Subject: Questions after introducing 4 new players! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Hulting
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmb
Now I've finally played this game with four new players and we had a blast. Unfortunately it got a little too easy but next time we'll probably sort that out. I had no idea it would get that much easier with 5 and the initial lair spawns don't really change that much. A couple of questions:

1. We played Rescue my daughter and Lucy's doll with one lair and one hunting pack on a 12x12 Tile and then a 6x6 tile. I also replaced three minions with a Stalker in each quest. Are double lairs and double hunting packs the way to go to up the challenge?

2. How does the Stalker movement work? Does it need 4 squares for each movement or is this just for end of movement?

3. When are we ready for a journeyman module? The ones with two skulls.

-peter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kelly
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
2. How does the Stalker movement work? Does it need 4 squares for each movement or is this just for end of movement?

Every movement point the stalker makes it needs to be able to be placed as if that was the last point of the move, so it needs 4 squares every single time not just at the start and the end, it is how you can control it's movement as a hero.

Of course if it is using it's special ability to replace crawlers, it just needs the 4 spaces at the point it is being placed at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Japan
Saitama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool! Glad to hear it went well!

More heroes certainly makes things easier. Double lairs is an option or perhaps use a tile with a miniboss. Things can go sideways quickly though, which could of course be part of the fun!

I've only played the first act of Rise of the Revenant, but that is a two skull quest and we started as four complete novice hereos. It was certainly a tough fight, but we managed it in the end and by that time we had some cool extra gear so continuing into act 2 felt doable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi Bureau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More heroes also usually mean a huge amount of APs every cycle. Even more so in first games as players are used to do the most they can, so high AP and high threat are classics for first times!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Renwick
Australia
Avalon
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Double lairs would be pretty tough, but it might be fun to see the horror on your friends faces as they’re swarmed by minions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Japan
Saitama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darby_ wrote:
Double lairs would be pretty tough, but it might be fun to see the horror on your friends faces as they’re swarmed by minions.

This is a good point. Try dialing it way up to let them experience how tough it can be, and then simply reset when they inevitebly die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hulting
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmb
Cogdiz wrote:
Cool! Glad to hear it went well!

More heroes certainly makes things easier. Double lairs is an option or perhaps use a tile with a miniboss. Things can go sideways quickly though, which could of course be part of the fun!

I've only played the first act of Rise of the Revenant, but that is a two skull quest and we started as four complete novice hereos. It was certainly a tough fight, but we managed it in the end and by that time we had some cool extra gear so continuing into act 2 felt doable.

My group is very focused on maximising drops and getting more loot so now everyone has at least a green item and some have two. One actually managed to draw the blue added token and another bought one from a merchant. This means the Lucy's trouble quest, which probably will end this trilogy, will have to be very challenging. It's meant to have a mini boss, but I'm not sure that will be enough. Any suggestions?

Afler that it will be tough telling them they can't keep any gear for our next quest. To get a title and keep an item we have to beat a boss so maybe I could replace he mini boss from Lucy's trouble. Would Bones be too much?

As I'm thinking it's a bit on the easy side with five players, Rise of the Revenant might be a good next story quest. I'm even considering house ruling and let them keep another item or adding a new card to thelp player deck. Would that be too much?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
IMHO just adding more lairs / minions to a tile to raise the difficulty will tire your group out in no time.
Fighting an epic battle on a 12x24 with 2 or even 3 lairs is fun, but if you do it all the time, the game grinds to a halt and becomes a chore rather than fun (at least, that's what I've witnessed countless times).

What you need to understand is, that the whole point of fighting minions / captains and lairs is to gear-up for a boss battle. You're supposed to mawn down minions and even captains, because they're basically nothing else than walking treasure tokens.
While the quest cards add a nice bit of spice and flavor to the killing, their primary reason of exsitance is, to allow you to optimize your treasure bag, so next time you play, finding good gear becomes easier.
Traps are here to provide Serendipity - a valuable resource, that can turn the tide of battle.

Look at minions, quests and traps as tools you use to get your party the best gear possible in the most efficient way possible over the course of a session.
That's one of the reasons I keep telling people they need to prepare a final goal / battle for each session. If you don't do that, your goal for the session is to optimize the treasure bag and that can feel a bit like "whaaatttt???" to a lot of players (especially new ones).
The bosses (and to a certain extend the mini-bosses) are MYTH's endgame. Beating one of those is, what a session should prepare you for. You don't need blue equip, titles and JM hero cards to wipe out a bunch of minions.

So for your next session, do the following:

- Prepare a final goal - Like the last tile has a certain mini-boss or boss you must fight.

- If you use any rules to keep items between sessions - don't. Everyone starts with brown gear.

