Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Est. 2005
badge
_____BGG.CON_____ BGG@SEA BGG.Spring
mbmbmbmbmb

At BGG.CON back in November we announced that Cabot Creamery Co-operative is sponsoring a recipe contest where the grand prize is a trip for two on our 2018 BGG@SEA to Alaska!.

If you weren't at BGG.CON or haven't seen the ads running here on the site, we still want to make sure you know about the contest and get your recipes submitted before the contest ends on March 11th.

In fact, there will be three winners! From the Official Rules:
Quote:
PRIZES AND THEIR APPROXIMATE RETAIL VALUES (“ARV”):

THREE (3) GRAND PRIZES: Each Grand Prize consists of one (1) double occupancy cabin on the Explorer of the Seas sailing out of Seattle, Washington on June 29, 2018 for the BGG@SEA 2018 Cruise to Alaska and two (2) Gaming Access Passes – includes Game Room and Library Access, airfare, hotel room in Seattle the night prior to sailing. The ARV of Each Grand Prize: $7,193;

TWENTY (20) RANDOMLY SELECTED NON-WINNING ENTRANTS: Each Randomly Selected Non-Winning Entrant prize consists of one (1) Cabot Cheese Gift Box designated by Sponsor. The ARV of each Prize: $25.

THE TOTAL ARV OF ALL PRIZES: $21,829.

Be sure to read the "Eligibility" and "How to Enter" sections of the rules carefully.

I'll try to answer any questions I can, but this contest is completely sponsored and managed by Cabot Creamery Co-operative; they just happened to have purchased their grand prizes from BGG@SEA. But we're glad they did!

And in case you're not confident in your cheese-creativity, or aren't eligible for the contest, there are still limited cabins left for purchase, for both weeks:
Last Chance for BGG@SEA 2018 (Alaska)!! Remaining Inventory will be returned April 10th!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Scott
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love cheese! I love cruising!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yanik D'Aigle
Canada
Yellowknife
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great contest. It sucks that only Americans can enter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bobafett6666 wrote:
Great contest. It sucks that only Americans can enter.

Yeah. Seattle and the cruise would have been something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCarty
United States
La Crescent
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not that I'm likely to enter, but what happens if a current cruiser wins? (I suppose it isn't to late to cancel)

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Est. 2005
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
N9IWP wrote:
Not that I'm likely to enter, but what happens if a current cruiser wins? (I suppose it isn't to late to cancel)

Brian

Since the contest ends before the refund deadline we'd be able to work it out with any trouble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
What a strange contest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a great idea, but when I went to their site, they don't carry brie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
So who is judging this contest? Is it a BGG person? Or is it some person from Cabot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam Houston wrote:
I had a great idea, but when I went to their site, they don't carry brie.

Nope, looks like mostly various cheddars, and a couple cheeses of similar form factor (jack, swiss).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Est. 2005
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
So who is judging this contest? Is it a BGG person? Or is it some person from Cabot?

At this point I don't know any BGG involvement in the judging. I'm guessing it will be handled internally at Cabot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Fletcher
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a pretty fascinating contest “format“. That’s quite a bit of effort to genter. Makes me wonder how many people will actually make a good-faith attempt at an original submission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Shever
United States
Washington DC
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Here was my submission.

Cucumber, Avocado and Cream Cheese Sushi Go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
benshever wrote:

Here was my submission.

Cucumber, Avocado and Cream Cheese Sushi Go!

Right, this is exactly why I asked the above. To someone who is fairly well versed in hobby games, this is pretty cool. To someone whose knowledge of games *maybe* includes Catan and Ticket to Ride, it's just kind of confusing (since their example was a Chess/Checker board, it's a little hard to say where the knowledge of the judges extends).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
/me stacks a bunch of cheese together and calls it Jenga.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Shever
United States
Washington DC
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dunno if the author of this note is a judge, but at least this proves *someone* in the company is a gamer.

https://m.facebook.com/notes/cabot-creamery-co-operative/gam...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
/me stacks a bunch of cheese together and calls it Jenga.

They actually have that as a submission
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
benshever wrote:
Dunno if the author of this note is a judge, but at least this proves *someone* in the company is a gamer.

That actually helps a ton, thanks you! The contest rules were very vague on what they're looking for. Practicality or Creativity. I'm sure it's a mix of everything but still just hard to know where to go from when they're only example is cheese on crackers presented like a checkers board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like they have a whole game day cookbook already, which presumably is the kind of stuff they're looking for? Kind of finger foods, if it's game themed all the better?

https://www.cabotcheese.coop/filebin/images/recipes/Cabots_G...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TyDeL wrote:
Looks like they have a whole game day cookbook already, which presumably is the kind of stuff they're looking for? Kind of finger foods, if it's game themed all the better?

https://www.cabotcheese.coop/filebin/images/recipes/Cabots_G...

The "Game Day" in question here appears to be sportsball-watching rather than board game playing (keep your greasy melted-cheese fingers away from my game )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Gibbons
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
Cult of the Golden Lurker
badge
Mugwump of the Golden Lurkers
mbmbmbmbmb
Ironically, I cannot find any significant amount of their product in the Puget Sound region to make stuff. Think they would notice if I used Tillamook?

Not that I have any idea what type cheese presentation I would do if I could find their products.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gibbo wrote:
Ironically, I cannot find any significant amount of their product in the Puget Sound region to make stuff. Think they would notice if I used Tillamook?

Not that I have any idea what type cheese presentation I would do if I could find their products.

Pretty sure they won't be able to tell what brand you're using for the photo, just make sure it's a product they actually carry (e.g. no brie, bleu, Venezuelan Beaver Cheese, etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
benshever wrote:

I have to assume that a company willing to sponsor $22K in prizes for a BGG cruise has some clue what said cruise is all about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DJ Kuul A wrote:
benshever wrote:

I have to assume that a company willing to sponsor $22K in prizes for a BGG cruise has some clue what said cruise is all about.

Fair, though it's still a little unclear if they want some amazing looking thing for photos or a recipe that someone could actually make. The chessboard thing makes me think they want something doable, not just "look what I can do with crazy knife skills, a bunch of cheese, and 4 hours" (not *me* per se – all I could do with my knife skills, a bunch of cheese, and 4 hours is gain 10 pounds).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Averill Earls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Yes! That's me! I am a gamer, and I am a judge of the contest. The official Judging reqs are:

(i) Originality and Creativity of the Recipe (0-20 points); (ii) Visual Appearance of the Recipe featured in the Image (0-20 points); (iii) Composition of the Caption (0-20 points); and (iv) Taste (0-40 points)

Essentially we want a board game-themed recipe. It can be as visually obvious as a Jenga stack made of cheese rectangles, or cheese and crackers checkers, or something more abstract - I like to give the example of a Munchkin "Change Your Class Curse" array of dips, where you have a "Warrior" Dip, a "Thief" dip... etc, (and come up with what each of those would taste like LOL), have little meeple tortilla chips, and Bob's your uncle. Entries that are visually obvious probably don't need much explanation in the caption; more abstract ones probably will.

So yes it takes some effort, but it's also a free cruise with airfare!? And obviously the best cruise known to man, because board games
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.