Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: 2x modffier clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to clarify, when drawing a 2x card it would multiply the total? So when attacking a poisoned enemy it would be e.g. (2+1) x2 and not 2 x2 +1?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jussi-Pekka Jokinen
Finland
Riihimäki
flag msg tools
At me!
badge
For the Marquise!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As a rule of thumb, the modifier is the last thing you add, so the poison's effect would be doubled as well.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rulebook top of page 20 describes the different things that can affect an attack value and the order in which they are applied.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ftl ftw
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, you apply any bonuses the attacker has from cards and abilities and effects, in any order.

Then, you apply the attack modifier.

Then, you apply any defensive bonuses the defender has.

Example: If you have an attack 2, on a poisoned enemy with 1 shield, and draw a 2x modifier.

Base attack is 2, you add one from the poison to get (2+1)=3.

Attack modifier is x2, so you get (2+1)*2 = 6 attack

Lastly apply the shield, so get (2+1)*2 - 1 = 5.

Another example: You're a scoundrel, base attack of 2, using the ability card that gives you double damage if you're invisible. You draw a +1 attack modifier, enemy has no shield.

Base attack is 2, apply your ability to make it 2*2 = 4

Apply the attack modifier to get 2*2+1 = 5

Apply any defensive bonuses, but there are none, so 2*2+1=5 damage is the final answer.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Fung
United States
Westbury
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree. Pg 10 of the FAQ says that poison is applied after amount of damage is resolved so 2 base damage x2 bless = 4 and then in either order +1poison -1 shield = 4 damage.

Unless FAQ is incorrect.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fre kol
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
tmf2115 wrote:
I disagree. Pg 10 of the FAQ says that poison is applied after amount of damage is resolved so 2 base damage x2 bless = 4 and then in either order +1poison -1 shield = 4 damage.

Unless FAQ is incorrect.


I believe this to mean that a poison condition is applied after the attack. However, if you’re already poisoned, that +1 modifier is applied before the attack card modifier.

This also means that a +poison effect does not affect an attack through which such effect was caused.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Mitchell
United States
Snyder
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
frekol wrote:


I believe this to mean that a poison condition is applied after the attack. However, if you’re already poisoned, that +1 modifier is applied before the attack card modifier.

This also means that a +poison effect does not affect an attack through which such effect was caused.


This is correct.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
ftl_ftw wrote:
First, you apply any bonuses the attacker has from cards and abilities and effects, in any order.

Then, you apply the attack modifier.

Another example: You're a scoundrel, base attack of 2, using the ability card that gives you double damage if you're invisible. You draw a +1 attack modifier, enemy has no shield.

Base attack is 2, apply your ability to make it 2*2 = 4

Apply the attack modifier to get 2*2+1 = 5



I don't believe this is correct. You can add the modifiers in any order. So it would be (2+1)*2=6. You COULD add it in your order, but you'd be reducing your total damage and would almost never choose to do so.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
Avatar
squegeeboo wrote:
ftl_ftw wrote:
First, you apply any bonuses the attacker has from cards and abilities and effects, in any order.

Then, you apply the attack modifier.

Another example: You're a scoundrel, base attack of 2, using the ability card that gives you double damage if you're invisible. You draw a +1 attack modifier, enemy has no shield.

Base attack is 2, apply your ability to make it 2*2 = 4

Apply the attack modifier to get 2*2+1 = 5



I don't believe this is correct. You can add the modifiers in any order. So it would be (2+1)*2=6. You COULD add it in your order, but you'd be reducing your total damage and would almost never choose to do so.
You are incorrect. The rulebook is very specific in the order. See page 20
Quote:
When attacking, the base attack value written on the card can be modified by three types of values in the
following order. Repeat these steps for each individual enemy targeted by the attack:

• An attacker’s attack modifiers are applied first. These modifiers include bonuses and penalties from
active ability cards, items, and other sources (e.g., +1 Attack from POISON).

• Next, an attack modifier card is drawn from the attacker’s attack modifier deck and applied.

• Lastly, the defender’s defensive bonuses are applied. This reduces the incoming attack value for each
individual enemy targeted based on each defender’s own shield modifier or other defensive bonuses.

• If there are multiple modifiers in any single step of this process, the player chooses the order in which
they are applied. Also note that because the bonuses are applied per target, it is possible for the same
attack action to ultimately deal different damage to each enemy it targets.

