4 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Making a board game for school application rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Farkas Etterer
msg tools
Hi I'm new and have a question,
I am making a board game for my application for a study on game design.
Please share your thoughts if you think there might be some sinkholes in my concept, so that i can figure out a way to fix possible problems. (Im not asking you to make my application, just feedback on my thoughts)

I'm just going to write my thought process on the goal and subject of the game.

The subject is given by the school and it has to revolve around me and the education.
So I immediately think of my relationship to this school and learning in general, then think of me, my daily life and day/night cycles and habits(good or bad). This already gives me a few presets for a boardgame already and a feel that I want to convey in the play itself.
Either have a 'game of life' type of progression where there is a clear begin and end vs a 'monopoly' type where the player cycles around the field continuously to build up points towards the end goal.

Initially I pretty much despised the subject of this assignment(me and school?! ugh!) and almost went with chutes and ladders setup; virtues could be: being conscientious and industrious, watching motivational videos, or even getting back to work by influence of mom, girlfriend or coffee, haha.
vs bad habits(there is enough of those.)
I have a feeling they might think me stupid if I'd make chutes n ladders since I am applying for game design and there is not much design going on in there, BUT now that I wrote it out, from a philosophical point I find it fitting more and more.

The main feel and mechanic I want to convey is the sense of cycle, but also that there is many barriers and it doesn't always go the way you plan.

Examples of cycles(day/night; project completion/new project; habits towards growth)

Player turn example.:
Players could be either drawing a card at the begin and end of their turn that could describe their morning or how their day went or is going to go. And give them a -or+1 steps in their turn if its a oneway board(game of life, chutes n ladders)

or have players decide for themselves if they want to 'learn a habit' or 'work on a project' by taking habit cards that can act as a memory challenge that the player has to do every round in order to get a mobility crutch and if they do the card instructions bad or wrong order(that might happen after a few rounds of having that card and having to do those habits out of memory) the card is lost or is in relapse(where it can be discarded or kept for further bonus)

I dont have a prototype im just in my thoughts atm. Day 3 of brainstorm.

If you read all that thank you!
Have a good one,
Wolph

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
Where are all these schools that are requiring students to design board games?

And why design a board game as an object lesson? First learn science and math instead, then design board games for fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corsaire
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Play some modern board games. Go to a local store or cafe or maybe there is a game club at your school. For your current thoughts, I'd suggest seeing if you can find Tokaido to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mack_me_Bucko wrote:
Where are all these schools that are requiring students to design board games?

And why design a board game as an object lesson? First learn science and math instead, then design board games for fun.

Some (video) game design courses at colleges have entry requirements like this, there's one near my place that does. Of course they also require you to have at least a Bachelor's degree in a relevant field (Computer Science, in that case).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.