Subject: Chapter I first turn event change/correction thoughts. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So a (for me) big change in the gameflow zeems to have spawned from the distribution of non-english kanguage versions of the game. It's trivial mechanjcally but I think fairly significant in terms of gameplay impact so I felt like a thread might be fun for discussion.

Besides:

CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb

Can't make *all* the polls.

Change in question:after resolving the chapter I card, draw an event card from the event deck for your first day.

Poll
1. When playing This War of Mine, did you treat the Chapter I card as it's own Day?
Yes
No
Not at furst but switched
Originally yes, but switched
2. Which do you feel increases the difficulty of the final objective?

Event drawn on the first day, badstuff out the gate!
Chapter I as it's own day, prolonging the struggle to survive.
It is about the same.
      59 answers
Poll created by Shadrach
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For my money I played with Chapter I as its own day which I think is also the more difficult to win. TWOM is about attrition and less time is your friend.

I do think chapter I as its own day is a better way for a teaching game. It gives players a chance to approach the other mechanics before being forced to tackle responding to the event. They aren't required to have a plan out of the gate, which allows a little more 'at your pace' learning.

This is not (from me) a 'This change sucks!' thread. I could play either way and be fine with it. This is curiozity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heinrich Glumpler
Germany
Koeln
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
I would like to throw in, that playing the Chapter 1 as it's own day can make the game a little bit easier, because this way you gain one day for fullfilling some of the first objective cards ("gathering water" for example).

The rewards for such "gathering" objective cards are quite important - as are the sanctions for failing them.

Well - if you're out of luck in regard to the objective cards ... you're out of luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the difficulty remains somewhat the same.

Sure you get no event and no cold, but you also have one extra day to feed and water people. That about events it out. No other big change is there as far as I can see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Eklund
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just had Rat Infestation as the first Event of the game. It basically means the starting Hunger is 3 for everyone. I wish I didn't read this errata.. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played Chapter 1 without Event until now. Will try the new/correct way next time it rotates to the table.

For all the negatives of playing an Event first turn (although Airdrop would be nice), I think it would harder playing out the extra day. Food and Water are always a struggle but another night of night raids and adding in the harder stranger/night raids cards, plus the additional dawn phase and resolving spirit (because you know it will be coffee/cigarette craving not being sated with a rise in misery).

Ultimately though I won't know till I play so I may change my mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jokeroz wrote:
Played Chapter 1 without Event until now. Will try the new/correct way next time it rotates to the table.

For all the negatives of playing an Event first turn (although Airdrop would be nice), I think it would harder playing out the extra day..

In my limited experience, if you make it to the final day, you're generally "positioned" to handle whatever's left with at least a decent chance at managing. This change to me is brutal, it puts you in a much harder position to meet the first objective and that will take you down hard.

I'm still stunned it's supposed to be this way and even now I'm not 100% convinced. It just doesn't fit the flow of the game, and I thought the intent was for the average game to last 10 days, which is where I thought the original deck count ended up. Don't have the cards in front of me though, going from memory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris penoyer
United States
California
flag msg tools
it just depends on the event card you draw and how it interacts with your survivors.

if you take additional hits to your actions... you're really going to be up against it.
but if you're able to dodge some of the nastier event cards it can make the game easier as you'll have one less day of suffering to get through than usual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do we have a definitive answer somewhere that says you must pull an event for Chapter 1?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Eklund
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkowitz wrote:
Do we have a definitive answer somewhere that says you must pull an event for Chapter 1?

I think we have. Here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1915270/errata-you-must-dra...

But I also think it makes the game much more swingy, in case you draw the event like Rat Infestation (makes the game painfully hard) and if you draw Airdrop, it makes the game much easier (and it doesn't make really sense because the previous day didn't really happen), so I'd rather ignore this rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jokeroz wrote:

For all the negatives of playing an Event first turn (although Airdrop would be nice), I think it would harder playing out the extra day. Food and Water are always a struggle but another night of night raids and adding in the harder stranger/night raids cards, plus the additional dawn phase and resolving spirit (because you know it will be coffee/cigarette craving not being sated with a rise in misery).

Read de FAQs for the events phase... I recall that airdrop or bombardment? events are simply ignored if drawn on the very first turn (since there isn't a prior night to refer to), so it is not that good news...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shu1984 wrote:
jokeroz wrote:

Read de FAQs for the events phase... I recall that airdrop or bombardment? events are simply ignored if drawn on the very first turn (since there isn't a prior night to refer to), so it is not that good news...

This reminds me of a thread posted here a long time ago. It was hinting at the question of chapter 1 being an event card or not, because of these specific event rules.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1839633/cold-tokens-and-fir...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.