Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The ability on the top of the Smoke Bomb card doubles the value of the next attack made by the Scoundrel while they are invisible.

According to the rulebook (top of pg 20), attack values are calculated in this order:
1) An attacker’s attack modifiers are applied first. These modifiers include bonuses and penalties from active ability cards, items, and other sources (e.g., +1 Attack from POISON).

2) Next, an attack modifier card is drawn from the attacker’s attack modifier deck and applied.

3) Lastly, the defender’s defensive bonuses are applied. This reduces the incoming attack value for each individual enemy targeted based on each defender’s own shield modifier or other defensive bonuses.

This means that the attack modifier card effect is NOT doubled by the Smoke Bomb effect, because the smoke bomb effect is applied in step 1 while the attack modifier card isn't applied until step 2.

This doesn't make a difference when the 2x AttMod card (or the Null card for that matter) is drawn, but it does make a difference with any other AttMod card.

Now perhaps this was obvious to most of you all, but I just now realized that I had been playing it wrong. oops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Greenfly
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simply - youre wrong.
Watch this video of Isaac https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G5ToOPj-JU , in particular check passage around 5:25. There will be your answer.

And please, read a passage about the NULL modifier once again, you are understanding it wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
JayJ79 wrote:
This means that the attack modifier card effect is NOT doubled by the Smoke Bomb effect, because the smoke bomb effect is applied in step 1 while the attack modifier card isn't applied until step 2.
This is how we've been playing it as well. It basically doubles the value of what your "Attack X" action would be, without counting the attack modifier card but counting other effects like Poison.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
PhilGreenfly wrote:
Simply - youre wrong.
Watch this video of Isaac https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G5ToOPj-JU , in particular check passage around 5:25. There will be your answer.

And please, read a passage about the NULL modifier once again, you are understanding it wrong.

In his example in the video at 5:25, the only mention of an AttMod card that I heard Isaac mention was the 2x. in which case it does not matter whether the Smoke Bomb 2x came before or after the AttMod card, since the math works out the same. Same with the Null card, since that takes the damage x 0.

But the order in which it is applied DOES matter when the AttMod is a + or a -
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Greenfly
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
PhilGreenfly wrote:
Simply - youre wrong.

In his example in the video at 5:25, the only mention of an AttMod card that I heard Isaac mention was the 2x. in which case it does not matter whether the Smoke Bomb 2x came before or after the AttMod card, since the math works out the same. Same with the Null card, since that takes the damage x 0.

But the order in which it is applied DOES matter when the AttMod is a + or a -

Of course the value of the attack modifier matters and no, it will not be doubled by the smoke bomb since it is the last (positive) thing you do in the dmg calculation. What I understood from your first comments was it will not get doubled if you draw 2x modifier card since you are alrady doubling it by the Smoke Bomb. Sorry if I understood you wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
You understood him wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.