9 Posts

The Duke» Forums » General

Subject: How different does this play/feel than Jarl? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moo Cow
msg tools
mb
So, I found out about this game and did some looking around and found out about Jarl. It was cheaper on Amazon and I like the Viking theme, so I gave it a go.

We (my daughter and I) didn't find it so fun; I liked the concept of the game, but it felt a little too defensive and at times felt impossible to put the Jarl in danger because the movement of the tiles just never matched up properly and his defense made it even more difficult. Now - I don't mind defense and I'm not saying it was too hard - it just felt tedious. The game felt like it took too long and it felt like a chore, trying to pin him down.

I'm wondering if I should have just picked up The Duke, instead. It seems faster and more engaging. Less of a defensive struggle of trying to find a hole and more about big moves and really having to watch your Duke or he's toast.

But - based on what I said about Jarl, would people say it plays differently enough to be worth looking into? I really like the concept of the game; but I feel that I may have made a mistake with Jarl. I just don't want to waste my money on The Duke and find that it doesn't play as differently as I would hope.

Extra Credit -> How is this company's customer service? I got two pieces that were stuck together by paint. I cleaned them off and one was fine, the other basically has no point because it was wet and just came off. If I contact them, do you think I'll be able to get a replacement piece for it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jarl is much more defensive than Duke and also a longer game. You really have to setup a big takedown. Duke has a lot more mobility (particularly with all the sliding and jump-sliding). So if you're looking for a more aggressive game, Duke is the way to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
United States
Pottsboro
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm trying to reform though.
badge
On the restless road to nowhere, there's no certain peace it seems.
mbmbmbmbmb
Caibre wrote:
Jarl is much more defensive than Duke and also a longer game. You really have to setup a big takedown. Duke has a lot more mobility (particularly with all the sliding and jump-sliding). So if you're looking for a more aggressive game, Duke is the way to go.

Plus Duke has all the swappable expansion modules that can change the flavor quite a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Corrigan
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
[[img]https://boardgamegeek.com/jswidget.php?username=Krsnaji&numitems=5&header=1&text=title&images=medium&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=left&inline=1&addstyles=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1[/img]
mbmbmbmbmb
Phogg wrote:
Caibre wrote:

Plus Duke has all the swappable expansion modules that can change the flavor quite a bit.

Having a gazzillion expansion with variously themed two sided tiles may appeal to folks who grew up within the CCG paradigm. But otherwise both are interresting and fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
United States
Pottsboro
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm trying to reform though.
badge
On the restless road to nowhere, there's no certain peace it seems.
mbmbmbmbmb
Krsnaji wrote:
Phogg wrote:
Caibre wrote:

Having a gazzillion expansion with variously themed two sided tiles may appeal to folks who grew up within the CCG paradigm. But otherwise both are interresting and fun.

I far predate the introduction of CCGs.
I go back to the day when we modded our own games because not that many came out.

And both are interesting and fun.

If the rumored Japanese iteration of the system ever makes it to market, I will instabuy that and I fully expect it to be fun as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Vickers
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the above sentiment. Jarl is a "closer quarter" combat game with defense icons on many pieces. The slide icons in The Duke allows for rapid movement around the board. This is intentional of course, and by design to allow for variable play if you decide to combine sets. I like both. I suggest The Duke to new comers as there are fewer icons...i believe. Honestly both are easy enough.
I do think that strategy is varied between the two games somewhat. See for more detailed comparison.

Regarding customer service...yeah keep waiting. Homestly as much as I love the game, I am constantly amazed by Catalyst Games utter lack of customer service or community awareness. In an industry like the close knit board gaming community I dont understand how they can coldly ignore so many on these forums and elsewhere for so long.

Regardless get it all if you like abstract strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Broussard
United States
Carencro
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like both versions but I feel like Jarl games last a lot longer on average than Duke games because the Jarl tiles are "busier". The more options a tile has the longer the games tend to be in my experience. I prefer a two or three shorter games in one sitting as oppose to one loooong game so I tend to play Duke more than Jarl. Also while I love the heft and feel of the Jarl tiles, the color scheme makes me go cross eyed. One set has the black ink and the other has the white and mix that with all the speckles its just hard for me to see them well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4andreb wrote:
I like both versions but I feel like Jarl games last a lot longer on average than Duke games because the Jarl tiles are "busier". The more options a tile has the longer the games tend to be in my experience. I prefer a two or three shorter games in one sitting as oppose to one loooong game so I tend to play Duke more than Jarl. Also while I love the heft and feel of the Jarl tiles, the color scheme makes me go cross eyed. One set has the black ink and the other has the white and mix that with all the speckles its just hard for me to see them well.

THIS! Exactly. I own both, but I've played Jarl 3 times compared to 130 games of the Duke.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played Jarl, but I have seen the tiles, and there are several that are asymmetrical (attack options different for left/right). Whether this is good or bad is subjective, but I know from playing Onitama that it can slow the game down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.