- Try to setup your quests in a way, that will allow the heroes to farm the max. treasure count for each tile, but won't hurt them / slow them down too much (remember, that each tile has a treasure limit, so even if you slaugther a 100 minions, you will not be able to gain more treasure). This is something you'll learn over time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hulting
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmb
Nimmzwei, I see your point. If we would have had a little more time the final quest for the session would have been Lucy's trouble. There's a mini boss there that seemed like a perfect final. Considering my plan was to play the all in a row I'll let everyone keep the gear and strip them after the final tile. Maybe I'll reward us with a title or such so were ready for Rise of the Revenant afterwards. You think that can work out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
You might keep in mind, that there are 2 big difficulty "screws" that you can tighten or loosen - depending on the preferences of your gaming buddies:

1) Gear. If you allow your players to keep gear, you'll eventually reach a point, where fighting anything beside mini-bosses and bosses is totally pointless. To keep the entire content of the game relevant, I strongly recommend, that you start each session with brown gear.

2) Acolyte. The Acolyte is the most imbalanced hero in MYTH, because he provides constant healing - a resource, that, without him, is pretty difficult to come by. If you find your games too easy, remove him from the rooster of available heroes and you'll find that the descision you make on your way to the final encounter start to matter a lot more.

The key to a successful and fun MYTH session is preperation. From what I read, I think you're on the right track. If you want to play RoR - do so. It can be a fun and valuable experience, even if you don't make it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Japan
Saitama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent advice from Tobias! Especially regarding the Acolyte, in a way s/he's a training wheels kind of characters that will allow you to make more mistakes as you learn the game, but might make things too easy once you've grasped good tactics.

When it comes to bosses it's usually all about not getting hit. It's not unusual for a hero to go down from one or two hits. I remember the finale of act 1 of RoR when Yardu turned up. We thought he wouldn't pose much of a problem and got in a few good hits. But then we positioned ourselves badly and Yardu rolled nasty on his Fate dice, knocking out two heroes and badly wounding a third. We managed in the end, but it was a struggle...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hulting
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmb
Any suggestions for a title as a reward for killing Lucys captor that isn't too overpowered? And perhaps goes well with the story part?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the game isn't really designed for progression (old argument) but the ways a character can progress include card swaps, titles, and gear.

Card swaps can be powerful, but they're subtle. Titles CAN be massive or not depending on the title. Gear is more potentially helpful right away. Since the game is really built on player controlled adventure/threat/progress, then depending on whether you intend to continue playing this character over a larger number of tiles, the reward either has to be subtle (if it's for a long time, maybe a card swap) or less so (nice piece of gear or a title).

If you intend to play the Journeyman boxes, you'll need card swaps and a title for each character and then you'll need to pick a light or dark direction for the character and maybe a card swap for that direction or two. Keeping that in mind, you could plan out those benefits over the time of your play prior to playing the Journeyman adventure. I would advise skipping the sailing rules if you do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hulting
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmb
I hear you. I was actually planning on finishing the Lucy quest chain, from there gon to Rise of the Revenant and hopefully jump into Journeyman from there. I've understood RoR awards you with two card swaps and a title so I figured I could perhaps make a card swap and a title after the Lucy quest chain and let the group be fully prepared for Journeyman after RoR. Should work out right? Now I only need to find a title that is plain enough...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Belloque wrote:
I hear you. I was actually planning on finishing the Lucy quest chain, from there gon to Rise of the Revenant and hopefully jump into Journeyman from there. I've understood RoR awards you with two card swaps and a title so I figured I could perhaps make a card swap and a title after the Lucy quest chain and let the group be fully prepared for Journeyman after RoR. Should work out right? Now I only need to find a title that is plain enough...

Well, we played about 10 games in succession for our "mini" campaign in which over the course of the first 4 or so, we gradually added at least 2 card swaps and a title and acquired gear as normal (and kept it). We gradually built up the threat to match our capability as per free form adventuring (adventure mode is I think the 2.0 term).

Then we picked a light/dark path for each character and upgraded to the new versions of our characters, picking 1 card swap (I think, it might have been 2). Then we played through the adventure which took us about 6 4 hour sessions). I felt like we were a pretty good fit for the adventure. We had the standard characters though (Acolyte, Apprentice, Soldier, Brigand).

It was fun, but it was quite an ordeal to break it down between games and set it all back up. Insert would help but Myth isn't popular enough for someone to sell one. And an overlay for the player board and darkness board would help, but same problem. We probably should have persevered to use the Darkness app, but it was kind of difficult to figure out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hulting
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sounds like fun and just what I'm hoping for with my group.

What title did you guys get at first and from what quest?

I will probably try to stick with the rules for gear keeping as mentioned above. The group is way to effective as is anyways. But we'll see when we get to mini bosses and bosses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Belloque wrote:
Sounds like fun and just what I'm hoping for with my group.

What title did you guys get at first and from what quest?

I will probably try to stick with the rules for gear keeping as mentioned above. The group is way to effective as is anyways. But we'll see when we get to mini bosses and bosses.

I don't honestly remember but we tried to pick them based on what the class did. I remember picking the one that gives you better Non combat actions for the Brigand. And we awarded the title just before entering into the JM adventure. Those 4 sessions were just one tile after another, not part of an adventure. Those adventures take a LONG time plus they often have a lot unsaid, so you have to do a lot of guessing there too. Don't be surprised if you have a lot of "what the heck does that mean?" moments going through an adventure. Be ready to leap in and make command decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.