Popular Tags: [View All]
Joris Peijs
Netherlands
Uithoorn
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the rules... this looks fun, there is 1 problem tho.

Player elimination? really? That wouldnt work. My friends and me get together maybe 4 times a year to play boardgames, we cant afford to be annihilated!

So far I saw no post regarding this. But I'm sure some-one came up with a clever mechanism to give players a second try.

Did anyone think of this?

For example, I see 4 drawings on the oceans. Roll a D4 every second turn and the eliminated player gets an invasion force of X units to attack any attached territories.... or something.... please tell me if you dealed with this problem.

Thanks.
Joris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joris Peijs
Netherlands
Uithoorn
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
orrrrrr.... eliminated players are assigned to the player with the smallest number of crowns so far. They may only play 1 order card per round... or something. But may recruit in that players casttles and cities

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
In reality, my experience is that player elimination doesn't happen in this game among adult players, at least not until maybe the final round of the game when it's about to end for everyone.

Why target the player who's no threat? Instead, you should create a non-aggression pact with that player. Now you have one less front to worry about.

Besides, even if player elimination does happen, it's not going to happen early, and it's a short game anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
In reality, my experience is that player elimination doesn't happen in this game among adult players, at least not until maybe the final round of the game when it's about to end for everyone.

Why target the player who's no threat? Instead, you should create a non-aggression pact with that player. Now you have one less front to worry about.

Besides, even if player elimination does happen, it's not going to happen early, and it's a short game anyway.

Agreed - I've played this several times now, really enjoyed it, and don't see player elimination an issue until the game is almost over, when essentially everyone will be eliminated. Don't worry about - it's a non-issue. Just play this great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joris Peijs
Netherlands
Uithoorn
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ok thanks both of you... I m sure we ll be fine then!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Rucker

RANCHO SANTA MARGARITA
California
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Joris - Player elimination has been heavily mitigated to the point where even if you are knocked off your last city, you can still play an extra round if you purchased a crown card (meaning you get one extra round to try to re-gain a city and stay in the game).

It's a very generous and forgiving elimination system and even during the numerous pre-prod play-testing it never came up unless we intentionally meta-gamed to force the circumstance (and even then it was difficult).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rosenberg
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
James, so glad to see you on these boards!
You designed a wonderful game -- wish it was getting more widespread attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
jrose1 wrote:
wish it was getting more widespread attention.

Indeed! I have a prediction that this may become extremely rare a year or so from now. Hasbro has a longstanding habit of publishing spin-off franchise games and then abandoning them completely. Then the game gets stuck in limbo because Hasbro won't republish it, but won't license it out to another publisher either.

We need to convince Mr. Rucker to start courting other publishers with his future designs. It's a pity to have him stuck in the Hasbro machine, but it probably pays the bills a little more consistently than freelancing would.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.