15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » United States » Southwest

Subject: Visiting Phoenix in May - what can I expect? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald M.
United States
flag msg tools
I plan to take a vacation in the southwest, probably Phoenix and other cities.

I know it is very hot in the summer so I try to avoid that type of weather. The earliest I can go is late April or 1st week of May.

Are the temperatures not to hot? Can I go to some interesting gaming clubs and other meetups? Are there any conventions in that time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Been in Arizona since 1985! April and May are my two favorite months of the year. Warm but not hot. You can golf, hike, swim - nothing is off limits.

You can check out www.Meetup.com/Arizonagames or www.meetup.com/northeastvalleygames for some game days.

No conventions that I know of during that timeframe.

The Friday night Meetup in Tempe gets anywhere from 25 - 40 people. I overheard someone once say “it’s like a small con every weekend”

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Expect temperatures in the mid- to high- 80s. And sunshine.

Plenty of excursions within reach of Phoenix. Susan hosts the meetup site, but there are multiple events each week, so it should be easy to connect. I've visited their groups on two occasions and everyone was friendly and welcoming.

If you detour by Tucson, post dates and I'll get you info about groups down here.

Enjoy your vacation!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Rose
United States
South Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I came here to post the same thing. I will have 4 days, May 19-22nd, between vacationing with my wife and attending a conference in Phoenix. I'm dropping my wife off at the airport in Phoenix on Saturday morning, and will have some alone time to explore for a couple of days. I was hoping to find a group, or at least a game store that hosts a game day for one of the days. Any other suggestions for activities would be great, as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Depends on your interests and past travel experiences. If it were my first trip to the region, I'd drive to one of the national monuments or Sedona but I like archeology and scenic drives.

Finding people to play board games is the easy piece.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scooters76 wrote:
I came here to post the same thing. I will have 4 days, May 19-22nd, between vacationing with my wife and attending a conference in Phoenix. I'm dropping my wife off at the airport in Phoenix on Saturday morning, and will have some alone time to explore for a couple of days. I was hoping to find a group, or at least a game store that hosts a game day for one of the days. Any other suggestions for activities would be great, as well.

https://www.facebook.com/Gamedepotaz/ in Tempe hosts some game days. I'm not certain which days they do open gaming as they also host Magic tournaments and Warhammer, etc. So I would keep an eye on their Facebook page to see if they are hosting games when you are in town.

Also these meetup groups are pretty popular and have variety of events that could align well with your plans depending on what part of the valley you are staying in: (It's a big city!)

https://www.meetup.com/Northeast-Valley-Games/
https://www.meetup.com/NORTH-PHOENIX-GAMES/
https://www.meetup.com/ArizonaGames (Tempe/mesa)

Full disclosure: I run/host the last one, but I also game at all 3 meetups so I can vouch for all three groups/people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Rose
United States
South Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked at the meetup in Tempe, and that looked like fun. And I think I'm going to be staying in that area, so that might work out well.

My wife and I will be in Sedona for a few days of mountain biking, and will be seeing the Grand Canyon. I did some visits to parks off of I-40 twenty years ago, but I've never been in the Phoenix area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Yeung
United States
Paradise Valley
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mid May is the beginning of summer - expect 100 degree days - but it’s not too bad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Rose
United States
South Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We just made it through a week straight of minus ten a couple of weeks back. I’m not a huge fan of hot weather, but I’ll take a week of it early. My summer won’t fully hit until July.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
flag msg tools
I think Consim world is in June IIRC. Now is the best time as my friend is visiting there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
flag msg tools
You have a lot of Canadians living there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
flag msg tools
DomerHoo wrote:
Mid May is the beginning of summer - expect 100 degree days - but it’s not too bad

Oh My 100 F is hot! I've been to Las Vegas when it was 110 and couldn't stand it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Yeung
United States
Paradise Valley
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:
DomerHoo wrote:

Oh My 100 F is hot! I've been to Las Vegas when it was 110 and couldn't stand it.

It's dry heat - as long as you're inside (especially between 12-6) it's fine. It's only if you are in the sun it gets hot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:
You have a lot of Canadians living there?

Yes, but only for about 4 to 6 months in any given year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark S

East Valley
Arizona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been a very warm winter so I'd except and even warmer spring/summer. Plan for 100.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.