Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Rising Sun» Forums » Rules

Subject: Nuances of the terms Place, Summon, and Recruit (CMON FAQ link added) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc S
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like CMON released their FAQ which includes both Place and Summon.
http://resources.cmon.com/Rising_Sun_FAQ_1-0.pdf

TLDR: When we started playing, we had a few questions about the nuanced wording on some of the season cards. Here's how we defined these terms:

Place - take a figure from your reserve and put them on the board.

Summon - the time (during the Recruit Mandate only?) when you are placing figures on the board.

Recruit - the mandate action in its entirety, the end of which is after all players have completing their summoning by placing figures on the board.

Anything that we're missing?

Long, drawn out examples of how we came to these interpretations:
We first questioned what it meant to place a figure when we tried to use:

Path of the Light (Spring, Archway set) - Shinto Upgrade - At the end of a Recruit Mandate, you may place an extra Shinto on a Shrine.

We weren't sure if it meant that the player could move a Shinto from a province to a Shrine or if the Shinto could come from the reserve. We decided it should come from the reserve, which led to our interpretation of:

Place - take a figure from your reserve and put them on the board.

We then encountered:
Path of the Kenin (Spring, Archway set) - Bushi Upgrade - After you Summon, you may place an extra Bushi in any of your Strongholds.

and later:
Path of the Samurai (Summer, Archway set) - Bushi Upgrade - At the end of a Recruit Mandate, you may place an extra Bushi in any Province.

Our rationalization for the difference in wording was that the Path of the Kenin triggers during your summoning without any knowledge of where players who come later in turn order will be placing figures while the Path of the Samurai is at the end of the Recruit Mandate, giving the advantage of knowing where all players placed their figures.

Which led to our interpretation of:

Summon - the time (during the Recruit Mandate only?) when you are placing figures on the board.

Recruit - the mandate action in its entirety, the end of which is after all players have completing their summoning by placing figures on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Nuances of Place, Summon, and Recruit
I had an issue with the oni of plagues last night.
"Players with more honor than you cannot move figures into this province"

I wanted to summon into a province of an opposing player who had this model.

We decided I could not summon.

Edit: We encountered, and we agree with your interpretations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Michels
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bigblock75 wrote:

I would say moving is different than summoning and that this Oni only blocks movement during a marshal action and not summoning/placing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
@Rick Moving and Summoning are very different. This has been discussed in a couple other threads already.

-----

Word "Place" instead of "Summon" is to avoid infinite trigger scenarios.

All you need to know is Summon occurs from Recruit or Train a Monster.

And the Ship season card "Way of the Ashigaru" - At Start of War Phase: Choose a Province where you have exactly 1 figure and Summon 2 Bushi there.

-----

Regarding "At end of a Recruit Mandate" is harder to decipher. Will assume they didn't do this because of bad editing, and that it does imply you get to go last. Seeing that the cards with this wording are rarer it must be a buff.

-----

Regarding "Jinmenju" - During a Recruit Mandate, you may Summon a figure in this Province and lose Honor.
Well this wording is awkward. Considering last is always best, then during must specifically mean during your own turn. But you know what they are trying to achieve: Treat it like another Stronghold. Because of that assume it doesn't trigger summon cards an additional time, but would be nice to have an official answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stormzbowler wrote:
bigblock75 wrote:

I would say moving is different than summoning and that this Oni only blocks movement during a marshal action and not summoning/placing.

This was my argument, but I was losing and this action wasn't going to matter in the long run so I didn't place the model "to keep the peace".

Later I found the oni's flavor text on the leaflet.
"Oni of plagues: this fearsome on I can make it's province Unreachable to your opponents. Any player with higher honor than you cannot move, by any means, any other figures into the province occupied by the oni of plagues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Badger
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Re: Nuances of the terms Place, Summon, and Recruit
I think you should add Move to this list. It's always capitalized in the rules, so I think it's strictly defined as the action that takes place during the Recruit Mandate, Fujin shrine effect, and certain monster abilities (Earth Dragon, etc.).

Likewise Worship should be considered as well, since it removes a figure from the Map/Province but it is not actually a Move.

Therefore when rule text says that a figure may not Move "by any means", or "under any circumstances" (Oni of Plagues, Susanoo unbound, etc.), they only disallow Move, as opposed to Summon, place, Worship, etc., which would all still be valid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.