Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When a character gains the amount of experience listed on the table to the right, they must level up. Leveling up only occurs in town.

how are we supposed to read that, do we have to go to town asap between adventures or is it a must once you go to town?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Mountford
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a must once you go to town. So if one character in the party has leveled up and two more are really close, you can absolutely do another scenario or two before heading to Gloomhaven, so all of you can level up together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel King
United States
Franklin
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nelag_macdahmer wrote:
is it a must once you go to town?

Yep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
most players seem to interpret it is:
if you are in Gloomhaven town and have the XP to gain a level, then you have to level up

Thus you have the option to delay that from happening by just not returning to town for a while. (though that means you can't buy new equipment or donate to the sanctuary).

But I suppose you could choose to interpret it as once a character finishes a scenario with enough XP to level up, the party MUST return to Gloomhaven. But that takes away some of the flexibility, especially in terms of linked scenarios.

Play it whichever way you find most enjoyable, it isn't going to break the game one way or the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cheers guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
If a character currently fulfills the conditions of his or her personal quest and is visiting Gloomhaven, the character must announce retirement.

You can visit the Sanctuary, do city events, enhance cards, or visit the shops, but you cannot go on additional scenarios:

Quote:
The character may perform any other town activities beforehand, but he or she cannot play any new scenarios using a character with a fulfilled personal quest. The character has accomplished his or her dreams and has no more motivation to go exploring monster-filled ruins.

In other words, you must to to town and you can't do anything outside the town.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
No one mentioned retirement, only leveling up. But, since you brought it up, you can only announce retirement in the city of Gloomhaven, so you can also postpone it by not returning to the city in the same manner as you can postpone leveling up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Joou wrote:
No one mentioned retirement, only leveling up. But, since you brought it up, you can only announce retirement in the city of Gloomhaven, so you can also postpone it by not returning to the city in the same manner as you can postpone leveling up.

Ah! You're right! Retirement was just on the mind and I totally misread it.

That said: I don't know that I'd agree with you Fito. I think even if you haven't announced retirement you still have completed your requirements and thus can't go on additional scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin S.
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Satire wrote:
Joou wrote:

Ah! You're right! Retirement was just on the mind and I totally misread it.

That said: I don't know that I'd agree with you Fito. I think even if you haven't announced retirement you still have completed your requirements and thus can't go on additional scenarios.

Your own quote contradicts that.

[q="Satire"]
Quote:
If a character currently fulfills the conditions of his or her personal quest and is visiting Gloomhaven, the character must announce retirement.

You retire while in Gloomhaven, and you aren't required to go to Gloomhaven so it is possible to delay retirement. However, since all character advancement is done in Gloomhaven, it's not something most people would want to delay for long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I still think there is a difference between "fulfilling a personal quest" and retiring.

You "fulfill your personal quest" by accomplishing what is on your PQ card, which doesn't mention retiring at all.
And then retirement is a mandatory effect of fulfilling your personal quest.

The rulebook states "but he or she cannot play any new scenarios using a character with a fulfilled personal quest"
and the question becomes when does that clause "take effect"?
If it takes effect right away, then the character could not undertake any more scenarios even if they avoided returning to GH.
But it could be argued that given the context of that statement in the rulebook, that clause isn't triggered until the character returns to GH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
The rulebook states "but he or she cannot play any new scenarios using a character with a fulfilled personal quest"
and the question becomes when does that clause "take effect"?
If it takes effect right away, then the character could not undertake any more scenarios even if they avoided returning to GH.
But it could be argued that given the context of that statement in the rulebook, that clause isn't triggered until the character returns to GH.

The next sentence in the rulebook reads: "The character has accomplished his or her dreams and has no more motivation to go exploring monster-filled ruins." I don't think you're permitted to continue adventuring just by avoiding Gloomhaven. It certainly isn't in the spirit of the rule, and I think the line you quote is pretty clear: you "cannot play any new scenarios using a character with a fulfilled personal quest."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it's a derailment, but the Retirement thing is quite interesting. I agree that the rules seem to say that once you achieve your PQ you must announce retirement and that you cannot play any new scenarios with that character. Bit of a bummer if you fulfil your PQ while on the first of a sequence of Linked scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.