Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edward Kowynia
United States
Bedford
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HI, I have a couple of questions about making mapboards. I know there is a "builders" file for the maps in the file sections. I have a few ideas for some scenarios I would like to try out. To that end, I need some raised roads on dikes such as can be found in the Netherlands. And I also need a raised railroad bed. I am planning on creating some boards for this. Are there any pointers anyone can give on creation. I do understand the need to keep boards anthropomorphic and can work with that. Just wondering, for those who have done some map board creation, are there any trouble spots to watch for in the process.
Thanks, Ed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Lloyd
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So long as you keep the road & points, the only trouble is learning the tools. Hexdraw is probably the best for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Kowynia
United States
Bedford
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info. Can I change the road on E-W sides to be RR or is it a template where I need to keep it as it is? Hope my question makes sense.
If the map board, for anthropomorphic reasons is a template, I get it. otherwise, I can make E-W roads be RR tracks. If it is locked, I will look into something a bit different.
Raised roads on dikes is much easier.
Thanks, Ed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Roper
South Africa
Hout Bay
Western Cape
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use Paint.net as my drawing tool and have created a Template to keep the geomorphic elements aligned. It is bitmap, rather than raster, graphics but as I work at 4200 x 2550 pixels per map, the resolution is high enough to print well and by scaling to 1952 x 1127 they work in the VASSAL module too, which is great for testing as you go.

The mask layers are:
1) Grass Background
2) Road/river edge
3) map ID
4) Hex Grid
5) Grid Numbers
6) Centers
6) Cut Mask

Here is a low res copy, still in the template, of the part 2 of a 2 map set I created yesterday:

As you can see the Road on the East Edge misses the registration marker for the road and I have partial roads heading North and South on the East edge.

This is because it is part of as a 2 map set like this:

If you use Paint.net and think the template may be of help I will be happy to send it to you.

Cheers
Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Kowynia
United States
Bedford
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks very much for the info Chris. Let me take a look at Paint.net and I will let you know. I just uploaded Hexdraw last night so I can play around with that but your method maybe sounds a bit easier. I will let you know and thanks, Ed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Is there any way you could upload your paint.net template? I use GIMP so your template will work with a plug-in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.