Günther
Germany
Blieskastel
Saarland
flag msg tools
FFFFFF
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All of the following is only valid if I got the rules right, which I'm not totally sure of.
Also, I'm looking forward to read what other players think about my strategies (or are they tactics?).

Concerning Quests
Quests are usually not too rewarding when compared to Encounters. So, don't quest for the rewards, mostly quest to get rid of the card if the Scheme Effect is bad or to make the captains move to different locations.
Normally, that depends on the quest location and the placement of objective tokens and structures. There's a good chance (even a better chance if you place your structures accordingly) that you have one or two location types, where enemy captains don't ever end up in - because they're heading to higher priority targets that are near.
So - quest until a quest card comes up with such a location type. Then stop questing. You will be safe concerning scheme effects from now on.

EDIT: I was wrong here, captains will always move to the quest location. So it may be wise to change it often to keep the captains on the move.

Concerning Objectives
Fulfilling objectives is not always improving your situation. When there's only one objective token of a specific type left and you can keep its area free of minion, the corresponding conquest track won't be increased when the respective enemy action card comes up. As soon as you fulfill the objective by taking that last token away, the conquest track will always be increased by one when the action comes up.
As a consequence, don't fulfill one objective early, fulfill all objectives evenly, so that you have only one last token for each objective on the board before you start to finish the first one.

EDIT: When I wrote this I forgot that when the objective is fulfilled, you can discard resources to avoid a Muster. When the objective is still in play that is not an option. So - if you're overrun with minions and have enough resources, you should indeed get rid of those objectives. But in most cases, you will rather want to not increase the conquest tracks and muster a minion instead...

Concerning Enemy Movement
You have quite some influence on where the enemys move. If they don't naturally gather at the objective tokens, you can try to make them gather. Firstly, very often there are several areas with the same priority, so you are allowed to choose where to move them. Secondly, you can influence their movement by placing structures.
The goal is to not have them evenly distributed over the map, especially not around Farrenroc. Have them in one or two areas, so you can go there and defeat several with one action. You can also keep captains from entering quest locations (see above). Especially the Soldier highly profits from enemy accumulation - he can even defeat minions and captains with the same action, as he can do additional damage after a battle.

Concerning the Acolyte
With the Acolyte, it's a good strategy to not spend all your Prayers on dice rolls, but to always have two Prayer in reserve to re-roll darkness results. In combination with the re-roll abilities on the Acolyte's action cards, you will almost never have darkness in the fate pool. That will greatly diminish the impact of enemy action cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally agree with your points. I don't have the rules in front of me, but I thought captains would always move toward the current question location on a scheme card.

The only point I'd add is that if you ever see a quest that allows you search a deck to gain an item or ally, TAKE it! They are definitely worth the effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Renwick
Australia
Avalon
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
So far I’ve been doing quite a few quests because I’ve liked the rewards. Killing, wounding or moving captains is pretty useful because you can do it from anywhere in the board.

Likewise, as Paul said, other quests let you search the entire Village, Ruins or Dungeon decks and take whatever an ally or an asset you like.

That said, if there’s no strong reason to do a quest, I’ll probably do an encounter instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maj n. jeb
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the game twice and this is what I've done:

Quests: Attempted the quest twice in my first game and failed twice. Didn't attempt it in the second game at all. My rolling sucks and the quests have been 7's for the skill test, so I just do an encounter instead. Figure I'd have better luck there.

Objective: Both games I played, the Final Objective was revealed. I like going after them in hopes to have 2 win conditions during the siege. However, in the second game, 2 of the same color objective token were taken (2p game) and I was wondering if it's better to clear out an entire objective color, or take them one at a time from the different colors before completing it completely.

Enemy Movement: My goal was to drop structures as fast as I could and keep them in play. This kept minions out of Farrenroc and we were able to start the siege with Farrenroc at 10 HP. My first game sucked because the first morning action card was an Orc March, do 6 minions went into Farrenroc before I could do anything.

Acolyte: Haven't played as the Acolyte. I've used the warrior, rogue, swordsman, and my friend used the archer. Forgive my lack of knowing their actual names...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mb
majinjeb wrote:
My first game sucked because the first morning action card was an Orc March, do 6 minions went into Farrenroc before I could do anything.

Haha. Yeah nothing more encouraging than losing a stability in the first card reveal of a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Günther
Germany
Blieskastel
Saarland
flag msg tools
FFFFFF
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zouave wrote:
I don't have the rules in front of me, but I thought captains would always move toward the current question location on a scheme card.

You're right (I think). I got confused by the rulebook talking about "Enemy Movement" when in fact what it means is "Minion Movement".
It seems that captains always move in the same way as they do when a Scheme card is revealed. (Even if some other card effect tells you to move captains.The rulebook section about "Enemy Movement" seems not to be relevant for capatains at all.)
So, you can't really do much to direct captains in a specific direction, besides choosing the active Quest card wisely.

Thank you all for your comments!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Steensland
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Captains don't care for structures, but they prefer Farrenroc to the quest location, so as soon as they are in the inner ring (which often happens quickly), they will always go to Farrenroc. The only option then is to kill them off, to get them to respawn in the outskirts.

Page 5 of rule book:
Each captain not in a quest area moves 1 area toward the nearest quest area or Farrenroc, whichever is closer. If there is a tie, the captain moves toward Farrenroc. If a captain is in Farrenroc, it does not move.

Captains make assaults nasty, so I'm not sure whether you want to try to get the captains to stay at quest locations instead. At least that keeps stability up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.