9 Posts

Elder Sign: Omens of the Deep» Forums » General

Subject: Seems impossibly hard what am I doing wrong? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played 2 games and felt hopelessly doomed both games vs Dagon and Cthulhu. Please tell me if we are playing any of these wrong:

In phase 1 any time the omen moves forward OR BACK a deep one appears. Both the Calling and Echo of Dreams midnight effect is to move the omen back, as well as several other cards. It seemed like the omen moved forward and back each day creating 2 deep ones.

Killing the deep ones early in the game is very difficult because you are often missing an ally, skill, spell or whatever. (Can you look at the underside of a deep one before engaging them or is that supposed to be a secret?) So when we finally defeat a demon and an adventure often he just comes back which causes the ship to flip. Then things go south REAL quick.

Also please clarify Dagon's ability when we played him he had 6 deep ones which resulted in a 7 sanity loss... Easily killing all of us. Is there a way to keep him from collecting deep ones?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see now both side of deep ones are open info so we shouldn't be wasting our time fighting deep ones we cannot eradicate. That will help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
DOL are just a mental trap. Leave them on the board, unless you're desperate. And yes, what you need to actually kill them is open info.

OotD is by far the easiest instalment in the Omens series, once you figure out the proper strategy (so far it's the only game for which my win-loss ration is 100-0), so, don't give up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am confused.

If there are 4 legions out it flips my ship over and advances us to stage two and so many of them can pop out. Can you give me some tips on the correct strategy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep the doom count low (to zero if possible). Hit At Midnight effects as fast as possible. Keep an eye on the DOL in play and put those on insignificant adventures. As long as you have 2, you don't have the need to hassle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok I figured out my problem after 5 HORRIBLE LOSSES. I should not be summoning a dark one EACH TIME the omen moves forward or backward... Only when it moves to the left-most spot...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
VirtualAlex wrote:
Ok I figured out my problem after 5 HORRIBLE LOSSES. I should not be summoning a dark one EACH TIME the omen moves forward or backward... Only when it moves to the left-most spot...

Ouch! Yeah, that would have indeed been too brutal...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's really bad iconography honestly... It really threw me off. Oh well I am on the right page now. We won the next time we tried.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Kudos for the victory, Alex!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.