So all non-card modifiers are applied first. Then the card modifier is applied to that. And lastly any of the defender's modifiers, like Shield.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Joou wrote:
squegeeboo wrote:
ftl_ftw wrote:
First, you apply any bonuses the attacker has from cards and abilities and effects, in any order.

Then, you apply the attack modifier.

Another example: You're a scoundrel, base attack of 2, using the ability card that gives you double damage if you're invisible. You draw a +1 attack modifier, enemy has no shield.

Base attack is 2, apply your ability to make it 2*2 = 4

Apply the attack modifier to get 2*2+1 = 5



I don't believe this is correct. You can add the modifiers in any order. So it would be (2+1)*2=6. You COULD add it in your order, but you'd be reducing your total damage and would almost never choose to do so.
You are incorrect. The rulebook is very specific in the order. See page 20
Quote:
When attacking, the base attack value written on the card can be modified by three types of values in the
following order. Repeat these steps for each individual enemy targeted by the attack:

• An attacker’s attack modifiers are applied first. These modifiers include bonuses and penalties from
active ability cards, items, and other sources (e.g., +1 Attack from POISON).

• Next, an attack modifier card is drawn from the attacker’s attack modifier deck and applied.

• Lastly, the defender’s defensive bonuses are applied. This reduces the incoming attack value for each
individual enemy targeted based on each defender’s own shield modifier or other defensive bonuses.

• If there are multiple modifiers in any single step of this process, the player chooses the order in which
they are applied. Also note that because the bonuses are applied per target, it is possible for the same
attack action to ultimately deal different damage to each enemy it targets.

So all non-card modifiers are applied first. Then the card modifier is applied to that. And lastly any of the defender's modifiers, like Shield.


Well, F, my scoundrel just got that much weaker.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
squegeeboo wrote:
Joou wrote:
squegeeboo wrote:
ftl_ftw wrote:
First, you apply any bonuses the attacker has from cards and abilities and effects, in any order.

Then, you apply the attack modifier.

Another example: You're a scoundrel, base attack of 2, using the ability card that gives you double damage if you're invisible. You draw a +1 attack modifier, enemy has no shield.

Base attack is 2, apply your ability to make it 2*2 = 4

Apply the attack modifier to get 2*2+1 = 5



I don't believe this is correct. You can add the modifiers in any order. So it would be (2+1)*2=6. You COULD add it in your order, but you'd be reducing your total damage and would almost never choose to do so.
You are incorrect. The rulebook is very specific in the order. See page 20
Quote:
When attacking, the base attack value written on the card can be modified by three types of values in the
following order. Repeat these steps for each individual enemy targeted by the attack:

• An attacker’s attack modifiers are applied first. These modifiers include bonuses and penalties from
active ability cards, items, and other sources (e.g., +1 Attack from POISON).

• Next, an attack modifier card is drawn from the attacker’s attack modifier deck and applied.

• Lastly, the defender’s defensive bonuses are applied. This reduces the incoming attack value for each
individual enemy targeted based on each defender’s own shield modifier or other defensive bonuses.

• If there are multiple modifiers in any single step of this process, the player chooses the order in which
they are applied. Also note that because the bonuses are applied per target, it is possible for the same
attack action to ultimately deal different damage to each enemy it targets.

So all non-card modifiers are applied first. Then the card modifier is applied to that. And lastly any of the defender's modifiers, like Shield.


Well, F, my scoundrel just got that much weaker.


Why's that?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ftl ftw
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, this hurts scoundrel a bit. I don't think it's a huge difference though, one point or two. Scoundrel's got a way to double their damage while invisible, and this rule means that the doubling has to take place before the modifier draw. So if you draw a +1 or +2, you can't double that.

Not a huge deal, but if you're playing on high enough difficulty, every hp counts...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ftl_ftw wrote:
Well, this hurts scoundrel a bit. I don't think it's a huge difference though, one point or two. Scoundrel's got a way to double their damage while invisible, and this rule means that the doubling has to take place before the modifier draw. So if you draw a +1 or +2, you can't double that.

Not a huge deal, but if you're playing on high enough difficulty, every hp counts...


On the plus side (heh), it also means that the doubling happens before a -1 or -2 does.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.