences on this if they are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Baxter

California
msg tools
mbmb
Is buying every card in the market deck the right approach?

I haven't played this particular adventure yet, but it feels like that may water-down your chances of pulling the most useful cards at some point. I mean yes, you do want to get enough cards in there to reduce the frequency of the starters, but it feels like you could probably ignore a lot of the cards in the market that are just going to water down your deck.

I'd focus on things that either assist, stop damage, heal, or do multiple damage alongside a useful effect.

It feels like there are a lot of cards in the market deck that just don't suit a protracted campaign. e.g Opportunity is probably a waste of cash, and with that level of target saturation, feint might not be useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.